Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Other Raptors
 California Condor Cam - San Diego Zoo Safari Park, California, US
 |  Printable Version
By: sassyk (offline) on Sunday, March 11 2012 @ 02:44 PM EDT (Read 15884 times)  
sassyk

Welcome to 'Condor Cam', live from San Diego Zoo Safari Park in California, US

2015 Season Cam Link

2015 Season -
This year's chick hatched on April 11.

2014 Season: Following the loss of Sisquoc and Shatash’s egg, the camera was moved to a different nest to feature another condor pair, Sulu and Towich, whose egg is due mid-April.

Follow the story of the egg loss and subsequent relocation of the cam HERE

2013 - A pair of California Condors named Sisquoc and Shatash, who make their home at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park in California US, have a new chick. Following is some information from San Diego Zoo Global Wildlife Conservancy site:

"About California Condor Recovery: San Diego Zoo Global was given permission to begin the first captive propagation program for California condors in the 1980s - when there were only about 22 birds left in the world. Destruction of habitat, poaching, and lead poisoning was wiping out these majestic birds. San Diego Zoo Global's California condor program has provided hope for the future of these birds, having succeeded in hatching 165 chicks and releasing 80 birds into the wild.

Sisquoc and Shatash take turns caring for their new chick! The egg began to pip—the process of a chick breaking through its egg shell—at 7 p.m. on March 7, and the chick emerged from its shell Saturday morning, March 10."

Read about the proud parents Papa Sisquoc and Mama Shatash here

More info & facts about California Condors here

Watch Sisquoc, Shatash and their new chick on the San Diego Zoo Global Condor Cam here

Please join me in sharing some special moments with Sisquoc, Shatash and their new chick. Please feel free to post your screencaptures and videos here for everyone to enjoy.

I recorded some videos of the happy parents shortly after their chick hatched and have posted them on my YouTube channel. You can watch them by clicking the link in my signature line.

Here are a few screencaptures taken from the videos I recorded shortly after the chick hatched, Saturday morning, March 10, 2012.

Sisquoc and Shatash sharing some special time together
Click on image to download

Proud Papa Sisquoc incubating his new chick

Sisquoc tending to chick (beside Sisquoc's toe)

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (online) on Sunday, March 11 2012 @ 08:18 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Congratulations Sassy on this new thread..Clapping

I don't have much time but will try to stop in here occasionally..

I just got this scap and honestly i don't know which bird it is...

I will take more time in the few days reading up on this pair and their chick...Thank you Sassy..hug

...Helpful Hints~~~~Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Monday, March 12 2012 @ 12:08 AM EDT  
AnniesKatz

ClappingVery HappyThank You Kay!, I have always loved Condors and followed them here in California so I am really happy to see this cam. Congratulations, your opening looks great!!

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Monday, March 12 2012 @ 01:28 AM EDT  
sassyk

Thanks Bev and Annie Smile Bev the males of this species are usually larger than the females. Papa Sisquoc is definitely larger than Mama Shatash and he is the one with the yellow #28 tags. From what I have seen his feather colouring seems to be a bit lighter than Shatash's.

There is a lot of excellent information about these condors on the San Diego Zoo Global Wildlife Conservancy site (link in my original post). Sisquoc was the first California condor ever hatched in a zoo; his egg was laid in the wild and taken to the San Diego Zoo where he hatched on Mar. 30, 1983. Shatash hatched at the Los Angeles Zoo.

I watched the cam several times today and every time Shatash was incubating her chick. She didn't get up so I couldn't get a s'cap of the chick. I'll try again tomorrow.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Debs (offline) on Monday, March 12 2012 @ 02:03 AM EDT  
Debs

Kay love your opening and introduction to this beautiful family Very Happy The San Diego condor program is to be commended Clapping ~~ hatching 165 chicks and releasing 80 birds back into the wild since they started their program is really wonderful and it gives us hope that beautiful bird will live on forever more Red Heart.

I am pretty busy with the eagle families I report on but will certainly stop in and help out whenever I can. I am so glad we have a thread devoted to learning about this amazing family Wub

Bev Fancy meeting you here Green LOL wuv your scap thank you so much for sharing it...they are so cute hey Clapping.

Annie Just what we need hey another family to wuv Green LOL

May you embrace all the "blessings and gifts" that surround you in your life ... let your spirit soar :-)

Forum

North Pole

Profile Email   PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Monday, March 12 2012 @ 01:18 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

GOOD MORNING CONDOR LOVERS!

Sassy, Reading the info. on SDZ page, they say they generally only tag the males which makes it easier to
tell which is which.

You are so right Deb's - Another fabulous bird to love!
I don't have a whole lot of time but surely will do regular checks on them.

I'm assuming this is Shatash. Is she in the corner with an egg? Here's a s'cap from a few minutes
ago.

Earlier this morning.

11:20a - I haven't seen a chick but looks like h/s is resting.

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Monday, March 12 2012 @ 02:04 PM EDT  
sassyk

Welcome Debs and good morning Annie. I am going to have a lot of fun watching this Condor family. I recorded a video this morning at 9:52 am and finally got a good view of the chick. Mama Shatash was incubating, got up and had a poop shot, left the chick for a short while then settled down on it again to brood. I saw the chick pecking at the bits of egg shell Wub

Video Camera here

Here are a few s'caps from the video.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Monday, March 12 2012 @ 02:32 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

Awww Kay, look at that sweet baby! I love the video. I'm already hooked! Terrible, terrible. Where am I going to find time!
Have to go now.

ETA: Forgot to tell you that I saw one of these magnificent birds some years back. We were driving the back way to Ventura, Ca. when I saw one fly from behind the mountain...awesome sight. They are so big.

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:28 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate