Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Nico Wynd, Crescent Beach, BC 2011-2015 Bald Eagle Nest
 |  Printable Version
By: Les Elias (offline) on Sunday, July 24 2011 @ 07:17 PM EDT  
Les Elias

Hello Sandra and thank you for information,

I take hundreds of pictures of "our eagles", many posted at my website (http://mynicowynd.com). I just did not have a feeling about posting the photos here.
Here is an update about our eagles: Only one of the juniors was flying till yesterday. Finally this morning the second one took off for the first time. It is very interesting how the two juniors communicate. The first flying one was encouraging the other. They look at each other and "talk"'. Here are pictures when the more experienced one is getting the other to fly up to the top of the tree, taken this afternoon. Then it was flying up and down between the top of the tree and the nest,

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: sandra gee (offline) on Monday, July 25 2011 @ 10:51 AM EDT  
sandra gee

Good Morning Les wave, thanks for the info on the 2nd fledge...success Left thumb up, and the info about the juvies communicating with each other. The photos of the legs hanging down are adorable Wub.

When I get a minute later today I'll check out your site for more photos, thanks.

Sandra, Nanaimo BC
Member since Spring, 2006
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"
Song for Sean, John Lennon

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sandra gee (offline) on Wednesday, August 03 2011 @ 02:59 AM EDT  
sandra gee

Here are some photos taken on July 27th, the two eaglets at home with a parent.
Click on image to download

and

Sandra, Nanaimo BC

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Les Elias (offline) on Saturday, August 13 2011 @ 12:47 AM EDT  
Les Elias

Nice pictures Sandra and thank you for your help Karen.
I am late with my updates and pictures, will do it later. Now I would like to share the following.
Our eagle family's last day here at the home nest was Aug.5. After that I did not see any eagles for several days. Then on Aug. 10, during a late evening walking on the dike I noticed an eagle in the "lookout" tree (it's a tree close to the nest tree and closer to the golf course with a good lookout for eagles over the golf course and all ponds).
Later I noticed a second eagle arrived and they stayed in the lookout tree for the night. Both were adult. They did not go to the nest tree at all. Were they our eagles? If yes, why they would not go home?
(I had to edit the picture - it was dark, with only silhouettes, like black and white - to see white heads and tails.)
Next day and today there was only one eagle, in the lookout tree.
I thought that there was something wrong with her (looks like a female). I took more pictures this afternoon and wanted to go home , when she suddenly took off. She went to the top of the nest tree, stayed there only a couple of minutes and left.
On two of other pictures I took yesterday and today, it looks that this eagle had a band and may be our female. I will try to find out.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Les Elias (offline) on Friday, August 19 2011 @ 05:41 PM EDT  
Les Elias

Yesterday evening I noticed from a long distance a big bird in the lookout tree. I was surprised. It looked like an eagle, it was on the lookout branch. I was sure it was an eagle. I zoomed in and got this picture
I could not recognize it in the camera display, only later at home, when I could see it on the computer.
I walked around to get a better view of the bird and finally I got this picture. Well, it was a big bird, sleeping - but it was not an eagle. Yes, you are right, it was a blue heron.
I've never seen a heron in this tree before. He must know that eagles are away.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: sandra gee (offline) on Friday, August 19 2011 @ 06:53 PM EDT  
sandra gee

3:43pm
Hi Les :hello:, nice photos Left thumb up. The pair in the lookout tree must have been Mom and Pop, I think that's a little too close for another pair to feel comfortable enough to spend the night. Maybe they didn't go into the nest tree because there were none of their eaglets around.

The single eagle looks fine to me (beautiful photo BTW), I don't see any band on the leg.

I had to chuckle when I saw your photo of the 'other' bird in the lookout tree, check out those long skinny legs Titter, how cute! Your close up looks like it could be a baby heron Wub, brave little guy eh!.

Sandra, Nanaimo BC

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Les Elias (offline) on Monday, October 03 2011 @ 10:52 PM EDT  
Les Elias

Hello to all - our eagles are back!!

The last day we could see our eagle family together was 8 of August. Then they left for rivers with large salmon runs. Now they are back.

On September 27, just before 7, as it was getting darker, an eagle landed in the nest. I could tell that our female returned home. She spent there only a few minutes and then flew away towards the lookout tree or farther to the golf course.
Now we have a salmon run in the Nicomekl River running around our golf course. Here are pictures of our female taking a nap on the mast of an anchored boat taken on September 29.
and also on a lookout for salmons..
and here she is at her home tree
Her mate arrived on Sunday, October 2, and now they both are here at home.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Tuesday, October 04 2011 @ 01:28 AM EDT  
sassyk

Les, I'm glad to hear your eagles are back safe and looking very healthyClapping

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 08:12 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate