Forum Index > H.W.F. Community Information > H.W.F. News and Announcements
 The Richard Pitt Fund
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 04 2012 @ 01:04 AM EDT (Read 3891 times)  
JudyB

Update:
Saturday, April 14, 2012

We've just received word that Richard Pitt passed away at about 7 am.

We may be setting up a separate thread at some point, but for now any farewell messages or condolences may be added to the "Good Wishes for Richard thread here - forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=289035&topic=344128#344128

Rest in peace, Richard - may your spirit soar with the eagles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have just heard that Richard Pitt - my mentor in all things "forum" - is approaching the end of his valiant battle with cancer, and will be moving from the hospital where he's been for the last couple of weeks to a hospice where he will be spending his last days.

Jkr spoke with him this morning, and he has asked that we give him our blessings as he prepares to leave this world.

When I think of Richard, I think mostly of the "little" things - how patient he was as he explained things and answered questions and made little tweaks here and there. How he always sounded cheerful, even when I was calling before he'd had his coffee.

But without his technical support, there would be no website, no forum, no cameras. Everything we have here is a tribute to David Hancock's vision - and Richard Pitt's ability to implement it.

Back when Richard was going into the hospital for his initial surgery in November, he told the other Admins and me "... if you are thinking of sending me something, please instead make a contribution to your favorite cancer charity or the Hancock Wildlife Foundation."

With that thought in mind, on behalf of David Hancock and the Forum Admin Team (jkr, Pat B, gemini and me), I am pleased to announce the establishment of the Richard Pitt Fund, to be used for projects to enhance our knowledge of wildlife through the use of technology.

This does get a bit awkward, because there are as many ways to honor Richard as there are to send him the warm wishes and blessings and love that will help ease his journey, and I don't want to suggest that this is somehow better than any other. But I do have an idea of the amount of time and energy Richard put into HWF over the past seven years, and I know that many of you who are reading this also have a commitment to Hancock Wildlife, and its goals of education, research and conservation - so if this feels right for you, you can make a donation earmarked for the Richard Pitt Fund by using the "Five Ways to Donate" link in my signature, and noting that the donation is for the Richard Pitt Fund.

We are hoping to have more details available soon - but sadly time is of the essence now.

In closing, on behalf of the Forum Admin team, Forum Assistants, Topic Assistants, and other Forum Support Team members and volunteers who've worked with Richard directly and indirectly over the years, we'd like to publicly thank Richard for "Taking HWF to the next level" - and for the support he has given all of us over the years.

Richard, sending you light and love, and our blessings.

(photo by sandra gee)

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Thursday, April 05 2012 @ 08:15 AM EDT  
Pat B

Click on image to download Click on image to download
Use the Donate button on the top bar - and put "Richard Fund" in the comment box.

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Thursday, April 12 2012 @ 08:53 AM EDT  
Pat B

Richard in the Hospice

From David H

Richard is under loving care.

It was a tough but very rewarding visit. Richard is now largely unconscious due to the drug dosage. Apparently he had some lucid moments earlier this morning.

What was quite incredible was to again meet his two boys. They have the same respectful caring approach that many of you have experienced over the phone or via email. Richard cared, his boys care. I mean they were not just looking out for dad, but spent much of the time attending to me who did not hold up as well.

It was an interesting reality -- I knew Richard some years longer than his kids. Shirley, Richard's wife, had just left when I arrived but I met some other members of the family. They all exuded the same caring and reverent attitude. What great relationships.

Last night I was going to drop by after the evening Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival meeting but the meeting went on late. David Hathaway, some of you may remember him working for Hancock House earlier, had called during the meeting to say he was just leaving Richard and the end was close. David Hathaway had worked with Richard for years. The family was so encouraging and thankful so many of you had honored him. My thanks too. I will try and see him tomorrow.

Love,

David

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:58 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate