Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - White Rock Nest Camera Archive
 White Rock 2012 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: Pat B (offline) on Friday, December 03 2010 @ 12:57 PM EST (Read 709565 times)  
Pat B

White Rock, BC ~ Bald Eagle Nest 2012 Season

This nest is located on private property in White Rock, BC

Two Axis 1346E fixed-focus high-definition cameras have been aimed at the eagle nest on the White Rock bluff overlooking Boundary Bay to the west of White Rock, on the south-west coast of beautiful British Columbia. There are infrared lights (eagles cannot see nor detect the infrared light, only the cameras can) so the nests will also be visible at night.

Discussion, Observation, Screenshots & Videos -- White Rock Bald Eagle Nest.

NOTE:
This thread is for Discussion, Observations, Screenshots & Videos solely related to actions / events / occurrences at the White Rock nest

Screenshots and photos and/or links to videos are welcome in this thread as part of the discussion. We welcome all screenshots and videos of the White Rock nest captured via the webcams.

As a courtesy to viewers with slower internet connections, please limit the pictures in each post to no more than a total of 150,000 bytes (4 to 6 average screenshots), and please do not post animations (though it's fine to post a link to them).

More pictures of the camera installation HERE

2012 Nesting Season

Hatching should start: possible April 17, more likely April 20 (the first egg hatched 38 days after it was laid in 2011)

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Tuesday, January 11 2011 @ 05:00 PM EST  
Pat B

Here is a Map - Using Google Earth - showing the relative positions of the
Vancouver Area Nests

Click for a bigger version

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Saturday, February 12 2011 @ 06:40 PM EST  
Pat B

About the White Rock Nest

Click for a bigger picture

This is the latest nest location on what I called the old "Block Bros. nest territory" that twice had the nest removed to allow a subdivision. This nest is 500 yards to the south.
The best tree in a clump of fine Douglas fir was chosen to install a few key support branches in the hopes of enticing eagles to nest. The landowner, and longtime friend of mine, did everything hoped for -- according to the eagles -- and this season the old Block Bros. pair took up residence and built a fine nest in the modified tree.

David's Comments
This is a very good option, and the landowner's support is a great bonus. This is a must as these birds feed at the entrance to the world's best bald eagle habitat -- Boundary Bay.
It is also along the north shore of Boundary Bay that the two Delta cam nests reside and the winter attraction of the Vancouver Landfill attracts up to 800 eagles daily.
Over 24 eagle nests border this Bay.

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Monday, October 03 2011 @ 07:40 AM EDT  
Pat B

From a post by AnniesKatz, November 18, 2011:

Last week, I made a collage of Mom and Dad. It can be difficult to tell the difference at times. Mom has a larger beak and to me has more of a "hook" to it than Dad. He is smaller but I have observed the same thing as you; he seems larger than he was last year. Mom has a wider head. His head feathers are sleeker than hers. They both have some lighter feathers on
their chests but Mom has more. This may change as time goes by but right now, that is what I'm observing.

Here's the collage. They are standing in approximately the same spot in the nest and though their heads are turned in different directions, you can see that her beak is larger. You can also see the lighter feather pattern on her breast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks, Annie! :thumrht:

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Monday, October 03 2011 @ 11:27 AM EDT  
AnniesKatz

October 3, 2011

wave HI Pat Thank you for our 2012 season thread!

fingers crossed We see Mom and Dad soon.

Cool and windy this morning.
Click on image to download

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: Bonnie (offline) on Monday, October 03 2011 @ 01:19 PM EDT  
Bonnie

Click on image to download
OK the start of the new thread is really making me get excited now... Ma and Pa will be back soon and we will have some excitement to watch then instead of a nest that needs lots of work.

Bonnie
Indiana

Forum

Indiana

Profile Email   PM

By: Arlene (offline) on Monday, October 03 2011 @ 05:11 PM EDT  
Arlene

Hi Bonnie and Annie
I had a moment of panic when I thought I had lost everything!!!LOL Nice to start the season with a fresh thread!!!
I watched the nest all day today....well it was on beside me while I worked....and all is quiet. I really hope to be on when Mom and Dad return to restore the nest. If Charlie and Delta pop by...will we maybe recognize them by their tail feathers again do you think???

Forum

Brandon, Manitoba

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Brian H () on Tuesday, October 04 2011 @ 11:11 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Brian H

Quote by: Arlene

... If Charlie and Delta pop by...will we maybe recognize them by their tail feathers again do you think???

AFAIK, they change feathers and colouration so fast at this stage that they'll be unrecognizable that way. Maybe by size and behaviour, tho'.

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:29 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate