Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Jordan Lake, NC - 2012 - Bald Eagle Nest
 |  Printable Version
By: eaglet999 (offline) on Tuesday, September 27 2011 @ 08:08 PM EDT (Read 28164 times)  
eaglet999

Jordan Lake, North Carolina Bald Eagle Nest.

IMPORTANT: AS OF 1/4/2012, this is the cam link:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jordan-lake-eaglecam
It's a streaming cam this year!

http://www.basic.ncsu.edu/eaglecam/
This cam is available dawn to dusk Eastern Standard Time and it does require QuickTime to function properly. In prior years, the cam provided still pictures that refreshed automatically for you. This year it's a streaming cam!

Link to weather: http://www.wral.com/weather/

There's also an active Facebook page - Jordan Lake EagleCam - where you can get background information about what's happening at the nest - and share your s'caps with that community.

This nest is located in central North Carolina, near the urban areas of Raleigh-Durham and Chapel Hill. It's northeast of Charlotte, where the Carolina Raptor Center is located, and looks to be about half-way between Charlotte and Norfolk, Virginia. The Jordan Lake EagleCam is a collaboration between North Carolina State University and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Wilmington District. The goal of the project is to "stimulate interest in Bald Eagles by letting people in the triangle know that these magnificent birds are now nesting right in their backyards." The nest is situated in an area that provides many large trees suitable for nesting bald eagles with close proximity to lakes and rivers that provide a good food source!

This pair have successfully fledged young in the past four years.

2011-2012 Season:

• eggs laid: one seen December 5, so first between Dec 2 - 5, second between Dec 5 - 8
  • cam on: January 4
  • hatched: January 11, 2:44 pm; seen January 12, 8:36 am
  • first seen out of the nest bowl: January 24 early morning feeding
  • branching: observed around March 27
  • fledged: short flights observed April 3
  • last seen: still around as of April 21 per Denise Worden (cam down at end of March)

---------------------------------------------
    2010-2011 Season recap:

• eggs laid: early December
    • hatched: January 13, seen 9:42 am; January 15, empty shell seen 7:36 am
    • branching? March 28, 5:10 pm - one was out of cam sight for 45 minutes (74 and 72 days old)
    • fledged: It was hard to tell, but somewhere around April 2/3?

First peek at the new bobblehead aka lett screencap taken by Judyb
    Click on image to download

Last s'cap of the two together on the nest on Monday, April 18 2011 @ 07:21 AM EDT before the cam went down.

Link to 2010/2011 Season thread: forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=138510

Forum

Profile     PM

By: eaglet999 (offline) on Tuesday, September 27 2011 @ 08:09 PM EDT  
eaglet999

Reserved

Forum

Profile     PM

By: eaglet999 (offline) on Wednesday, November 30 2011 @ 09:42 AM EST  
eaglet999

Posted on the Jordan Lake facebook page this morning:

Update on the Jordan Lake EagleCam: we are working on getting the camera up and running again this year, unfortunately we have run into some unforseen budgetary issues and have had trouble purchasing some of the equipment. I am still optimisitc that we will get the camera up and running in the near future. Last year we first noticed eggs in the nest on Dec 12, which is pretty early compared to other years, also the warmer weather so far this winter may affect when they lay their eggs. I'll try to be better about logging onto Facebook and keeping everybody updated. -FEF

Forum

Profile     PM

By: eaglet999 (offline) on Thursday, December 01 2011 @ 09:41 AM EST  
eaglet999

Posted this morning on Facebook - FABULOUS NEWS!!!

Thank you so much for all the offers to donate to this project. Unfortunately we do not have a good mechanism for acccepting donations, the process has to go through our legal office and would actually end up being more expensive for us. I do have good news though, it looks like all the funding for the project was approved yesterday, so Ill be ordering the rest of the equipment today, and hopefully will make some significant progress by next week.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, December 03 2011 @ 09:31 AM EST  
JudyB

Wonderful news - thanks, eaglet! Grin

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: eaglet999 (offline) on Monday, December 05 2011 @ 03:25 PM EST  
eaglet999

More good news posted on FB today:

Great news, we have made a lot of progress, and have a video signal at the location where it will connect to the internet. Transmitting the video wirelessly over the lake and to a shed with an internet connection was the biggest technical hurdle. Still waiting for a video server to arrive that will convert the video from analog to digital, and then send it out over the internet.

In other great news, when I checked the video at the base of the tree today there was an adult eagle in incubation posture. There were definitely not any eggs in the nest when I check it Friday, so it looks like the mom had a productive weekend. The eggs will incubate for 35 days, so we should see some hatchlings b/w Jan 8-10.

One more thing, the web address will be changing this year, I am looking at using ustream to serve the video out to the public. I'll post the new url as soon as it gets set up.

Here is a picture I took w/ my phone off of the monitor I was using to check the video stream

Forum

Profile     PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Monday, December 05 2011 @ 03:37 PM EST  
golden1

That will be a great view of the nest. They sure are working hard to get things ready to go.

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Monday, December 05 2011 @ 05:39 PM EST  
MaryF

eaglet...I sure hope this all works well for them...I enjoyed looking in on this nest last year and would love to do so again! Amazing that Mom is incubating!! love

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 09:27 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate