Forum Index > Welcome to the Forum! > Technical Help
 Programs for S'caps and Videos
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, April 07 2011 @ 07:36 AM EDT (Read 11733 times)  
JudyB

We regularly get questions about how to take screenshots or screen captures (also known as s'caps) and how to make videos of the activities on the various nests. This thread is intended to be a place where we can discuss the various programs we use, what we like or don't like about them, and perhaps have some tutorials (or link to some that were written for the old forum).

Like many threads, it may end up evolving over time.

Part of the reason we're starting this thread now is because we are having issues with attachments in PNG format - which is the way a number of capture programs save their images. Richard is working on the problem, but right now, attachments in PNG format won't show up in your post, even if the FILE tags are used correctly.

I've done a wee bit of research, and have found that PNG probably does save the images at a higher quality than JPG - but it makes much larger files in most cases, and the difference in quality isn't likely to be apparent on a computer screen unless you're doing a lot of editing and Save-As copies of the picture. So if you're making one of the fun pictures for a Chat thread with the eagles wearing birthday hats - you may have better results working with a PNG file as you try different things, and then saving to JPG in the end. But if you're just taking a quick pic of a little chick and posting it - JPG makes for a smaller file and a page that loads a lot faster.

I expect there are similar issues with the various video formats, but don't know enough about them to comment on that.

Please let us know what program you are using, the format or formats it uses, pros and cons - whatever you think will be helpful.

And let me know if there are other suggestions I should add to this post. Thanks!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, April 07 2011 @ 07:36 AM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, April 07 2011 @ 07:42 AM EDT  
JudyB

I use CaptureWizPro for s'caps. It saves the shots in PNG format in a temporary folder (mine is set to remove those copies after 7 days), and I normally do an immediate Save-As to JPG for posting - one of the options available after I take a s'cap. I can also move the pictures out of the temp folder to a permanent folder if I want to save the original PNGs.

The program is Windows-only, and does work with Windows 7. It's about $40 US, and there's a Lite version for $20.

It also records video, and I don't do that often enough to remember the format it uses.

And I'm late for work so will continue this later - bye!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Thursday, April 07 2011 @ 03:16 PM EDT  
yalitldevl

I use MWsnap, it's free, easy and an excellent capture program

it can be found here at Cnet which is safe to download...

MWsnap Free Capture Software

scroll down till you see this and click 'download'

Click on image to download

I don't remember how it looks as it installs just make sure you're saving shots as jpegs! It's easiest once installed to chose the "Any Area" which lets you drag the mouse over the cam area you want and just click and boom there's the shot of just what you wanted. Then you save it, name it and be sure it's marked as jpeg. Don't use the "window" or "desktop" options as then you're taking a full screen shot and shots that size are unneccessary

that above shot showing you what to look for is 12.2 kb's. My average nest shots are between 60 & 65 kb's. Very small and no problem for the site. Never take a screen capture when you are viewing the cam full page, always put the cam to normal view then take the shot

Hope this helps somebody Titter

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, April 07 2011 @ 09:45 PM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks, Lori - just the sort of information and hints I was hoping folks would post! Left thumb up

Other programs???

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: Skipper () on Thursday, April 07 2011 @ 11:12 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Skipper

Here is a link to an (ancient!!) video tutorial that I did years ago on how to do screencaptures using Windows Paint which people will have on their computers if their operating system is Windows XP--so no need to download (or pay for) a screencapture program:

mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20071104140437364

I use Picture It! which came installed on my computer already, but Picture It! is not available anymore. But if your computer is as old as mine is, you might have it Rolling on floor laughing

1. Hit the PrintScrn/SysRq key
2. Open up Picture It! and click on "File" and then "New"
3. Hold down the Ctrl key and hit V to paste it into Picture It!

The downside to both of these ways of doing screencaptures is that you can only do one s'cap at a time. I also have used MWSnap and you can do one after the other if you want.

My favourite program which also does screencaps (but only one at a time) is Photoscape. It's an awesome photoprocessing program and has an excellent website with video tutorials (click on the "Help" tab):

http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

To record video from the webcam, you need a screen recorder. Some are free and some you have to purchase. But most have a free trial so you can test out to see which one works best for you. Google "screen recorder" and a list of the many that are available to download will come up. Most come with instructions/help files that will explain how to use the screen recorder. Some have the option to edit the video, add effects, upload directly to YouTube, etc.

Didn't we have a thread someplace already similar to this Puzzled

Edited to add:

Found it -- on the old forum:

http://discuss.hancockwildlifechannel.o ... =10&t=3131

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, April 09 2011 @ 10:44 AM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks, Skipper! Your tutorials are great!

I'd been thinking we did have some of this info on the old forum, but hadn't found time to look yet - thanks also for doing that.

Richard has discovered that one of the reasons the forum has been a bit unstable has to do with the way the forum software is handling PNG files, so for now he's made it so we can't attach files in PNG format - making it more important that we find additional free or inexpensive programs for s'caps that will save in JPG format, and/or programs that will convert from PNG to JPG. Thanks!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: Skipper () on Sunday, April 10 2011 @ 11:59 AM EDT  
Anonymous: Skipper

I was looking for a program that I can change the outside dimensions of a video after recording it--now that the Sidney Eagles stream is sk(r)ewed Smile and I came across this comprehensive list of screen recorders:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... g_software

Clicking on the links takes you to Wiki articles but most of them are "broken" -- so google names of programs that you are interested in :-)

All times are EST. The time is now 09:03 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate