Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Delta #2 Nest Camera Archives
 Delta 2 - 2012 Cam Discussions/Obs, Pics,Videos
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, September 20 2011 @ 11:27 AM EDT (Read 836983 times)  
jkr

Click on image to download

Delta 2 - 2012 Cam Discussions/Obs, Pics,Videos

This thread is for Discussion, Observations, Screenshots & Videos solely related to actions / events / occurrences at the Delta 2 nest camera

Screenshots and photos and/or links to videos are welcome in this thread as part of the discussion. We welcome all screenshots and videos of the Delta 2 nest captured via the webcams.

As a courtesy to viewers with slower internet connections, please limit the pictures in each post to no more than a total of 150,000 bytes (4 to 6 average screenshots), and please do not post animations (though it's fine to post a link to them).

Also, please review Richard Pitt's post Observations and Transgressions - thanks for your help and support!

History:

According to David Hancock the nest tree is a cottonwood; the tree height is about 90 feet with the nest being positioned about 75 feet up the tree.

Timeline 2011 -
Two eggs were laid. One chick fledged on her own and the second fledged with the help from OWL after he made an early mistaken fledge from the nest.

Timeline 2012-
Two eggs laid:
First egg Around March 3rd (camera was offline when egg was laid);
Second egg March 6, 5:17 pm

First hatch: April 11, seen 6:15 am (39 days)
Second hatch: April 11, at 11:29 a.m. (36 days)

Chicks are named Goldwing and Linux in honor of Richard Pitt - link

June1, 2012 Goldwing died on the nest from undetermined causes.

Branching: Linux branched June 29, 2012 at 7:00 a.m.

Fledging:

July 3, 2012 -- Flew out of the nest at 3:15 pm, age 11 weeks, 6 days; not clear if he intended to fledge or was trying to land on an upper branch and slipped. He became grounded and didn't fly when approached. He was then taken to OWL to be checked out. Additional information in the threads - Linux is at OWL and Delta 2 FAQ.
July 3rd -- When Mindy from OWL arrived to check on Linux, she noticed an older juvie or sub-adult sitting high in the nest tree; it wasn't be chased off by the adults, so perhaps was Jet or Oreo (link to post)
July 5th -- 4:33 am - adult on the nest, left at 4:58, back at 5:03 with fresh branches (marking the nest as "in use"?), and off at 5:07; looked like Mom.
July 5th -- 9:25 pm - both adults on the nest, doing a bit of digging around, and then settling in for the night; both appeared to be sleeping in the upper branches as it grew too dark to see; local resident Fisheye reported that a worker saw Linux leave the tree and said it looked like a fall, though the worker didn't realize it was an eagle he heard and saw (link to post)
July 6th -- 4:19 am - both adults still on the nest as it began to get light; they spent some time in the branches, and some poking around in the nest, and left around 4:45 am
July 6th -- 3:23 pm - OWL returned him to the tree approx 30 feet up onto a branch. 7:57 pm - Bev from OWL reported that Linux was still approximately where he had been placed upon release, Mom was closer to the three than she had been earlier and Dad was not too far away.
July 7th -- 3:38 pm - He made his way back to the nest on his own.
July 11th -- Fledged -- or re-fledged -- (4:46 pm) after spending a few days branching and disappearing for short periods of time. He may have been flying well before it was confirmed because he was out of view of the camera quite often. Adult on nest briefly at 5:12 pm but Linux didn't come in to see if there was food.

History continues in the next post.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (online) on Monday, October 03 2011 @ 04:09 PM EDT  
JudyB

continued from the previous post

Sightings after July 11:
July 13, 6:49 am - very brief visit to the nest, probably by Linux though he didn't stay long enough for any sort of positive ID
July 14 - Bev & Ralph from OWL reported there were at least 20 juvies in a nearby newly mowed field catching voles, and suspected Linux was one of them
July 14 - Karen Bills reported that she and David Hancock drove by the nest several times and saw both adults perched on poles a couple of blocks from the nest, but did not see Linux (posted on July 16)
July 15, 4:50 am - adult (probably Mom) visits nest - first time since shortly after Linux left on July 11; did not bring food.
July 16, 8:56 pm - eagle perched on on tree visible with cam; not sure if adult or juvie
July 17 - lovethebabies drove by the nest area, and saw what looked like a fledgling perched on an electrical tower; two adults were perched nearby, though not on the poles where Mom and Dad usually perch
July 18, 4:46 am - visit by an adult, probably Mom
July 19, 9:14 am - seg24 and sydie saw a juvie land on a branch next to the nest; he was only there 20-30 seconds, and left before anyone could get a s'cap
July 20, 5:13 am - adult on the nest for a few minutes, doing a bit of digging around
July 21, 8:59 9m - brief visit by Mom
July 22, 5:02 am - Mom on the nest for brief visit
July 24, 5:12 am - another brief visit by Mom; back a little later and spent time up in the branches; a third visit to the nest was observed at 8:45 pm, after which she went up and perched in the branches
July 25, 4:35 am - Mom still perched in same place, suggesting she spent the night; 4:48 am - it looked as if there might be a juvie perched in the tree as well. We all assumed it was Linux, but as it got lighter, it looked as if the juvie had too much white for a fledgling, and David Hancock later confirmed that it was almost certainly an older juvie (David's post), though the lighting wasn't ideal. There was some thought that it might have been Jet or Oreo, as it seemed unlikely that the adult would let a "stranger" that close to the nest, even if Linux wasn't there at the time. The juvie stayed in the upper branches for about a half hour. After he or she left, Mom flew down to the nest and was joined there by Dad, at about 5:25 am - the first time both had been observed in the nest since Linux left on July 11. Dad left at 5:27 am, and Mom went back up into the branches, and left from there at 5:36 am. (30 minute video by liberty1998 of the morning's events)
July 26, 4:55 am - Mom arrives at the nest, spends some time there, then up in the branches, then back to nest and away at 5:05 am.
July 27 - no visits recorded
July 28, 5:34 am - Mom arrives at the nest for a brief visit, leaves from the branches around 5:42 am.
July 29, 5:14 am - visit by adult, away at 5:19 am, Mom arrives at 5:26 am, away a minute or so later; not sure which adult made the earlier visit.

Read JudyB's wonderful account of Linux's Great Adventure article.php/LinuxsGreatAdventure

ODE TO SIR LINUX
by NewbiE

I am sir linux luxalot Egg hatch:
the prince of delta 2
my parents love me bunches Wub
and my auntie's love me too hug

i love to hop around my nest Hummingbird
and spread my wings out wide
i learned to go from branch to branch
and use the leaves to hide Cool

i had an oops! and tumbled down
and landed on the ground
a GIANT bird chased after me
and made me run around Don't Panic

they put me in a scary place
and poked me here and thereFaint
they put me in a giant box
'i must get out of here!' Help emo

i suffered such indignities Oh the shame
i screamed for mom and dad
but when they brought a friend to me wave
it wasn't quite as bad

then suddenly, those GIANT BIRDS
they took me for a ride
and i could see that i was near Wooh
my castle in the sky!

they carried me and handled me
in spite of my protests...Rant:
but then they placed me on a branch
and i could see my nest!

i flapped and flapped to climb my tree
i saw my home up high Roll eyes
i wasn't sure i'd make it
but i sure was going to TRY. Phew

cuz i'm sir linux luxalotEgg hatch:
the prince of delta 2
some day i'll find my princess:-*
and we'll have our babies too.

so now i'm back and happier
than you could ever know Cloud 9
my parents feed and visit me
until my bloomers grow:oops:

i lost my sister goldwing
i still miss her everyday Cry Hanky
such happy times together
when we'd eat and fight and playhug

but mommy says i'll meet my siblings
oreo and jetEgg hatch:Egg hatch:
it makes me SO excited
i am SUCH a lucky 'let'!!! hip hip Very Happy

my daddy says we need to go
where salmon have their run :koi::koi::koi:
my mommy reassures me
and I know the time has come:cry1:

I know that I'm an eaglet
still, i'm sad i have to leave...Sad
but I'll always remember
delta 2 and my auntie'shug

i am sir linux luxalotEgg hatch:
an eagle i will be
and thanks to those who loved me,Red HeartRed HeartRed HeartRed HeartRed Heart
i'll be BRAVE and TRUE and FREESitting eagle

(image from jkr and O.W.L)

"i say...THIS is UNACCEPTABLE!!! i PROTEST! you must RELEASE me at once! i am SIR LINUX of the LOT"

what Whistling.W.L staff heard: SCREEP! SCREEP! SCREEP! SCREEP! SCREEEEP!!!!

Egg hatch:inner baby linux: "oh my. i'm done for...such a pity...."

acknowledgements:

edit: thanks so much to jkr, patb, mindy, bev, O.W.L, for the rapid fire response and rescue of our baby.
thanks to fisheye, for her ground report (and the gardener who heard linux screeching on his way down)

although i don't remember who to credit for what....thanks to auntie ?Help emo for the clever use of
hip hipVery Happy

and most especially, thanks to auntie ?Help emo who gave sir linux the PROPER title
when she coined sir linux luxalot!!!! It Wasn't Me

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (online) on Monday, October 03 2011 @ 04:22 PM EDT  
JudyB

October 3, 2011

1:08 pm

I'm not positive it's one of ours - but it's definitely an eagle in the nest! Grin

He or she is looking around - I think there may be other eagles in the area.

1:21 pm

A few more pictures.

The eagle flew up towards the cam at 1:26 pm.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Monday, October 03 2011 @ 04:39 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Hi JudyB.. Nice caps .. here are the ones i posted on the other thread.

1:21pm
Look who's home
1:23pm
Poop shot

1:24pm- 1:25pm
Adult looked around, called and then left..Click for bigger...

...Helpful Hints~~~~Bev.

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (online) on Monday, October 03 2011 @ 05:05 PM EDT  
JudyB

Great pictures - I missed the poop shot! Thanks, Bev!

Added -
And thanks for moving your pictures over from the 2011 thread - I'm guessing you were posting there as i was locking it so we could move to this one. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Monday, October 03 2011 @ 05:37 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

2:35pm no one at home at the moment. I'd forgotten what it's like to have sound on a cam! Lots of tweety bird sounds.

3:25pm no eagles in the last hour.

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Monday, October 03 2011 @ 07:23 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

4:17pm I know this makes NO Sense, but 2x now in the past 5-10 minutes my attention was drawn to the cam by what sounded lile a young juvenile eagle...

I know that there are some pretty clever vocal imitators out there... is there one around here that might explain what I heard?

I will be signing out at around 4:30pm today to catch up on some of my recorded TV shows... For the first time in a long wihle there are LOTS of shows that Alan and I both like!

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Monday, October 03 2011 @ 07:45 PM EDT  
yalitldevl

Terry the resident Starling in the basement of Ma and Pa Sidneys nest can do a full-on adult call pretty well so that would be my guess here too. Starlings do a great red-tailed hawk too among many others. Enjoy your shows with Alan. My shot of the eagle earlier is the same as the ones already posted so I didn't bother

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:04 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate