Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Turtle Bay, CA - 2012 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, September 13 2011 @ 09:05 PM EDT (Read 45139 times)  
JudyB

Turtle Bay, CA - Bald Eagle Cam (formerly known as CalTrans)

http://www.turtlebay.org/eaglecam

This nest has streaming video, and I believe has two cameras (one with a closer view, the other showing more of the tree), though they can only stream one at a time. I don't think there's sound - it's near a busy highway, which might make it hard to hear the eagles over the background noise. The cam uses QuickTime, which works on most computers but not all.

The camera was initially installed by CalTrans (the California Department of Transportation) to make sure that nearby highway construction didn't have a negative impact on the eagle nest. Back in the fall of 2007, Caltrans had tried to discourage the eagles from nesting so near the planned highway project by placing a large cone in their nest, but the eagles were not easily discouraged (read the story here)) - and public sentiment favored the eagles - so CalTrans decided to work with the eagles and the public, installing a camera to make sure they weren't disrupting the nesting behavior - and making it available to the public. The construction project is now completed, and and the Turtle Bay Exploration Park has taken over the cam - thank you!

The pair, named Liberty (F) and Patriot (M), successfully raised two eaglets in 2008, and three eaglets in 2009 and 2010. They laid two eggs in 2011, both of which hatched, and the eaglets fledged successfully.

2011-2012 Season:

• adults return:
  • cam on line:
  • eggs laid: maybe by Feb 3, definitely by Feb 5 (without a cam, we won't know for sure how many eggs until we see chicks)
  • hatched: feeding observed March 15, 5:25 pm; second head observed March 30
  • fledged: #1/Shasta - on or before June 12 (~89 days); #2/Lassen - June 8, 8:40 am (~82 days)

2010 s'caps by eagleboy and eaglewoman

Link to last year's thread for this nest

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, September 13 2011 @ 09:09 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Wednesday, September 14 2011 @ 09:57 AM EDT  
eaglewoman

waveHey JudyB!Thanks so much for setting us up for the new nesting season!

One minor correction-P & L only laid 2 eggs last year, and both hatched and fledged!

Here's to another great year at Hancock!Sitting eagleSitting eagle

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, September 14 2011 @ 10:12 AM EDT  
JudyB

Oops - I knew that. very embarrassed My master list sorts the nests by state/province, and I think I copied the info from the Fort St Vrain nest in Colorado by mistake. Thanks for catching that!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Friday, September 16 2011 @ 02:29 AM EDT  
eaglewoman

No worries JudyB! I don't know how you keep all of the nests straight in the first place!!! But you do a fantastic job!!!Clapping

We are anxiously awaiting the return of Patriot and Liberty in October. Patriot usually arrives first, and the last two years he has showed up with a mysterious visitor??? But good ole Liberty ends up showing up a few weeks later and they resume their pair bonding.
Only time will tell what happens this year!

I'll be ready with my camera to catch all of the action! Video CameraLeft thumb up

I just checked last year's forum in the archive and I reported seeing Patriot by the nest on October 9th last year!!! That isn't too far from now gang!
Now, TB had sent up a tree climber around that time to check on cams and wires, so that may have been the reason for Patriot's presence?

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: itsgrama (offline) on Tuesday, October 04 2011 @ 06:44 PM EDT  
itsgrama

Thank you for the new site for our new season here in Northern California. Yes, Eaglewoman, I am counting the days........today is Oct 4th......5 more days til you had your first sighting of Patriot last year. Also, was the same day I saw my first snowbird of the year last year. I am so glad that the warm days of summer are over and I'm getting excited for the new nesting season. :cheerguy: However, I do have a heavy heart because of the loss of Hope, Lily the black bears' first born cub.:cry1::cry1: I watched her being born and have followed them ever since. I will be watching Lily and her lone surviving cub, Faith. Hopefully the same fate doesn't await her next hunting season.:Cry Hanky. On the bright side, I do have our wonderful eagle family to enjoy as long as they choose to nest in their Turtle Bay territory. Keep us posted on what you see, Eaglewoman. Looking forward to it.wave

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Friday, October 07 2011 @ 08:19 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

wave Hey Gang!
THE EAGLES HAVE LANDED!!!!Sitting eagleSitting eagle

Just wanted to report that my hubby and I saw an eagle on a gravel bar in the middle of the river yesterday near Bluff Branch!!! It looked like Liberty to me, but I never got a good look at the front of her.
Today, I took a few shots of an eagle on Bluff Branch, which I will post soon! And, I drove by the area several times and saw an eagle on that branch each time!
We are going down near that area again tonite, so we'll check it out again & let you know!

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Friday, October 07 2011 @ 08:31 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

Here's a few shots I took from the trail of an eagle on Bluff Branch...
Click on image to download
Click on image to download

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 04:38 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate