Forum Index > H.W.F. Goes Wild in the Schools > School Classrooms
 Oostburg Elementary School - Oostburg, WI
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Friday, December 09 2011 @ 10:44 AM EST (Read 11887 times)  
jkr

WELCOME OOSTBURG ELEMENTARY SCHOOL wave

This grade 3 class is taught by our own HWF member jacx

We know you will enjoy watching the eagle cameras and we are looking forward to having you share your ideas, projects and questions with us. Have fun !

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jacx (offline) on Thursday, January 05 2012 @ 03:48 PM EST  
jacx

Hello - I will be on medical leave most of this month but wanted to check in. I have been trying to watch the White Rock nest but haven't had any luck of seeing them for myself in the nest. This nest is something else - when it is windy. It has me nervous wondering how the nest will stay there. They have no protection when the weather is bad. I wanted to double check...this would be the best one to watch with 3rd graders? Do you have another that would be good? Sometimes it is nice to switch back and forth to see what is going on.

Thanks.

Mrs. Puerzer (jacx)

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, January 24 2012 @ 01:52 PM EST  
jkr

Hi jacx :hello:
The White Rock nest should hold up under all the wind they have had lately but with the unpredictable weather the past couple of years anything is possible. We always worry about our eagle families but they are a lot smarter than we are when it comes to knowing what is a safe nest. With the track record of this pair it is likely they will have another beautiful family this year.

Another quite reliable pair to watch are the Delta2 eagles. They raised two beautiful eaglets last season and they have been doing a bang up job of nestorations lately. If all goes well there will be a second camera on this nest quite soon fingers crossed
index.php?topic=Delta2#new-camera

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jacx (offline) on Thursday, March 15 2012 @ 09:32 PM EDT  
jacx

Hello - I am finally back in the classroom and my students are so excited to get started on the study of eagle nests. Well we have been watching the White Rock Nest. Could you tell me where to find all the specifics of this particular nest?

We watched the nest for a very short time a few days ago before an egg was laid and the wind storm was unbelievable. The kids were so worried about the nest falling from the tree. When we watched a bit later it did look like many of the sticks had fallen. The class would like to know if they fix this up?

We were wondering have 2 eggs been laid or 1? I would like to read the daily update of the nest. Are there any videos or just still pictures and what exactly do we go to to review the day before?

Hearing about the Hornby site...oh my gosh...I would hope this actually happens. That is where I began with my students a few years ago.

I was looking for the site I used during that time with Hornby...could you possibly find me that site? I really want to share this with my students because of the videos and some beautiful pictures I had. We also had many good questions...and answers that my class had asked. I really want to share that information with my current students.

Thanks for any time you could take to answer any questions. Thanks.

Mrs. Puerzer
3rd grade teacher

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, March 17 2012 @ 12:46 AM EDT  
jkr

I am so glad that you are enjoying the eagles so much this season. Now that they are laying their eggs we are counting down the 35 days to hatching and likely many more eggs on the way before then.

As of this evening (March 16th) the White Rock pair have TWO eggs on their nest....... if there is to be a third egg it will be laid approx. 3 days from now.

For all daily information about the White Rock nest we have our on-going discussion area here: forum/viewtopic.php?forum=64&showtopic=128387&show=15&page=1
You will find pictures and videos taken by our own HWF members who are following this nest.
If you would like to see past events for this nest they are kept in our archives at the bottom of our forum page.
forum/index.php?forum=85

Yes, it is exciting that HEGPS has plans in the works to broadcast the Hornby eagles. As you know that's where all this eagle addiction started for most of us.
We do have archives of the Hornby nest going back as far as 2006 which are on our old archived forum. That forum is now locked for posting but still available for reading.
http://discuss.hancockwildlifechannel.o ... 539b3a4160

And, of course there are photos in our Media Gallery for both White Rock and Hornby

mediagallery/album.php?aid=805&page=1

mediagallery/album.php?aid=443&page=1

Enjoy !

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jacx (offline) on Monday, April 02 2012 @ 11:20 AM EDT  
jacx

Sitting eagle

Here we are at Oostburg Elementary, Mrs. Puerzer's class. We are wondering if the eagle nest at White Rock has more than 2 eggs? Is the date for hatching about 4/20 or 4/21?

G. How big is the eagle nest?

Thanks. We look forward to learning about the eagles the rest of this year.

:hello:

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Monday, April 02 2012 @ 12:20 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

Good Morning Mrs. Puerzer & Students!

It is such a pleasure to have you all watching Mom and Dad White Rock!!

The eggs were laid on March 13th and 16th which are the same dates the eggs were laid last year. It is usually 35 days to hatching which would mean we should see our first little eaglet (we call them bobbleheads because they bob up and down) should make h/h appearance on April 17th and the second on April 20th.

I don't know exactly how big the White Rock nest is but here is some general information about eagles' nests. The nest tree is about 135 feet in height.

Bald Eagles build their nests near water and primarily in very tall trees, usually 50150 feet (1545 metres) tall. If they live where there are no tall trees, such as Alaska or Florida, they may build the nest on a cliff or a shorter tree. Their nests are usually about 4 to 5 feet (1.5 metres) across but have been known to be 10 feet (3 metres) across. The nest can weigh up to 1000 pounds (450 kilograms) and is so strong that a human would be able to stand in it without breaking the nest.

I suspect our White Rock nest is in the 5 ft. range.

I know your students will have many questions throughout the season and you may find some of the answers at the following link.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT BALD EAGES

I hope this is helpful. If you have more questions, we are here to help!
We hope you will enjoy this season with our beautiful White Rock Eagles!

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: jacx (offline) on Tuesday, April 10 2012 @ 08:38 PM EDT  
jacx

Hello - the kids are quite concerned with the panting mom is doing and hoping she is ok. Can you let us know the reason she is doing this?

We are looking for specific facts about the White Rock nest. You may have told us already but they are writing a journal and there are several questions specific to the nest.

Thank you so much for your response.

Mrs. Puerzer

Will you be answering questions to the new camera being set up at the Hornby nest? I recently checked out the site and it won't be long. This is where I was originally.

We also were at one of the OWL cams on Thursday and we are assuming no eagle has taken this nest for home but there was a baby racoon inside the nest. The kids were quite interested.

Whatever news you have we appreciate it.

Thanks. Mrs. Puerzer's class

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:47 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate