Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 UBC Botanical Gardens
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: iansmith () on Saturday, March 13 2010 @ 07:21 PM EST (Read 3797 times)  
Anonymous: iansmith

I first reported these nests in the old forum. Here's a link back there to start with.
http://discuss.hancockwildlifechannel.o ... amp;t=3175

There are two nest which are quite close to each other. I would say less than 1000 feet. The first one and best known by the staff at the Botanical garden, is near the center of the garden in their oldest tree. The tree was struck by lightning last year and was severley damaged. Luckily the nest appears to be on the highest branches that were not damaged. While I was up at the site today, I did not see any eagles on the nest, I did see an eagle perching at the top of this tree.

The second nest is west, south-west of the first. It is below the old road, which is now used for access to the "clothing optional" beach. This is just behind the botanical gardens. There were a pair of eagles from this nest sitting just to the north of the gardens parking lot. One eagle made a short trip over to the nest and back, but they spent most of there time by the parking lot.

I've attached an image to this post which I first posted last April. This shows the general area in relation to the intersection of Marine Drive and 16th Avenue, and UBC Thunderbird Stadium. The image is a screenshot from google maps.
Click on image to download
I have also included an image of one eagle at the top of the nest tree.
The third image is of the 2nd pair hanging around in the tree north of the parking lot.

By: Anonymous: iansmith () on Saturday, March 13 2010 @ 07:42 PM EST  

Here's a photo of the first nest that is in the center of the gardens. To find it, walk into the gardens (after paying your admission). Then find the tunnel that goes under marine drive. Stand at the intersection of the trails with your back to the tunnel. You are now facing the nest tree. It's the one with the lightning damage. The nest is at the top on the right.

By: Anonymous: iansmith () on Saturday, March 13 2010 @ 07:46 PM EST  

To find the second nest keep walking into the gardens past the first nest tree. Find "Ludlow" trail. (I think I remember that correctly). There's a small bridge with no handrails. After you cross it look southwest. Tree is over towards the ocean. The attached picture is from April 2009.

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, March 13 2010 @ 07:56 PM EST  
jkr

Ian, I wonder if one pair of eagles own both of those nests much like our Sidney eagles having two nests ?

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: iansmith () on Saturday, March 13 2010 @ 08:24 PM EST  

Not sure about the nests. I'll be watching. There were definitely 3 eagles sitting there. One of the pair in the tree to the north of the parking lot made a trip to the 2nd nest. The other single eagle was sitting at the top of the 1st nest tree. Don't know. I'll need to keep going back for more info. Maybe one of them is a bigamist??? That would add a little drama to the forums. Unfortunately, I work, so I'll only be up there on weekends.

By: Anonymous: iansmith () on Saturday, March 13 2010 @ 08:28 PM EST  

Here's a link to the UBC Botanical Garden Website.

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/visitorinfo/

By: Anonymous: iansmith () on Sunday, March 21 2010 @ 11:13 PM EDT  

I spent about 90 minutes up at the gardens this morning. There was one eagle sitting near the top of the damaged tree (with the first nest). Watched the second nest for a long time, and no activity at it, not even a head popping up. I would say it's vacant, but I'll try to keep an eye on it as my time allows. There were a couple of other eagles circling to the north, so maybe they have a nest further down the road.

By: Anonymous: iansmith () on Thursday, May 06 2010 @ 10:05 PM EDT  

Finally got back up to the UBC Botanical nest. There were a pair or eagles perched in the dead tree north of the parking lot. Nothing visible at either nest location.

All times are EST. The time is now 07:19 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate