Forum Index > Welcome to the Forum! > Practice Area
 Practice Thread 2
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, December 29 2009 @ 09:19 PM EST (Read 59164 times)  
JudyB

This thread is also available for practice with pics, quotes, links - or anything else (within reason and the basic guidelines) Smile

NOTE - Please do not delete this post. If you delete the first post in a thread, the whole thread disappears. Faint

When I set up this area, I forgot that the software pops up a scary warning when you try to delete a post - see here for details. Unless you're in the first post of a thread, you can ignore the warning.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Wednesday, December 30 2009 @ 04:18 AM EST  
nightowl

I'm going to try to post a s'cap without reading Pat's tutorial, to see if I can figure it out.

Well, that didn't work. Off to read Pat's tutorial. (certainly isn't as simple as the old forum.)

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Wednesday, December 30 2009 @ 04:32 AM EST  
nightowl

Second try after reading the tutorial. (step #3 seems like an unnecessary, but needed step with this software)

Click on image to download

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, December 30 2009 @ 11:56 AM EST  
JudyB

Richard has now fixed the problem I created with links to the current forum, so I'm now going to post a couple of links from HikerBikerGram's Bird Talk thread

First, unedited:

American Bittern

American Coot

And then with the size changed from 150 to 18.
American Bittern

American Coot

They do seem to work, so I think we should be able to bring the index over here (with a bit of editing), while leaving her reference material in the current forum.

I also think/hope that should work for some other threads with a lot of information and some sort of index.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Wednesday, December 30 2009 @ 08:08 PM EST  
terrytvgal

TEST: Link to post on the other forum

http://discuss.hancockwildlifechannel.o ... 11#p680411

I don't think this is what JudyB was working on doing in the posts above.

Playing to see if I can figure out what JB was doing... just bringing some large font text (NOT a Link) from there to here

"Bird Talk 101 Index

To locate birds listed in the index, just click on name. Birds are listed alphabetically."

Obviously she didn't just do a cut and past of the post.... she must have gone in and grabbed the 'raw' code.

like this:

Bird Talk

That stuff up there is going to be a mess :razz: EDIT: Well it WAS a ginormous huge mess!! way to big to leave here even in a practise area, so I deleted all but 2 words and left the size value at 150

But if I swap out the '150' for say '18' like judy did or 16 to see the difference what do I get?

1) replace 150 with 18

Bird Talk 101 Index

To locate birds listed in the index, just click on name. Birds are listed alphabetically.

2) replace 150 with 16

Bird Talk 101 Index

To locate birds listed in the index, just click on name. Birds are listed alphabetically.

OK let's see what happens... Whistling

OK I know what's what now. Interesting JudyB, Thanks. Now I need to think a bit about WHY being able to do this is significant....

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, December 30 2009 @ 09:27 PM EST  
JudyB

Well, HikerBikerGram has put a lot of time into developing her Bird Talk 101 thread - and it's a useful resource for people who are learning more about various birds.

We can't bring the entire thread over here - as I understand it, importing threads is all or nothing - and we tried all and it was a mess of epic proportions.

But I was hoping we could (without too much work) bring the index over here - and as HikerBikerGram continues to add new birds here, some of her links will go to the original thread and some to her new thread - and nothing is lost.

There are a few other threads that have reference material that's useful on a daily basis (rather than just for those occasions when we're researching something about the Sidney eaglets), and some of them have indexes. So this was a sample as the index was there and easy to copy.

I did a quote of her opening post, copied a couple of entries, backed out of my quote, and pasted the entries here.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, December 31 2009 @ 11:40 PM EST  
JudyB

Quote by: gemini

What is interesting though, is when I submitted my reply to your PM, I got the login page. Puzzled I used the back arrow, and fortunately was sent back to my response which I promptly copied into word for safe keeping :whew: while I tried to figure out what happened! I tried submitting again but same thing. Mad So I re logged in and started over. Glad I managed to save my response in Word and could just paste it in. LOL

Is there some kind of time limit that one must adhere to when composing PM's and posts??! I seem to run into this problem a lot. :dunno:

That is interesting, gemini. I've had it happen as well, but figured it was either a quirk of my computer or else I was logged into too many forums at the same time. I'm not aware of there being a time limit, but don't actually know - will try to look tomorrow.

I should check and see if we have the back arrow trick listed in Helpful Hints - I've also occasionally clicked out of half-written posts, and sometimes have been able to get back that way. I suspect I'm not very good at multi-tasking.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, January 02 2010 @ 10:41 AM EST  
jkr

Posting to see if there's a difference between trying to copy/paste a post from the original forum which has a regular attachment added vs. one with an attachment added as in-line.

Not an in-line attachment.

Here are a few more pix of Ma in the south Pat Bay beach tree yesterday. Click twice for bigger pix.

[attachment=1]Ma Sidney in south Pat Bay beach tree(9) 4 Dec. 09.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Ma Sidney in south Pat Bay beach tree(11) 4 Dec. 09.JPG[/attachment]

In-line attachment

8:00 am
Mom calls/trills as if she's warning something off camera.
Dad stands very still watching and doesn't make a sound.
Mom moves to stand on the 4:00 rim.
[attachment=1]ZZ6D2BA5BB.jpg[/attachment]

8:05 am
Mom flies off.
Lots of trilling and calls coming from Mom
Dad now trills in unison with Mom.
Dad stands alone on the nest.

Nope --- both came up with the same result.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 08:56 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate