Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Other North American Eagle Cams
 Libby Dam, MT - 2012-2016 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, October 13 2011 @ 10:59 PM EDT (Read 11082 times)  
JudyB

Libby Dam, Montana - Bald Eagle Cam

US Army Corps of Engineers Libby Dam Eagle Cam site
Direct link to cam >> http://www.nws.usace.army.mil/publicmen ... fresh.html
There is also a website with hourly shots from the preceding 24 hours at http://www.libbymt.com/webcam/libbydameaglecam.htm
The camera has still shots updating every 10 seconds.

Libby Dam is located on the on the Kootenai River in northwestern Montana. The nest, also known as the Souse Gulch Eagle Nest, was established in 1996, with the first eggs in 1997. From 1997 through 2008, the pair fledged 21 eaglets, including two in 2008. They laid two eggs in 2009 and both hatched, but the younger chick died when it was almost 3 weeks old (not easy to guess why on a refresh cam); the older chick fledged successfully. They laid two eggs in 2010, but only one hatched; that chick fledged but did not return to the nest - but the weather was hot, so the fledgling may have followed the adults to somewhere more shaded; one adult came to the nest to eat three days later, and the fact that they were not seen doing work on the nest made me think/hope they were with the fledgling. They laid two eggs in 2012, one of which hatched and fledged successfully.

Based on past experience, look for eggs in mid to late March, chicks in late April, and fledging in mid July.

2011-2012 Season:

• cam back: February 17 (Note: the cam has had major issues and has often been offline or transmitting intermittently this year, so reports are sketchy at best)
  • eggs laid: at least one between March 9 and morning of March 13
  • hatched: seen April 24; seen April 27
  • sad news: there were two chicks as of May 13 when the cam went down and only one when it came back up on May 28; the other chick may have died shortly after the cam went down as a May 16 email from the folks on site mentioned that there was one chick
  • fledged:
  • cam off:

2011 s'caps by CAL04 and IrishEyes

(Information from US Army Corps of Engineers Libby Dam Eagle Cam site)

Link to last year's thread for the Libby Dam Bald Eagle Cam

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, October 13 2011 @ 11:07 PM EDT  
JudyB

2013 Nesting Season

Posts start here - forum/viewtopic.php?topic=543551#543551

There was no cam online in 2013 - the cam on the nest was working and could be viewed from the Visitor Center, but because of the remote location and cost considerations, they were unable to stream it to the web.

I do have an update from Susan J. James, the Park Ranger at the Libby Dam Visitor Center, which I'll post at the end of this thread - but don't see the logic of starting another thread as we are not likely to have more than 2-3 posts for 2013.

Summary

Two chicks hatched, by April 22
Both fledged, June 28-29

2014 Nesting Season

No cam in 2014 - they were hopeful, but money was tight. Posts for 2014 start here - forum/viewtopic.php?topic=571194#571194 - with a big thanks to the rangers who posted and answered my questions on their Facebook page!

Summary

Two eggs laid, March 17 and probably around March 20 (second confirmed on March 25)
Two chicks hatched, April 23 and 25
Rangers nicknamed the pair "Ella" and "Fitzgerald"
Both fledged, July 5 and 7, and were seen in the area for several weeks after that

2015 Nesting Season

No cam in 2015 - and the eagles did not nest, at least in the nest they'd used before.

2016 Nesting Season

Posts start here - forum/viewtopic.php?topic=822459#822459

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, February 17 2012 @ 09:20 AM EST  
JudyB

Friday, February 17, 2012

I've been checking the cam from time to time, and seeing the lovely picture from July, when it was turned off for the season - but today there was something different:

Click on image to download

Will check back later when it's daylight in Montana to see what I can see!

7:55 am mountain time

Grin Grin

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, February 25 2012 @ 06:03 PM EST  
JudyB

I'm a bit late posting this, but....

Friday, February 24, 2012

Nice visits to the nest - first one eagle, then both! Welcome back, Mom and Dad Libby! Grin

And a bit of snow later in the day.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, March 13 2012 @ 07:30 PM EDT  
JudyB

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

There's an egg! Grin

(or maybe two very embarrassed)

I have looked in occasionally, and got some nice pictures of an eagle visiting the nest March 7 (which I haven't posted - that lack of time thing) - and I've tried to look in a few other times, but have generally gotten a test pattern, and even though I have eventually seen something those days that I've had it up for several hours, I haven't waited that long.

I just looked now - and there's an eagle on the nest, looking to be incubating:

I checked the libbymt.com site, and all their pictures from today showed an eagle incubating. They also had pictures of them working on the nest on the 9th, so the first egg was laid sometime after those pictures and before about 7:33 am today, which is the earliest picture in which a white head is visible.

So - congratulations, Mom and Dad Libby Dam! I'll try to keep an eye on this nest, but the angle of the cam does make it hard to tell how many eggs they have - so we may need to wait until there are little heads peeking out to know what's happening for sure. love

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Tuesday, March 13 2012 @ 09:47 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Thank you JudyB.. I tried to get this cam several times... but no luck ! .. I am so happy about the egg/ eggs...

Congratulations Mom and Dad Libby Dam.

I will try to check in here also... i enjoyed this nest last season...

...Helpful Hints~~~~Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Wednesday, March 14 2012 @ 12:47 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Good MOrning Libby Dam... WED. March 14, 2012,

Good Morning Judy B..

I am unable to get this cam Sad

...Helpful Hints~~~~Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, March 14 2012 @ 12:53 PM EDT  
JudyB

Good morning, Bev! I've discovered that it seems to stream the test pattern at least half of the time. I'm hoping to send an email asking about that - but ran out of time last night. Maybe this evening. Smile If you can keep it up for an hour or two, it does eventually/occasionally give you a look at the nest - and I'd also recommend trying the link in the first post for the site that has hourly pics from the previous day. Good luck!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:48 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate