Forum Index > H.W.F. Community Information > Festivals of Eagles, Birds and Nature
 Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival 2011
 |  Printable Version
By: SoCal EagleFan (offline) on Monday, November 21 2011 @ 11:20 AM EST  
SoCal EagleFan

Great pictures Christian. Look at all those Eagles in one place, what an amazing sight that must of been.
Thank you for sharing your photos with us.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Gillian (offline) on Monday, November 21 2011 @ 03:06 PM EST  
Gillian

Thanks to Christian for all the great pictures. The event was outstanding, and you have done a wonderful job of capturing the eagles. Thanks!!!

Gillian

Forum

Toronto

Profile Email   PM

By: Christian (offline) on Monday, November 21 2011 @ 03:28 PM EST  
Christian

Thank you all my wonderful eagle friends! Yes - we were so lucky with the weather and the volunteers did such a great job - they make it possible for us to be in such privileged area. I grew up all over the world, but nothing compares to this, I mean it Wooh

The best images were taken in quiet and peaceful locations - actually away from all the crowds. Sometimes along the roadside where I went down the steep bank with 12lb camera gear, worried about sliding, then partially wet feet from the cold river, holding the camera in just one hand for longer periods and frozen fingers so that I could hardly feel the shutter release. Then one waits and waits and just when one is about to give up an eagle appears out of nowhere and one takes100 images in quick succession and then just one single image is right in focus and light - this intense experience is fantastic, and being out there with these wonderful Sitting eagle

Christian
In my dreams I am an Eagle
Please note that my images may be used for promotion of eagle preservation and non-profit purposes only - feel free to use the high resolution images and kindly acknowledge me. Thank you.

Forum

White Rock, Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: elle (offline) on Monday, November 21 2011 @ 03:51 PM EST  
elle

Christian. Your pictures are lovely. We were certainly blessed with the weather and thousands of eagles of every age and a record number of spawning sockeye salmon, too. I will write more later and possibly post some pix and videos of the river safari.
Here are a couple of Mt Cheam at sunset Saturday night. Taken from the Sandpiper Golf Course. I love the pink trees. They reminded me of those fake designer Christmas trees we see at this time of the year only they were real! We were in a beautiful valley surrounded by mountains and rivers . And I had forgotten how green the Fraser River is, too. Just so pretty.
Click on image to download

Edited to add: Apparently not Mt Cheam. Sorry.

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Monday, November 21 2011 @ 04:28 PM EST  
IrishEyes

Christian.. Thank you .. your pictures are incredible..!!! what a thrill to see all those eagles in one place..

Beautiful pictures David H.... love seeing the eagle release...

Elle.. Nice captures of the sunset ... truly beautiful..

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: davidh (offline) on Monday, November 21 2011 @ 09:10 PM EST  
davidh

Fraser River Flooded with Bald Eagles!

The Harrison -- Chehalis River complex has done it again. The Fraser River Bald Eagle Festival on the weekend revealed another record year for Bald Eagles. 2630 eagles were counted along 3 kilometers of the Harrison River on Sunday -- a new record for this early in the season.

What is even better is that the Fisheries Department reports record numbers of spawning sockeye salmon. Over 600,000 fish are presently spawning in this section of the Harrison River and their carcasses will be available for the wintering eagles. Last year, when the entire coasts of Alaska and British Columbia suffered a catastrophic loss of spawning chum salmon, a record 7362 eagles appeared in late November and early December on the Harrison River to feast on a small run of coho and chums. The feasting lasted less than a month -- because the carcasses ran out. This year the Harrison has set the table with a record number of salmon and again most of the upper coast rivers have small salmon runs.

For the rest of November and December we should be having record numbers of both salmon and feasting eagles. Wildlife eagle biologist David Hancock, of the Hancock Wildlife Foundation, who monitors these eagles has stated that this congregation of raptors is the largest such gathering of any bird of prey anywhere in the world.

Those persons gathering at the weekend Fraser River Bald Eagle Festival witnessed this incredible feasting. Hopefully for the next 4 to 8 weeks the bountiful table will be set for more people to see these incredible eagles. Viewing is best from along Harrison Bay from Highway 7 or from the Eagle Point Observatory at the Eagle Point Community Park two miles up the Morris Valley Road. (Turn north off Hwy # 7 at the Sasquatch Inn. It is the next right turn past the Sandpiper Golf Course).

Even better viewing is from the Harrison River but only periodic boat tours are available from Fraser River Safari tours http://www.fraserriversafari.com/. David Hancock will be on the river for at least one day of each upcoming weekend. This season Hancock says it is likely we will break the 2010 mid-December peak count of 7365 eagles in this 3 kilometer spectacle. Hancock believes about 200 to 300 additional northern eagles are arriving each day. "Most winters we get about 2000 eagles wintering here but with the decimation of northern salmon runs we might exceed over 10,000 eagles this winter in this small area -- a biological wonder." This is a marvelous sight to behold but the disappearance of many northern runs of salmon bode long-term disaster for both groups -- salmon and eagles -- and many a bear will be going into hibernation hungry and thin. A bonus for bird watchers are the thousands of waterfowl, including about 300 huge trumpeter swans, that feed in the same waters.

Fraser River Bald Eagle Festival update:
Nov. 21, 2011

Note: for further biological comments contact: David Hancock 604 761-1025 or Fraser River Safari at: 1-866-348-6877

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile   Website PM

By: elle (offline) on Monday, November 21 2011 @ 09:36 PM EST  
elle

A few more pictures I took during the river safari. Again, taken through a closed window, albeit as spotlessly clean as could possibly be, and again also while motoring.Sadly, I don't have a camera with a monster lens. Just a Canon SX30 with 35x zoom. But if you click the pic 2 times you will get a better image.

One more of an intriguing snow-capped mountain. Anyone know what mountain this is?

Bald Eagle feeding on a huge salmon carcass

I like this one. Too bad the white dots in the trees are snow and not bald eagle heads.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Monday, November 21 2011 @ 09:48 PM EST  
elle

I also like the mist in this capture. As well as the puffed up eagle ; stuffed with fish and braced against the cold.

And a couple of videos I hope will give you a sense of the safari experience.
Video Camera
Part 1
Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival River Safari Part 1
Video Camera
Part 2
Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival River Safari Part 2

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 11:38 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate