Forum Index > Formerly Live Cams Now Offline > Delta O.W.L., BC Bald Eagle Nest
 Delta OWL Area Ground Observers
 |  Printable Version
By: stim (offline) on Thursday, March 08 2012 @ 01:49 PM EST  
stim

:hello: Great tour Judy! I hope that nest on the transmission tower has been abandoned!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, March 08 2012 @ 03:51 PM EST  
JudyB

Thanks so much, Judy - great to see a bit more of the area! And nice to see that their neighbors are doing well in the nest-building department. Smile

From what I've read/seen, it's not that uncommon for adults to take a year off after a nest failure, and this pair doesn't seem driven to nest every year - but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for at least another week. love

And those snowy owl pictures are great, Sandra Left thumb up - I missed them earlier.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: jewill (offline) on Friday, March 16 2012 @ 10:10 PM EDT  
jewill

While Ma and Pa Delta OWL are making themselves extremely scarce these days there are several juvies in the immediate area, 3 of which have been hanging around the OWL property on a regular basis. I spotted this one in a tree just inside the front gate. I'm guessing he's a 3rd or 4th year juvie (eta: on closer look and after discussing it with a friend who certainly knows her birds, based on beak and eye colour, I now think he's younger than that - in his 2nd year. Not that it matters but I like to get things right) and he was eating a duck that he had caught. I didn't witness him catching it but it is nice to know that he has already perfected his hunting skills. The pictures are a little graphic but I'm sure everyone understands that this is what these birds do in order to survive.

Click on image to download

He wouldn't turn around for me to get a good picture of him with his crop absolutely engorged - and he still had half of the duck left!

Judy W.
Surrey, BC, Canada
(Photo used with permission)

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, March 17 2012 @ 09:38 AM EDT  
jkr

Judy W, those are fabulous photos of the juvie and he definitely knows how to find himself a nutritious meal and a safe place to enjoy it.

Each time you post a photo of birds near OWL I find myself looking for leg bands. Green LOL

Forum

Cranbrook, B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Saturday, March 17 2012 @ 04:21 PM EDT  
stim

:hello: Wonderful shots Judy, especially that last one with wings spread showing so much of the feather underpinnings. Clapping Much appreciated.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Saturday, March 17 2012 @ 05:21 PM EDT  
sassyk

Great pics of the juvie Judy :thumrht: I love the ducks but I do know eagles grab them quite often for a meal. At least you know this young one has mastered his hunting/fishing skills Clapping

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: jewill (offline) on Monday, March 19 2012 @ 05:31 PM EDT  
jewill

I was in the Delta area again this morning so I decided to do a nest tour. Remember the nest that looked like it was under construction across the street from Bandit's old nest? Well, someone has definitely added to it and both of them were at home when I drove by! Sadly it still doesn't look like much but they were both in there and I sure hope she's not sitting on an egg. Unless they do some major work on it I don't see how it could support any chicks. I don't know if this is Bandit's parents or not but I wouldn't be surprised given the close proximity to the old (now abandoned) nest.

Here is a re-post of the nest as it appeared on March 7th.

And here it is today less than 2 weeks later.

I am definitely going to keep an eye on it. If anything happens I'll be sure to let you know.

Judy W.
Surrey, BC, Canada
(Photo used with permission)

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Monday, March 19 2012 @ 07:23 PM EDT  
jkr

Oh JudyW, that nest looks like a disaster waiting to happen.Wooh

Forum

Cranbrook, B.C.

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 05:26 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate