Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Other Raptors -- Questions, Information and General Discussion
 Coopers Hawk (accipiter cooperri)
 |  Printable Version
By: ostrich (offline) on Saturday, June 22 2013 @ 08:08 PM EDT  
ostrich

I'm happy to report that I've been able to confirm at least 3 hawklets in the nest - the older ones are starting to stand up higher now and are doing a bit of flapping. But they're all still got a lot of white down on them so feathers aren't in yet.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Wednesday, June 26 2013 @ 10:23 PM EDT  
ostrich

It's a real challenge getting any shots this year because of all the twigs and branches around the nest but the hawklets are losing their white down fast:

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Monday, July 01 2013 @ 08:55 PM EDT  
ostrich

One hawklet has started branching a few times, I think only one so far, the oldest seems to be quite a bit further along than the others in development.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, July 01 2013 @ 09:05 PM EDT  
JudyB

Great pictures, Ian! Is the oldest (or most assertive) fed first, as is the case with eagles and osprey? I've been assuming that's likely with most if not all raptors, but don't actually know. I have seen some eagle nests where the youngest is quite a bit behind - but does catch up at the end as long as the food keeps coming.

Looking back, it was June 6 when you thought there was a hatch - are they really branching in a month or less?

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Sunday, July 07 2013 @ 09:47 PM EDT  
ostrich

The Coopers really do grow up quickly - it seems like they're just hatching and suddenly they're branching and exploring their surroundings. I was able to confirm this weekend that at least two have fledged, I'm not sure about the 3rd - it was branching but didn't look ready for flight when I saw her on Saturday. She looks bigger so I'm thinking she's a female. Last year I had the first confirmed fledging July 15, and they did seem to be about a week ahead of last year's schedule for egg laying and hatching, so I guess they're about right. They seem to be rather more laid back about sharing the food but until they've grown pretty big it's hard to see.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, July 07 2013 @ 11:27 PM EDT  
JudyB

That is a spectacular picture! Thanks for the update and the info, Ian.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: elle (offline) on Saturday, July 13 2013 @ 09:35 PM EDT  
elle

Good news Ian. Our neighbourhood Coopers Hawks DID nest this year after all. They were very discreet about it!LOL and escaped detection until now because they moved nests again. I saw 2 fledglings today. Left thumb up Got some pix.

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Monday, July 15 2013 @ 11:26 AM EDT  
elle

Here are a few pix I took a couple of days ago of the Coopers Hawks in my neighbourhood. I could hear them whistling before I saw them. I could see a tail sticking out of the nest and then one flew out to a branch where I took its pictures. There appear to be only 2. Perhaps there are more in the nest or they have flown away already.

Click on image to download

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 06:27 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate