Forum Index > H.W.F. Community Information > Hancock's Comments From The Field
 Hancock Sidney Update 3
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, February 16 2011 @ 12:40 AM EST (Read 1295 times)  
JudyB

FROM DAVID HANCOCK:

(Written 2/15/11 at 8:23 p.m. PST)

Busy day. Got a very positive response from MOE suggesting our plans to get confirmation of any potential damage to Pa via video was a great approach. Ian and Harry were today working at getting the feeding site property permissions and food source lined up.

Then calls this morning from Harry that he had reviewed earlier screen shots (I have not yet seen them) that the day before the neck mark appeared he had seen an intruder at the nest that had an off-cam altercation with Pa. This was heard and then when Pa next appeared he had the neck mark. This suggests a possible source of the neck mark -- a wound from an altercation. This lends some credence to my observations. Namely that I never could see a line around Pa's neck. I earlier suggested that he had possibly hit a branch while 'attacking a tree' to obtain nesting branches. The neck mark looks to me far more like a skin tear that dries up and curls the skin and feathers, than a fish line constriction. However, if Pa was losing ground, his health, it does not matter the cause as much as how we could compensate. If this mark is from a wound, rather than a restricting fish line, it may well heal and the problem is solved. Maybe this is happening.

Then later in day Anna and others had captured shots of Pa and Ma at the nest and these showed him in top form -- but with the neck ring evident. My joy was seeing his behavior as very robust and normal. Great postings.

Then tonight, while talking with Karen, she read Lynda's comments only posted moments earlier, on watching the pair while Ian videoed them. Her point was that both birds were vigorous and appeared healthy. Wonderful -- the pair seen live and on video and looking very strong and capable.

So I take today as very positive. We should quickly proceed with the feeding site as this will give us some control should the need arise. We were and are some time from deciding to capture Pa -- this would only be permitted should from good videos confirm that his health was in grave danger. We are some time from that thankfully but will proceed with continued observations by the keen ground crew -- and with great video captures that equally confirm vigorous health.

Thanks again, ground crew, for the positive reports.

David Hancock

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:38 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate