Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Maine Coast - 2012 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, September 13 2011 @ 09:50 PM EDT (Read 37125 times)  
JudyB

Maine Coast - Bald Eagle Cam

http://www.briloon.org/watching-wildlife/eagle-cam.php
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/brieaglcam (starts with ad which can be noisy)

Link to new Maine Bald Eagle Cam forum: http://www.window-on-wildlife.com
Link to Maine Eagle Cam Forum Archives: http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/index.php?mforum=tdbc

This is a streaming cam with sound and the potential for night vision, although that won't be turned on until the eagles are spending nights in the nest.

The cam is located in coastal Hancock County, and the eagles have nested at this site since 1995 and raised 20 offspring, making them one of the most successful pairs in Maine when the cam first came online. This is a beautiful nest on the coast of Maine.

They fledged two eaglets on cam in 2006 (a third chick was lost, likely due to sibling rivalry), but had tragedy in 2007 - the weather was brutal right after the chicks hatched and they lost them; they did not lay eggs in 2008 or 2009 (taking a year or two off after a nest failure is apparently fairly common). Eagles were seen at the nest regularly in 2010, though it's not certain if this is the pair from earlier years or if a change occurred at some point since the loss of the chicks in 2007; they did not lay eggs. The current pair actually laid two eggs in 2011, and we all had our hopes up for a successful season - but it was not to be; it's not clear quite what happened, but there was a bad storm shortly after the eggs were laid and the female (who might be relatively young) was gone for several days; when she returned she didn't resume incubating, and the male was unable to do it all, so the nest was eventually left untended and subsequently failed; there may also have been one or more other eagles in the area, adding to the stress. We are hoping - really hard - that they will finally be successful in 2012.

Based on past experience, look for eggs in the first half of March, chicks in mid-April, and fledging in early July.

2011-2012 Season:

• eggs laid: March 26, 5:29 pm (cam angle makes it impossible to see into the nest bowl, but it occasionally looked as if more than one egg was being turned)
  • hatched: seen May 3rd, 5:49 am (38 days); seen May 4th, 10:45 am (36 days)
  • sad news: the younger chick died from a fall on June 8 at 5 weeks old; a lack of food and intense sibling rivalry in the aftermath of several days of torrential rain may have been mitigating factors
  • fledged: July 17, 3:52 pm (75 days) - (maybe just flight to another branch, but flew; definitely fledged by July 20)
  • last seen: September 26, 12:21 pm (146 days, or almost 21 weeks); until then she was hanging out in the area around the nest, and still being fed by her parents from time to time, and several observers are certain that they've heard her call in the distance occasionally through October.

(Information from BioDiversity Research Institute)

March 6 2011 screen cap posted by JudyB

March 28 2011 screen cap posted by Debs

Link to last year's thread for the Maine bald eagle cam

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, September 13 2011 @ 09:50 PM EDT  
JudyB

reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Debs (offline) on Wednesday, September 14 2011 @ 01:28 PM EDT  
Debs

Afternoon Maine :hello:

Judyb :hello: Thanks for setting up this thread for us Clapping Mom and Dad Maine Wub are one of my favorite families Wub and having followed this nest since 2006 I think we are long over due for success here Nodding yes so we will all be storming heaven along side of you praying this beautiful pair Red Heart has a successul season in 2012!

The nest.
Click on image to download

May you embrace all the "blessings and gifts" that surround you in your life ... let your spirit soar :-)

Forum

North Pole

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, September 16 2011 @ 05:07 PM EDT  
JudyB

September 16, 2011

5 pm
Both eagles are visiting the nest and doing some nestorations! Grin

The cam is often quite dark - I'm guessing there's something that needs adjusting, but it may not be a priority until nearer the nesting season. Both of them are in all three pictures, though it's hard to see them when they're in the nestbowl area.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Darlene (offline) on Friday, September 16 2011 @ 09:18 PM EDT  
Darlene

Cheers Great scaps JudyB. It is very exciting to see 2 adults on the nest. I sure am hoping for a success for this beautiful nest this coming seasonfingers crossed

Darlene, Langley, BC
aka Eaglelover1923
aka lovethebabies

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, September 16 2011 @ 11:47 PM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks, Darlene. Grin You and me both. love

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, September 20 2011 @ 05:49 AM EDT  
JudyB

September 20, 2011

I was getting the s'cap of sunrise at the nest - and just missed getting an eagle arriving.

He or she left a moment later.

Update - someone on the Maine forum who is more awake than me at this hour pointed out that I do have a picture of the eagle - it's perched on the Y branch at the back of the nest. The movement that caught my eye was when it flew from there down into the nest. very embarrassed

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Darlene (offline) on Tuesday, September 20 2011 @ 09:37 AM EDT  
Darlene

What a pretty scap JudyB. I am thrilled to see eagles on this nest. Have been watching the last few days and keep hearing them but haven't seen them until this morning. Someone, female I think, arrived with a large stick and stayed for a few minutes!love

eagle on the nest at 9:30 am nest time

Darlene, Langley, BC
aka Eaglelover1923
aka lovethebabies

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:41 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate