Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Burnaby Eagles - Esmond & Grandview Nest 2011-Present
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: iansmith () on Sunday, April 17 2011 @ 08:45 PM EDT (Read 9090 times)  
Anonymous: iansmith

Welcome to the Burnaby Eagles - Esmond & Grandview Nest thread (formerly known as the Burnaby Bald Eagle Nest)

This eagle pair were said to have started nesting at the Norfolk Nest in the 2006-2007 season and continued to occupy the nest through the 2007-2008 season. In 2009 the eagles chose not to nest there, even though they were both seen in the area many times. In 2010, as reported by local residents, the adults continued to visit the Norfolk nest throughout the season but did not nest. It is generally held that local development in the lot adjacent to the nest prompted the eagles to move on. For details see the archived thread Burnaby Bald Eagle Nest HERE.

In 2011, another nest in the same “eagle territory” was discovered. It was confirmed by David Hancock that this was, indeed, most likely the same pair that had occupied the Norfolk nest.

The new nest is located in Burnaby near the on/off ramp to Hwy1 from Grandview Hwy. It is on Esmond Avenue between Grandview Hwy and Regent Street, one block east of Boundary Road, very high up in the tree. when the nest was discovered there was one adult observed sitting quietly in the nest. No sign of feeding, or other activity in the nest.

Here is a map:
Click on image to download

Stats and History:

2006-2007: Two eaglets were successfully raised and fledged . They were given the names Big and Lil

2007-2008: Two eaglets were successfully raised and fledged. They were named Lucky and Perky. To read and view observations, pictures and videos by HWF member willpatt, of the Burnaby eagles for the 2007 – 2009 eagle nesting seasons (thread located on "old" HWF forum) click HERE

2008-2009: It is now presumed that the adults built their new nest during this year (It wasn't reported on until the spring of 2011). They continued to visit the Norfolk nest throughout the season but no eaglets were seen.

2009-2010: The adults continued to visit the Norfolk nest off and on but again did not produce any chicks there.

2010-20011: One eaglet was observed in the new nest. However, it fell from its nest while branching and a local resident reported he had found the eaglet on the ground and called the wildlife rescue who came and got it.

2011-2012:

By: Anonymous: iansmith () on Sunday, April 17 2011 @ 08:49 PM EDT  

Here's one of the nest. Apparently I can only post images one at a time now.

By: Anonymous: iansmith () on Sunday, April 17 2011 @ 08:55 PM EDT  

Here's a wide shot for a better idea of the nest location. I have mentioned this nest in the "other" forum before, but as far as I know there has never been a report of it being occupied.

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Wednesday, April 27 2011 @ 06:05 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

i used to live Very Near there many many years ago!

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: xeniepur (offline) on Thursday, April 28 2011 @ 04:20 PM EDT  
xeniepur

I first noticed an eagle in this nest back in November 2010. Since then every time I drive by the area I look to see if it is in the nest. Over the past few weeks I have noticed an eagle in the nest and on quite a few occasions sitting on the very high light posts that are on #1 hwy. That is where I saw it sitting today.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: iansmith () on Thursday, April 28 2011 @ 06:46 PM EDT  

Thank you for checking. I haven't been able to get back over to this part of the city. Hopefully on the weekend.

By: xeniepur (offline) on Friday, April 29 2011 @ 12:15 AM EDT  
xeniepur

I went back over today with my camera hoping that I might get a picture of the eagle sitting on the light pole. It was in the nest so I tried every possible angle to get a clear shot but it's very difficult to see the eagle the way the nest is situated (good for her (him)). Unfortunately it was standing in the nest when I was on Grandview hwy traveling towards the on ramp to hwy #1 east and it wasn't safe to stop and jump out for a photo.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: iansmith () on Friday, April 29 2011 @ 03:37 AM EDT  

Thank you for looking and reporting back. A photo is not necessary. The info is much more valuable than the photo. Some of us just really like getting "the shot" and sharing it on here. Very good to hear this pair have a visible eaglet. I will really make an effort to get over there this weekend with the long lens and the tripod. Any time you can safely gather some info and share with us, it's always appreciated. Don't feel you need a photo to go with it. Thanks again.

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:43 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate