Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Jericho Park Eagles
 |  Printable Version
By: Keta (offline) on Monday, March 08 2010 @ 06:30 PM EST (Read 15011 times)  
Keta

Hey Folks, getting settled into this new forum. Mug of coffee Hope I'm doing this right!! :blink:

Judy B asked me if I was going to be following the bald eagles at the Jericho Park site again this year, and indeed I am! There has been some drama surrounding these eagle mates, there was no sign of nest building even into the end of February. The community around here was getting rather tense . .. . if there are no eaglets, what will we do all summer!?!? haha.

Last week I saw the beginnings of a nest being built, unfortunately it is once again in the Cottonwood trees (across the soccer pitch from the Fir trees). Veteran members will recall a few years ago with the older, female juvenile fell to the ground after the branch she was on broke. She had to be rescued, rehabilitated (broken wing), and was eventually released good-as-new to the same location.

I guess only this season will tell! I have a screen capture, and video, of the eagles from yesterday.

more later, as it happens.

-Keta

www.wildbaldeagles.ca Click on image to download

BLOG -- >Storybook

Forum

Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Monday, March 08 2010 @ 07:58 PM EST  
sassyk

wave Hi Keta: Welcome back for the new seasonWelcome I'll be checking this thread periodically for your new videos; you do a wonderful job of following the eagles while they are flying aboutLeft thumb up

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Jenobi () on Tuesday, March 09 2010 @ 02:19 PM EST  
Anonymous: Jenobi

Hi Keta wave,
My b/f and I go down to this nest as much as possible to see the activity. Nice to see some video of nestorations. Grin Last time I was there about a month ago at dusk there was lots of activity at Jericho and Spanish Banks. I must get down there when the tide is low and the sun is warm Grin. Everytime I go it's cold, windy and the tide is in as far as it can go. Bad luck I guess.

By: Keta (offline) on Tuesday, March 09 2010 @ 08:40 PM EST  
Keta

Thanks for the greetings folks, right on. Cool

I was just down at the beach (Tues afternoon), there were eagles EVERYWHERE. All over the place; adults, juveniles, swooping, dipping, hovering and fishing. The mates at Jericho came in just as I was leaving, first one with a big fish then the other following lazily behind (flying almost like a crow, so looooow over the sand!). Then they set down where the nest has been for the past 2-3 years, in the fir trees (now a feeding platform) and kicked up quite a fuss eating. The nest looked bigger, in the Cottonwoods, but that's just from a cursory observation.

Did not have camera. Light was not good. Favourite time for eagles to go crazy, when the wind is up and the light is flat! Roll eyes

-Keta
www.wildbaldeagles.ca

BLOG -- >Storybook

Forum

Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: iansmith () on Saturday, March 13 2010 @ 05:00 PM EST  
Anonymous: iansmith

Thanks to Keta's video, I found the nest even before I was out of the car. When I arrived, there was one eagle on the nest. By the time the camera was out and on the tripod, it had flown over my head and off towards 4th avenue. But there was one back in a couple of minutes carrying a large stick. I guess they are still building the nest. A few minutes later they were both there, and stayed for the 15 minutes I hung around. (Very cold out just standing in the parking lot.). Next stop UBC Botanical gardens.

Click on image to download

By: Anonymous: iansmith () on Saturday, March 13 2010 @ 11:55 PM EST  

OK, I was wrong when I said that one of the Vanier eagles had been banded. But one of my friends pointed it out on the photo I posted today with the eagle jumping up and it's wings spread. There is definitely a band on that right leg.

By: sassyk (offline) on Tuesday, March 16 2010 @ 01:46 AM EDT  
sassyk

waveIan: Fantastic photosLeft thumb up I noticed the band right away.

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: iansmith () on Sunday, March 21 2010 @ 11:14 PM EDT  

Did a driveby on my way from UBC to Vanier around 11am. The eagle was on the nest.

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:30 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate