Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Other Raptors -- Questions, Information and General Discussion
 Coopers Hawk (accipiter cooperri)
 |  Printable Version
By: ostrich (offline) on Sunday, April 12 2015 @ 08:47 PM EDT  
ostrich

There has been lots of activity continuing the past few days - the female is in the park more and more frequently as she typically has in the past as egg laying gets closer. The female still seems to be spending some of the time near the old nest and some time near the new, although all of the actual nest building and stick work I've seen recently has all been on the new nest. On Friday morning I managed to catch a food delivery by the male followed by copulation, and early this evening both of them were out there close to the new nest, and there was a quick copulation. The male brought several new sticks up to the new nest after that, but as yet there is no indication of eggs.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Thursday, April 16 2015 @ 08:53 PM EDT  
ostrich

The last two days there has been yet more activity, it looks to be continuing to pick up, and it certainly should be getting closer and closer to eggs. Yesterday evening I found the female on a low branch consuming food with the male perched nearby, the food looked nearly eaten though so I missed the delivery, and if there was mating I missed that too. The male tends to grab sticks and fly them up to the new nest after he's brought the food and the female is eating. So they really are indicating more and more strongly that they intend to switch to the new tree.

This evening I went out and again found the female with food just north of the new nest area, and it looked like a fresh bird delivery, she was starting to pull off feathers. The male went up to the new nest with a stick and then returned to where the female was and there was mating again. The male seems to be doing a good job again making regular captures, so hopefully he can keep up again with the food.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Sunday, April 19 2015 @ 09:36 PM EDT  
ostrich

Yesterday there was some interesting behavior in the evening - the female was up on nest for quite a while and her demeanor was quite different, she wasn't moving sticks or poking in the bowl, she was just standing still on or near the rim. That's also a behavior I've seen in the past as egg laying approaches - she'll start spending periods of time right on the nest more frequently, as if she's aware that egg laying is getting closer. I thought I might even find her incubating when I went out this morning but it was all quiet, so it may still be a few days.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 19 2015 @ 09:54 PM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks for your updates and descriptions, ostrich - and I do wonder if she is close. It is amazing what we learn by watching the various cams - or, if we're lucky, watching live and in person.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Monday, April 27 2015 @ 06:29 PM EDT  
ostrich

I'm happy to say that the hawks are definitely incubating - I am putting down Apr 25 as the first day I'm certain she was up there consistently, but it's possible she might have started earlier in the week. For a couple of days I was sure I'd seen some movement or a head up there but I could never get a definite view. Coopers will also delay incubation until the 3rd egg, so that could also be part of it, although I would expect if there were any eggs she would be right nearby in the nest tree, so I don't know.

I recorded some footage a few days ago to document the old and new nest trees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDFy7kRDB54

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Monday, June 08 2015 @ 04:35 PM EDT  
ostrich

I am very happy to say that we definitely have at least two hawklets hatched - I was finally able to catch two white heads popping up above the nest rim this morning. I've strongly suspected a hatch for at least a good week now - it's been a number of days that I've seen the female frequently sitting pretty high and acting like there's something down there. But it's been hard to get that final confirmation - I'd caught the female going to retrieve food deliveries from the male the last few days but then seeing the female appear to eat the food herself and not bring any to nest or start feeding. A couple of days ago I did finally see a delivery where she brought the food in, and looked like she was probably feeding. But I just couldn't catch sight of anything in the bowl.

Based on the three previous years I'm expecting three hawklets, but the oak tree has really filled in with thick leaves, so it's going to be a lot harder to keep track of what's going on.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Sunday, June 14 2015 @ 10:59 AM EDT  
ostrich

I haven't had a lot of luck getting good looks at the hawklets the last week - unless I'm there when a feeding is going on, usually the female is brooding and I can sometimes see little glimpses of them moving around a little bit underneath, but they're mostly lower than the bowl. Yesterday evening the female was off the nest for a little bit and a couple of the heads were poking up a bit over the edge of the rim and I could hear the male around. About 20 min later there was a feeding though and I got another good view of at least two of the hawklets standing up much higher and poking their heads well above the rim. I still haven't been able to confirm if there is a third or not though, I haven't succeeded in seeing more than two heads at any one time.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Wednesday, June 17 2015 @ 10:09 PM EDT  
ostrich

The hawklets are starting to occasionally stand up a bit higher now, and I believe there are the beginnings of pin feathers starting to come in. However a lot of the time they are still down in the bowl and nearly out of sight.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 12:57 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate