Forum Index > Conservation  > Planet Earth
 Tsunami-stranded porpoise rescued from Japan rice field
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Friday, March 25 2011 @ 08:00 AM EDT (Read 2748 times)  
jkr

Tsunami-stranded porpoise rescued from Japan rice field

Click on image to download

A baby porpoise that was washed over a mile (about 2km) inland by Japan's tsunami earlier this month has been rescued from a flooded rice paddy.

Local people spotted the animal more than a week after the 11 March disaster and alerted animal rescue workers.

One man eventually caught the finless porpoise in his arms and carried it back out to sea.

Rescuers said the metre-long mammal had suffered a few scratches but was otherwise healthy.

"Immediately after I spotted it, I realised I could not ignore it. I had to do something," Masayuki Sato told the Asahi newspaper.

"This was also a victim of the tsunami."

He telephoned the animal welfare group, who were in the area rescuing pets stranded by the disaster.

They fashioned a stretcher but volunteer Ryo Taira eventually waded into the rice field and caught the animal himself.

"I don't know if it will survive, but it's much better than dying in a rice field, right?" he told the newspaper.

The death toll from Japan's quake and tsunami has risen to 9,523. Another 16,094 people are listed as missing.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12844677

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 03:36 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate