Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - DeltaOWL Camera Archives
 Delta OWL Significant Events 2011
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, May 07 2011 @ 01:17 PM EDT (Read 1257 times)  
JudyB

This is a bit of an experiment. It's not intended to be as thorough as what I'm trying to do for Sidney and White Rock, but with luck will include the highlights (and the sad moments) from the 2011 nesting season, with links to the the relevant place in the Discussion/Observation thread for those who want more details and pictures.

If you see something interesting or strange or just wonderfully typical of behavior on the nest - please PM me with a link to the discussion about it! I will be adding those events I notice - but am sure I'll miss a lot.

Note: No promises about keeping this up to date! I'll add to it when I can, but do have a husband, a job, two cats, and a number of other responsibilities - and for better or worse, I'm likely to be spending more time on the nests that have eaglets.

I am looking for helpers - if you're interested, please let me know.

And happy eagle watching!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, May 07 2011 @ 01:19 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, May 07 2011 @ 01:19 PM EDT  
JudyB

February 10 - May 5, 2011

February 10 - First observed visit by one of the eagles to the new nest installed to replace the one that fell down last year - link

February 16 - Eagles begin preparing nest - link

March 10, 5:14 pm - first egg laid - link

March 14, 12:20 pm - second egg laid - forum/viewtopic.php?topic=163565#163565

April 26 - noted that the eagles seem to be spending more time away from the nest - link

April 27, 6:16 am - only one egg visible when the female stood up and left the nest (day 48 for first egg, day 44 for second egg) - link
- a review of the archives showed that both eggs were visible at 11:45 pm on the 26th, though one might have had a hole in it (or a piece of grass in front of it) - link
- at 1:30 am there was one egg intact with bits of white in the nest bowl, which the female appeared to eat or bury - link
- by 2:32 am on the 27th, there was only one egg (and that is a blade of grass) - link
[editorial note - the archives aren't working now, but when they come back up we may add videos from 11:45 pm and 1:30 am]

April 28 - reported that Ralph from O.W.L. had observed the male calling to the female, possibly encouraging her to leave the nest - link

April 29, 9:28 am - possible last observed incubation by the male (ID not certain) - link (he was observed by two people incubating April 26 11:25 am - 3:15 pm)

April 30, 6:57 am - last observed incubation of the remaining egg by the female (51 days for first egg, 47 days for second) - link (she also incubated at least part if not all of the previous night)

May 5 - remaining egg removed from tree (56 days after first egg laid) - link
- egg was intact and sloshed a bit, suggesting that it was either non-fertile or had stopped developing fairly early in the process
- link to David's initial report

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:09 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate