Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Burnaby Lake Nest
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: iansmith () on Sunday, May 01 2011 @ 10:22 AM EDT (Read 3077 times)  
Anonymous: iansmith

FIrst mentioned in our "Other Nests" forum. I'll start a seperate thread for this nest. It's located on the south side of Burnaby Lake, opposite the Piper's Spit area.
Here's a link with info about Burnaby Lake Regional Park. http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/burnaby-lake/

Here's some usefull info from Xeneipur's post to get us started.

By: xeniepur on Saturday, April 30 2011 @ 09:21 PM PDT

"The closest road to get there is to come from the west side, Glencairn St. that runs on the north side of the hwy. Driving as far as you can on that road you pass the wildlife rescue center and arrive at a parking lot and the road is barricaded to go further. From there it is about at least a 20 min. walk further east."

Here's a link to Google Maps for the Lake http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q= ... h&z=15

The nest seems to be active this year, but we do not have confirmation of any young yet.

Here's a map with Piper's Spit, and a guesstimate of the nest location.
Click on image to download

By: xeniepur (offline) on Thursday, May 05 2011 @ 12:51 AM EDT  
xeniepur

I hadn't realized that you had set up the separate forum until I saw the link in your reply to Larry's post.

Thanks Ian.Thank You

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: xeniepur (offline) on Sunday, May 29 2011 @ 11:42 AM EDT  
xeniepur

Tried to visit this nest a couple of days ago. I had a bit of a hard time finding it now with all of the new foliage. Finally found it but wasn't able to get close enough to get a good view. Can't see the nest very clearly from the path. Saw an eagle flying near by. Yesterday I went down to Piper St. and took this picture. Looked with binoculars and could see the eagle sitting in the nest but couldn't detect any bobble heads. I'm going to go back to the side of the lake that the nest is on. There is a clearing close to the water to the west of the nest that you can get a view of it. I couldn't find my binocular tripod mount when I was there the other day to try to view the nest from there.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: xeniepur (offline) on Wednesday, June 22 2011 @ 02:10 AM EDT  
xeniepur

I finally got down to the nest again on Sunday. The closest area that I have found to view the nest is just west of the nest where there is a clearing and a stream and the path gets close to the lake. You can go towards the water and then to the left and find a piece of land that juts out and then get a view of the nest to the right. I set up my binoculars and watched for about 45 min. It was between 4-5 pm and a parent was standing in the nest feeding at least 2 eaglets. I have zoomed into the shot in the second pic so you can make out one eaglet head to the right of the parent below the leaf. Click on image to download Click on image to download

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: urban Eagle (offline) on Sunday, June 26 2011 @ 12:33 AM EDT  
urban Eagle

Xeniepur,Once again ,thank you for your wonderfull pic's and monitoring. Congrad"s on your Eaglet's It is so Amazing that all are eagles are thrieving this season CONGRADULATIONS to Ma and Pa Burnaby Lake.
Looks like it be a busy day of added rounds tommorow wheather permiting.
LSitting eagle

May the Sun be at your back,and an Eagle in front of your lens.
Forum

Port Moody

Profile Email   PM

By: xeniepur (offline) on Sunday, June 26 2011 @ 01:27 AM EDT  
xeniepur

Photo of the Burnaby Lake eagle from today. Click on image to download

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: urban Eagle (offline) on Tuesday, March 19 2013 @ 01:42 AM EDT  
urban Eagle

waveFriends of these Eagles,
This was the first time I did some leg work on this nest.
It's a good 20+Min.walk from the parking lot just to get to this nest.
Have seen the pair sorring in the area lately ,but saw no activity at this time ,
Just a couple of pic's of the nest.
Cheers
LSitting eagle

May the Sun be at your back,and an Eagle in front of your lens.
Forum

Port Moody

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Tuesday, March 19 2013 @ 01:01 PM EDT  
stim

wave Morning Larry! Would this be the nest visible from the highway? If so, we passed it on Fri, no sign of any eagles perching nearby nor in the nest as we zipped by around 2:30. Green LOL

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:22 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate