Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Carolina Raptor Center NC - 2011 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, December 06 2010 @ 10:08 PM EST (Read 88378 times)  
JudyB

Carolina Raptor Center, NC - 2011 - Bald Eagle Cam

WCNC Eagle Cam
The camera refreshes every five seconds. No sound or night vision - but when all goes well, currently the earliest glimpse at eagle chicks.

Additional links:

The nest is located at the Carolina Raptor Center, near Charlotte, North Carolina. Derek and Savannah are non-releasable eagles who have been at the Carolina Raptor Center since 1998 (see next post for more details). They became a pair, and she laid her first eggs in 2004. They didn't hatch, but in 2006 two eggs hatched; the eaglets Len and Lola were taken to a hacking tower when they were 6 weeks old and subsequently fledged; they have GPS units and can be tracked at the Carolina Raptor Center Eagle Tracking Project. They had one egg hatch in 2008, and that chick Letha was also successfully fledged from a hacking tower, but not tracked. No eggs hatched in 2009; they think the unusually cold weather was responsible, and responded by insulating the pair's preferred nestbox (which is on the ground). The pair laid three eggs in 2010; the first egg hatched, was named Noah (and later determined to be female), and successfully fledged; the second hatched but the chick was not strong enough to survive, and the third failed before hatching. Noah was tracked to Virginia, where they lost the signal from her transmitter; transmitters do fail, so we are hoping Noah is doing well.

There are five other adult eagles at CRC, and I think most of them share the enclosure with Derek and Savannah, though they know better than to come close to the nest. I've also seen what appear to be a couple of juveniles in the enclosure in December 2010, though their stories aren't posted yet on the CRC site.

Based on past experience, look for eggs in early January, chicks in mid-February, and fledging from a hacking tower in early May.

2010-2011 Season:

• cam on: for testing, Dec 6; full-time, Dec 9
  • eggs laid: January 25, 4:20 pm; maybe January 28, 5:00 pm
  • hatched: March 4, confirmed by CRC at 1:41 pm (day 38); March 5, likely seen by 2:50 pm (day 36)
  • sad news: March 31, the younger eaglet (known to us at HWF as LB) died; a necropsy didn't find any apparent cause (26 days old)
  • named: Kinsey (but BB to us here at HWF)
  • to hacking tower: April 21, 2011
  • first perched: Monday, May 2, 2011
  • fledged: May 20, 2011
  • last seen: cam offline May 31; food left near the tower still being eaten as of June 14th

(Information from Carolina Raptor Center; 2010 screen cap of Derek and 5-day-old Noah by BET; Savannah and one of the other resident eagles are visible in the background)

Link to the thread for the previous nesting season

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, December 06 2010 @ 10:08 PM EST  
JudyB

Thanks to CAL04 for finding the information below - and to the Carolina Raptor Center for all they do for eagles and other raptors.

"Carolina Raptor Center is located inside Latta Plantation Nature Preserve just 20 minutes north of Charlotte. Latta Plantation Nature Preserve is Mecklenburg County's largest nature preserve and protects over 1,290 acres." Latta Plantation Nature Preserve

Derek, per CRC: "Derek a male bald eagle, came to Carolina Raptor Center in August of 1998 from the South Carolina Center for Birds of Prey (now known as the International Center for Birds of Prey) in Charleston, SC. He was at least seven years old when he arrived. He had been found in December of 1995 with a gun shot injury that resulted in a broken left leg and a broken right wing. Although rehabilitators were able to treat his wing and his leg, Derek is not able to fly well enough to survive on his own in the wild. He lives on display at Carolina Raptor Center, where he acts as an ambassador for the 38,000 visitors that visit each year. For the past several years, he has bonded with Savannah, one of the bald eagles that shares his display aviary. Their offspring, Len and Lola, were hatched in March of 2006, and have been released to the wild. You can track their progress on our website. ...."

"Derek is named after a very special boy that visited Carolina Raptor Center on many occasions. Derek Hageman loved raptors and could name almost every raptor. He pointed them out to his parents and would tell his classmates stories about the birds. When Derek passed away at the age of nine, Carolina Raptor Center became a place of remembrance for his family. His mother volunteered at CRC as she was learning to deal with her loss. At a memorial service at Derek's school, Carolina Raptor Center released a rehabilitated hawk as symbolic of Derek's spirit beginning a new journey. Derek was a special boy and it was a wonderful tribute to name one of our resident eagles after him."

Savannah, per CRC: "Savannah came to CRC in 1998 from the South Carolina Center for Birds of Prey in Charleston, South Carolina. She was found in the wild with a fractured left wing, and although we are not sure exactly what caused her injury, it is most likely the result of a collision, whether with a vehicle or power line or something else we’ll never know. She has adjusted to life at CRC quite well, and has found a mate here. Savannah and Derek have raised two eaglets in our aviary, and we were able to successfully release those eaglets to the wild."

=======

Since the above was written, Derek and Savannah successfully raised another eaglet, Letha, in 2008, and many of us watched them raise Noah in 2010. I'm not sure where I saw the information, but I believe that the GPS readings led researchers to conclude that Lola might have had a nest of her own in 2010 - though I think it wasn't in a place were it could be safely observed. The 2010 eaglet was named in honor of Lance Corporal Noah Pier, a Marine from Charlotte who died while serving overseas; Noah was subsequently found to be female, and after some discussion about feminizing her name, it was decided to keep the original name Noah.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, December 06 2010 @ 10:10 PM EST  
JudyB

Kittenface reported on the Maine forum that the cam was back online! Smile It was well after dark when I saw her post - but I am planning to take a peek tomorrow!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Wednesday, December 08 2010 @ 01:42 AM EST  
Anonymous: CAL04

Great news, JudyB. Thank you! Thank you to kittenface too. Grin

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, December 08 2010 @ 08:46 AM EST  
JudyB

Well, the announcement may be a bit premature - you can see the nest box, but it's a still shot from Monday. I asked about the cam being down on the Carolina Raptor Center's Facebook page, and they said they weren't quite ready to go live yet, and they'd let us know when everything was in place. (I'm guessing "let us know" means they'll post on their FB page - which would work if I remembered to check FB more than once every couple of weeks! Titter )

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Thursday, December 09 2010 @ 09:32 AM EST  
Anonymous: CAL04

Grin Good morning CRC,

Cam is refreshing every 5 seconds. I see eagles in action.
9:18 am,
Click on image to download

The live screen is also on FB.

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, December 09 2010 @ 01:22 PM EST  
JudyB

Wonderful news, CAL! The first egg was seen January 5 last year, so this pair is getting close!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, December 09 2010 @ 05:02 PM EST  
JudyB

5 pm
They're working on their nest. love

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 10:41 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate