Forum Index > Relaxation and Chat Area > Garden Fence Chat
 Friends of Hornby
 |  Printable Version
By: nightowl (offline) on Sunday, October 16 2011 @ 08:16 AM EDT (Read 94393 times)  
nightowl

Welcome to Friends of Hornby!

This is YOUR thread to get to know one another, chat, post photos, or just stop in and say HI while there's not much going on at the nest. Conversations don't need to be eagle-related. You can discuss family, friends, children, pets (photos please!), nature...anything you like.

Please keep in mind this is a family friendly site, so no off-color or foul language, no discussion of politics, religion, sex, or anything that may cause conflict. We have children visiting this site, so don't post anything you wouldn't want your children or grandchildren to see or read.

Most of all, just relax and have fun!

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Sunday, October 16 2011 @ 08:40 AM EDT  
nightowl

To get everything started, I have a question for you...

How did you discover the Hornby cam?

For me, it was April, '06 and I'd just gotten my first computer in February, and had not a clue how to do anything on it. :dunno: I was just looking for something to do on it, and came across a link to an eagle cam on a local TV statiion web site. A Bald Eagle cam, I thought? Puzzled OK, I'll give it a look-see...and saw either Ma or Pa on the nest. (I don't remember which and couldn't have told the difference anyway. Green LOL ) Well, that's all it took! I was hooked!

I watched for a few days, then discovered there was a forum attached along with it. I lurked for a couple of weeks, then decided what the heck...I'll join! I had no idea what I was doing and finally made my first post. Whew! Phew That was easy! ...and I haven't shut up since!

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: Diana-gogee (offline) on Sunday, October 16 2011 @ 10:57 AM EDT  
Diana-gogee

wave Good Morning nightowl
Thank You for starting the threadLeft thumb up hope our Hornby friends will feel comfy to visit.
Here is my actual start point of the Hornby cam. I still keep the email from my cousin. Link doesn't work of coursegiggle

This is a cool website. It's a webcam set up in an Eagle's nest on Hornby Island off the coast of Vancouver Island. Check it out. They have been upgrading the system as there is an average of 5000 views with 2 million hits a day. They are setting on 2 eggs.

-Jerry

P.S. There is a short commercial to help pay the $50,000 cost to keep the site up.

http://www.infotecbusinesssystems.com/w ... efault.asp

Date was Sunday4/9/2006 12:40pm

And the rest is historyRolling on floor laughing

We shall overcome and I believe in miracles!

DIANA
Toronto, CANADA

Forum

Toronto

Profile Email   PM

By: garyandjudi (offline) on Sunday, October 16 2011 @ 11:39 AM EDT  
garyandjudi

Good morning Hornby....well my story is pretty much the same as most I was touring around with my new computer in 2006 and came across a wonderful eagles cam with a nest and two eagles. I started to watch because my love for all kinds of birds I've had since I was a child. .....and of course I got addicted....the rest is written in the sand here I am 5 years later and still can't take my eyes off of the Hornby nest and the Hornby's. I've look at all the other cams and I like all the other eagle couples....but I have to admit other than the Black Eagles of Africa, the LaFarg pair of eagles, whom I document also...... mom and dad Hornby are my favourite eagle couple. This season of 2012 I will be documenting mom and dad Hornby and the LaFarge ma and pa LaFarg. See you at the cam and thread nesties.
Click on image to download the Hornbys taken 2006

I love eagles Pa up and Lady Lafarge down on the AN

Judi

Forum

Vancouver B.C.
Canada

Profile     PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Sunday, October 16 2011 @ 11:44 AM EDT  
jwnix

I also read about it in a note 4/1/06 of a cam on a bald eagle nest in BC. It was posted on our Louisiana listserve , LA-bird. Annually I THANK the man that posted it......little did I know how invested I would become with this group.....and participate in things EAGLE in Louisiana as well.

jwnix
Black Bear Conservation Coalition www.bbcc.org

Forum

Profile     PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Sunday, October 16 2011 @ 12:14 PM EDT  
golden1

A little Hornby watchers history. I was watching the Sidney nest through CBC and others began to talk about the HOrnby eagles. This was in 2009. With Velma Flann's help I found my way to the forum and the Hornby nest. That is when I began to have two cams up....one on Sidney and one on Hornby. Which led to having many cams to watch and many friends to share the joy and tears connected with being an eagle lover. Love y'all.

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Sunday, October 16 2011 @ 01:03 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

My story is a huge ditto for Donna's. We were together at CBC watching the Sidney cam in 2009 and someone mentioned Hornby. We all went there and became addicted. Then some of us came to HWF at Velma Flann's invitation to form the Screech Hollow group. We still are there, have grown in our knowledge and activities on the Forum and happily watch the Hornby cam.

There is an ethereal sense that I love at that nest which is inexplicable. It is as if we are viewing time long gone and time into the future that previously was unknown to us. Plus, the huge bonus is all the friends we have made over these years and now it appears to be growing exponentially with many new faces and names for which I give a huge Hooray!
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: emlizard (offline) on Sunday, October 16 2011 @ 01:31 PM EDT  
emlizard

im a newbie i was watching the loons from minn. and someone gave the Hornby site a holler so off iwent and was immediately hooked.i never really was into chat mostly lirked and would chime in if moved. But always loved the welcoming and homey sound from the nest /I still find it very comforting. part of my everyday background ,even if no birds are in the whole area, kinda like white noise .. I love it!!! thanks Doug,Shelah, Richard, and all who work behind the scenes to provide this fantastic experience.(i tell everyone about Hornby...) LIZ

one day like this a year seems right
Forum

catonsville,
Maryland

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:09 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate