Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, April 11 2012 @ 01:05 PM EDT (Read 118135 times)  
jkr

ENMAX & CALGARY ZOO OSPREY CAM

For over 17 years osprey have been returning to build a summer home at the east end of the Calgary Zoo on St. George's Island.

Click on image to download

This has been a very successful nest over the years. In 2011 the pair raised and successfully fledged 3 chicks.

The camera is owned and operated by Enmax Energy in conjunction with the Calgary Zoo.

Follow the camera HERE

Enmax Energy Facebook HERE

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, April 11 2012 @ 01:05 PM EDT  
jkr

TIMELINE

Calgary Osprey 2006
Three chicks hatched. The youngest died when he was a couple of weeks old after a terrible hailstorm.

Calgary Osprey 2007
Camera was damaged by lightning and did not stream.

Calgary Osprey 2008
3 chicks - all fledged

Calgary Osprey 2009
3 chicks -- all fledged

Calgary Osprey 2010
3 eggs laid. One egg failed to hatch.
2 chicks - both fledged.
Archive: forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=45415

Calgary Osprey 2011
3 chicks -- all fledged.
Archive: forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=175415

TIMELINE FOR 2012

April 15, 2012 ---- The female arrived. This is the first time in the past 6 years that the female arrived before the male.

April 19, 2012 ----- The male arrived.

May 2, 2012 ---- First egg laid

May 4, 2012 ---- Second egg laid

May 7, 2012 ---- Third egg laid

June 12th --- One egg hatched sometimes before dawn.

June 12th ---Second egg hatch in the afternoon. ( twins !)

One egg may be compromised after being covered with plastic early in incubation stage. The plastic was removed by Enmax and Zoo staff --- crossing our fingers that it's viable.

June 13th -- amazingly enough the Third egg hatched ! We have three chicks.

Fledging:

Chick #1 -- August 9th
Chick #2 -- August 9th
Chick #3 -- August 10th

Aug 12, 2012, Sunday. Calgary experienced one of the worst hailstorms on record. Hail the size of golf balls was reported in the Inglewood area. The chicks and Mom survived the storm but sadly Dad osprey did not and was last seen at the nest at 6:47 p.m. that evening.
Thank you to Kevin Strange of the Calgary Zoo, and the Enmax biologists, for the quick response to our emails, searching for Dad and monitoring the nest during the days to follow this tragedy.
Mom is now the sole provider for these chicks --- we worry that she may not have the energy to carry these chicks through to migration.

For two days there was no food delivered on the nest. Mom and the chicks appeared to be in shock from the storm and waiting for Dad. On the third day Mom's survival instinct kicked in and she began bringing food to her chicks. She did an amazing job of taking over Dad's responsibility. Bravo

August 23 - one of the chicks spent the night off the nest for the first time
August 24 - all three chicks spent the night off the nest

August 26 - fourth fledgling visits the nest - first confirmed sighting - all four on nest - 4 chicks plus Mom

August 28 - adult male on the nest ( younger male) - male plus 3 chicks - both adults plus chicks

September 4, 9:40 am - the last time the three resident chicks were confirmed on nest - link (two oldest chicks 12 weeks old)

September 5, 10:42 am - a volunteer with wildlife rescue group reported that an osprey was trapped on someone's balcony - link to initial post - post reporting that rescued chick had no obvious injuries, followed by pictures of rescued chick - rescuer reported that the chick had been on the balcony all day on the 4th, but arrival time not documented

September 11, 2012
Two chicks were last seen at the nest in the early morning hours. Once flying off they did not return.
Mom arrived at 4:20 p.m. and stood on the nest for almost 2 hours before leaving the nest for the final time this season.
It is safe to say migration is underway, which is right on schedule, thanks to Mom's tender loving care of her offspring.

The third chick either migrated earlier than his two siblings, or is the chick in rehab as of Sept 5. No updates from the rehab centre about a release date. This may or not be the chick from this nest.

UPDATE: CWRS reported on their Facebook page that the chick is in good condition and would be released very soon. Later it was reported, by the person who did the rescue, that the chick in rehab died while undergoing tests. No confirmation was given by the Calgary Wildlife Rehabilitation Society. They declined making comments about the chick on their Facebook page and posted to Facebook that they would not be answering questions about the chick, nor would they take phone calls or allow visitors to their facility.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 11:01 AM EDT  
BET

Sunday April 15 2012

0825am

We have one home.

A light snow is falling The O perched on the back edge - surveyed the area. Flew off.

Returned for a few minutes perching on the front edge. Then left again

She is back again perched on the front edge.

I have to compare to last years images to determine the identity. Later this am
EDIT: This appears to be our female from last year. Head and chest markings appear to be the same.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 12:42 PM EDT  
jkr

That is wonderful news BET and I'm so happy you were watching at the time. I hadn't thought to turn on the camera. With the bad weather this spring I guess I was thinking it was too early for them to arrive home. Boy, was I wrong.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 12:42 PM EDT  
BET

I forgot to note the time, but around 9:00am

Our Osprey has a new suitor!!!! Green LOL

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 12:48 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

LOL. LOL BET.

I was feeling badly for our ospreys, having to start their nest from scratch every year, but with our weather patterns it now seems like a GOOD thing if it delays their laying eggs in this weather!

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 01:18 PM EDT  
BET

They didn't used to have to build from scratch, but a couple of years ago a pair of Canadas decided that the nest was suitable for their use. Brian Keating with the help of EnMax cherry picker lift truck went up and cleaned out the nest so there was no bed for the Canadas. EnMax has continued that effort each year.

This year I have noted two pairs of Canadas down on the river and one pair comes to shore under the upper right corner of the nest box and moves up into the brush there. That's where a pair nested last year too. So, although I wish they would leave a few more sticks in the nest box, it seems to be a good idea to strip it down so the geese don't move in first.

I note they have scraped and plowed the ground under the nest area this year. I don't know why - guessing - to prevent a fire hazard if power lines go down in a storm.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 01:32 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Green LOL Yes, I know about the geese, BET, as they are everywhere! Spots all along the river are staked out early.

I haven't been down to Inglewood yet this year, had to use the few good days to go out on my bluebird trail and have been addicted to these cams too this year. I may have to quit watching altogether as company coming this summer and am waay behind. Thanks for all your beautiful s'caps on this and other nests.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:48 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate