Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Owls
 MVP Barn Owls - Langley BC
 |  Printable Version
By: Pat B (offline) on Friday, March 18 2011 @ 11:57 AM EDT (Read 2284 times)  
Pat B

Two Barn Owl Nest Boxes Set with Cams

Today Ken, Richard and I worked with Metro Vancouver Parks (MVP) and set into place four cams in two different Barn Owl nests.
This is part of our upcoming cooperative efforts to bring our live eagle and other cams to many more schools.

The two barn owl nests in question are located just down the road from our HWF headquarters in Campbell Valley Regional Park.
The MVP wants to incorporate live cams in their school programs and have called upon the HWF to undertake the installation and, down the line, some cooperative effort on the final program productions.

It is fascinating to me that for several years one or both of the pairs of owls have nested in the two ends of the same barn. The nests are less than 100 feet apart but one faces East and the other faces West.
We hope they will continue to do so.

I took the following photos at the installation this AM. It shows the box which MVP built, Ken and Richard
wired in the cams and Ken, Chris and I placed in the barn.

Chris and Richard Stabilizing the nest box. Chris with the box - showing double doors - to slow down escape at banding time.

Ken telling Richard what to do. Ken and Chris - just down from the nest box.
Click the photos for much larger image.

Also shown is Les Huish, the superintendent of this park in Langley. MVP has also put in a fine 'Nitro' cable from Shaw to handle the 4 cams inside the nest boxes and two additional outside cams to show the owls coming and going.

The launch of these cams will hopefully be in early April when we do a live broadcast from the site to honor both the owls and the National Children's Art Contest supported by Robert Bateman and the Metro Vancouver Parks. More to come.

David Hancock

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:34 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate