Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Other Raptors -- Questions, Information and General Discussion
 Coopers Hawk (accipiter cooperri)
 |  Printable Version
By: ostrich (offline) on Sunday, May 01 2016 @ 07:42 PM EDT  
ostrich

Well, I'm disappointed to report that suddenly activity in the park seems to have ceased - I haven't seen any sign of either adult in the park for over two weeks now. We're past the point when I would expect egg laying, so I'm assuming they aren't going to use the nest in the park. This is a bit similar to a number of years ago when they suddenly decided not to nest in the park, but I did get occasional sightings over the summer especially west of the park. I don't know if the female just isn't going to lay this year (also something that's happened in the past), or they've relocated. It's always possible something happened to one of the adults prior to laying.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Sunday, May 29 2016 @ 09:23 PM EDT  
ostrich

A couple of weeks ago I was fortunate enough to find out from the folks at the Nature Centre where the resident High Park Coopers hawks had their nest, during a predawn bird walk, and we did see one of the adults near the end of the walk. Afterwards I spent some time watching the nest for any signs of activity, but I didn't see any sign it was in use. However after about 15 min of exploring around the area of last year's nest I was able to spot the current one with the female incubating - they switched to a conifer about 60 paces away from the previous nest. On May 8 when we had the bird walk they were already incubating, but I don't know when they laid.

From May 15:

I believe this is the female:

This is probably the male, although I'm not nearly as familiar with this pair.

The nest is a pretty spacious one, fortunately there are good sightlines to see it.

From May 23:

If this pair lays on a similar schedule to my locals, they should have laid around late April, in which case we ought to be pretty close or perhaps already had hatching. If they laid later, up to May 7, then we might not be at hatching yet.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Tuesday, June 14 2016 @ 07:01 PM EDT  
ostrich

I'm quite happy to say that there definitely appears to have been at least one hatch for the High Park pair - on Saturday I finally caught a clear feeding with the female pulling pieces of food and offering them down into the bowl. Any hawklets were still too small to be seen other than a bit of movement visible right at the edge, but I do suspect based on the female's behavior that she might well have had a hatch for at least a week prior, or perhaps more.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Wednesday, June 22 2016 @ 08:45 PM EDT  
ostrich

This last weekend I was able to observe the High Park hawklets a bit, there are certainly at least two, although for the most part they're still not too visible over the rim, but heads pop up enough to be seen from time to time. Even during a feeding though they weren't stretching up high enough to see more than the tops of the heads.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Sunday, July 10 2016 @ 11:34 PM EDT  
ostrich

The past couple of weeks the hawklets have been progressing well;

A couple of clips from 06/25 show their development with still noticeable secondary down, but lots of development of the primaries and secondaries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgjU5f1OTq0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NKlqNao1tE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gbYRNJYUQc

From the development on these hawklets as of 06/25 I think it would be fair to guess they would have about 4 weeks development. That would provide an estimate of hatching around May 28, which is probably reasonable given incubation period of ~30+ days, and they were already incubating for an unknown period as of May 7.

From clips on 07/02, another week of development had most of the rest of their secondary down lost, and I was able to establish in these clips that there were in fact four total hawklets which hadn't been observed previously. They also showed that the hawklets were at least starting initial stages of branching, along branches near the bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-jg4WfxzMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uapSdHQu4cM

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Sunday, July 10 2016 @ 11:50 PM EDT  
ostrich

This last few days I'd been continuing to see branching when visiting the nest, although with some ambiguity over whether any might have actually been off the nest tree or not. This morning when I visited the nest, one hawklet was branched just above the nest bowl and I was able to spot two others hunkered down in the nest, without any clear indication of the 4th. However after about 45 min the adult female who was also roosting nearby responded to an announcement call from the male and returned a few minutes later and made a food drop directly into the nest. This elicited vocalizations and movement from the 4th hawklet, which was hidden down in an adjacent tree about 25ft below the bowl. The food drop caused it to start slowly flapping its way upwards from one branch to another until it got back up to the nest. I checked again on the nest area about 30 min later and I heard one making typical juvenile whistling vocalizations from a tree a bit farther away from the nest tree. But I don't know if it was the same one in both cases or not.

So at least one hawklet has fledged off the nest tree (and probably more than one of them), but they're still using the nest and nest ree quite a bit for roosting and food drops at this point.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Friday, July 15 2016 @ 11:43 AM EDT  
ostrich

On Wednesday I was able to check the nest again, and I was able to spot one hawklet further away from the nest than I've seen thus far, it was about 40 paces away on a snag eating (actually the same snag that the male sometimes uses for food transfers). One other one was branched near the nest and at least one in the bowl.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Tuesday, July 19 2016 @ 08:10 PM EDT  
ostrich

On the weekend I was able to spend the morning tracking the juveniles around the nest area. All four have definitely fledged now although I was never able to spot more than three of them at any one time. However from seeing flights to and from the nest tree area as well as moving vocalizations all around the surrounding trees they all were definitely off nest and now exploring the area. But they can be much harder to keep track of now once they get into the trees. Fortunately at least 3 of them are I think using the nest bowl as a place to eat so that's bringing them back there regularly.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 12:44 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate