Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Other Raptors -- Questions, Information and General Discussion
 Coopers Hawk (accipiter cooperri)
 |  Printable Version
By: ostrich (offline) on Monday, August 10 2015 @ 11:01 PM EDT  
ostrich

I was able to spot one of the juveniles flying around through the foliage in the west area of the park in the morning and early evening yesterday, and there sounded like some faint vocalizations from an adult east of the park. They could disperse at any day now so I'm keeping track of any sightings. Last year the last left Aug 26, so they could still be around for a while but the previous two years they left quite a bit earlier than that.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Saturday, August 15 2015 @ 06:01 PM EDT  
ostrich

This week on Wednesday I did get one sighting of one of the juveniles - while looking at the pine trees along the north edge of the park 4 or 5 robins were all hopping around from branch to branch, when suddenly all of them darted instantly into the center of the pines. The shadow of one of the Coopers passed overhead and it circled a bit near the trees which caused the evasive maneuver by the robins - but it turned and ended up moving away out the edge along the SE side.

Yesterday I went out about 8:30am and caught another milestone - one of the juveniles perched very high up at the top of the large tree on the N side, the one the adults will sometimes roost in. That is by far the highest altitude I have seen them achieve since fledging. It flushed after a couple of minutes and flew along the N edge parallel to the park - I'm pretty sure I caught a glimpse of it continuing flight to the E, by that time at least a street or two over, almost certainly ranging well out of the park.

They are surely making flights well out of the park now, I have not caught a sighting yesterday or today, I am watching now to see if there are any more visits to the park or whether they have dispersed. Their presence in the park now if they're around, may be so infrequent that it will be difficult to catch them.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Friday, August 21 2015 @ 07:55 PM EDT  
ostrich

I'm sorry to say I haven't had a sighting of either juvenile in almost a week now - I'll continue to keep a look out for a few days more but it looks like they've probably dispersed. So barring any further sightings I'm putting down Aug 12 as the last sighting for this year. Fare well youngsters.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, August 21 2015 @ 10:04 PM EDT  
JudyB

What wonderful pictures of beautiful young hawks - thanks so much for sharing them here, ostrich! It sounds as if they were around for a month or so after fledging - I'm always happy when I can see youngsters for a while to know that they're off to a good start.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Friday, August 28 2015 @ 08:13 PM EDT  
ostrich

I had an unexpected surprise on Wednesday evening, I was coming back in just as it was getting dark and there was a juvenile in a tree towards the west edge of the park. So I'll assume it was one of the territory, probably it was, so they may not have completely left the area. The juvenile was eating, just finishing off the last couple of bones of something, so hopefully they are now starting to catching things as well.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, August 28 2015 @ 09:08 PM EDT  
JudyB

Wonderful news - thanks, ostrich!

I do wonder if the osprey fledglings who leave are really gone, or just to busy to come back to the nest. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Thursday, September 17 2015 @ 05:36 PM EDT  
ostrich

I forgot to record that on the 9th a merlin visited the park again, and at the same time one of the adult Coopers was about 200m NE of the park area in a tree, but I don't think they were aware of each other. From all the calling from the chickadees, the Coopers might have been hunting the backyards across from the park.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Saturday, September 19 2015 @ 08:01 PM EDT  
ostrich

Well as soon as you speak of the devil, yesterday I was driving by the exact same tree and suddenly one of the adults appeared in the tree in a flash from the north. It didn't stick around long, but I was able to stop and get my bins on it, then when I decided to look down it was gone again.

Last year I did more systematic tracking of adult sightings over the fall and winter which I hope to do again, just to see how often they're around.

Sept 25 - an adult briefly zipping through the trees at the north edge of the park in the morning.
Oct 6 - one adult roosting on the north edge of the park in the morning.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 11:22 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate