Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Vancouver Island Eagles - Comox Area
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: 95C4VanIsle () on Wednesday, January 20 2010 @ 05:09 PM EST (Read 11741 times)  
Anonymous: 95C4VanIsle

Hello to those viewing this thread.

I just thought a brief introduction would be in order. My wife and I are fortunate to live on the ocean just north of Comox, BC, on Vancouver Island. We are even more fortunate to have an active eagles nest about 150 meters from our house. The nest is visible from our back yard for the time being. There are some trees growing up on one of our neighbour's property that will obscure the nest in a few years but in the mean time we will enjoy our view.

We have lived here for ten years and to our knowledge the pair of eagles occupying the nest have produced young for many of those years. The nest was quite large when we moved in so I suspect the eagles had been here for quite some time before our arrival. We hope they will be here for years to come.

This is our second year of nest monitoring and each year the previous thread on the nest activity is closed. If you would like to see last years thread the link to the thread is Here. Last years thread included information on nest activity, photos and videos.

Below are a few pictures we took last year and thought we would share with you. Enjoy!

We will try to update with new information, more photos and possibly videos as time permits.

Have a great day and enjoy these majestic birds.

Mom and Dad next to the nest
Click on image to download

By: Anonymous: 95C4VanIsle () on Wednesday, January 20 2010 @ 05:10 PM EST  

I just thought I would add a couple of videos to give the viewer some perspective of where the nest is and it's proximity to our back yard. The first video also shows the two large fir trees where the eagles perch daily.

The second video is quite brief. It was much longer but I had to edit it down. My son had borrowed our video camera and had left the camera on manual focus. I didn't realize why everything in the LCD screen was "unfocused" while I was taping. When I finally realized what the problem was, and set the camera to auto focus, there was precious little time to get the video of the eagle in the yard.

By: Anonymous: 95C4VanIsle () on Wednesday, January 20 2010 @ 05:36 PM EST  

Now for a brief update on the eagles and nest activity.

During the winter there is little time to observe the nest/eagles as the days are short and I work during the week. On weekends I see both eagles daily in the perch trees out back. I also see them going to the branches next to the nest. I did notice this last weekend one of the adults dropping down into the nest bowl while the other adult perched on a branch next to the nest.

Sporadically in the late fall I noticed adults bringing nesting material to the nest. I was not outside that much this fall so there may have been more of this activity occuring but I wasn't around to observe it.

Yesterday I saw three adults and one juvie flying above the house. They were quite vocal calling out to each other. Two of the adults flew to the branches by the nest. The other adult and juvie flew out of sight.

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Monday, January 25 2010 @ 06:31 PM EST  

There you are Brett! Congrats on getting all moved in and putting your lovely eagles up already. I loved the video and well the pics go without saying. I sooo love that second one wowie.

I'll be watching for incoming update materials my friend. Great job! love

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

On Lake Huron,

Profile     PM
By: HikerBikerGram (offline) on Monday, January 25 2010 @ 08:51 PM EST  

Brett, Great information, pictures, videos and narrative. Looks like you have done a great job setting up your thread.Left thumb up I will look forward to more photos and videos in the future.wave

Wildlife Photography, Nature Provides It And We Pass It On

Joined May 12, 2009

"Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Maryville, Il USA

Profile Email   PM
By: EastCoast (offline) on Tuesday, January 26 2010 @ 11:15 AM EST  

wave Bret - Nice to see you have moved over to the new forum. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing more about this pair of eagles.

~ Laurie ~

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks” ~ John Muir

Durham Bridge, New
Brunswick CANADA

Profile Email   PM
By: Anonymous: 95C4VanIsle () on Tuesday, January 26 2010 @ 12:53 PM EST  

I just thought I would add a few pictures of the resident eagles that I took last year when the weather was better. These pictures were on last years thread but for those who do not go back to review the thread they are worth taking a peek at until I can get some more recent pictures uploaded.

By: CovingtonKat (offline) on Tuesday, January 26 2010 @ 05:07 PM EST  

Hooray for you, Bret, on re-starting/re-loading your thread! Beautiful eagles - and the background scenery ain't so bad neither!!!

I look forward to seeing your eagles often!

HWF Member since March 2006.

Covington, WA

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:19 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Please Donate

Please Donate!