Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Other North American Nests with Ground Observers
 Red River, Washington Eagle Nests
 |  Printable Version
By: PacNorWest (offline) on Thursday, February 11 2010 @ 10:13 PM EST (Read 132498 times)  
PacNorWest

This thread is for reporting on three American Bald Eagle nests near the Red River. Generally, the area of these nests is called the Lummi Flats. It is an area in Western Whatcom County * Northwest Washingtom State, between the Nooksack River and Lummi Bay. The Red River {aka Lummi River} runs through this floodplain. The area is flat and open farmland, with many fields in open space grassland. Along with my reports on these three nests, I will be sharing information and photographs of other local birds that I see in the area. It is an honor to be able to contribute to this Hancock Wildlife Discussion Forum.

The RED RIVER nest is in a Cottonwood tree. I have visited this nest a few times over the last three weeks. There is almost always one adult Bald Eagle in the tree, and often there are two adults. Only once have I seen an adult in the nest.
I did get a chance to speak with a young man who lives nearby. He wasn’t sure, but he said that the eagles built the nest 2 1/2 to 3 years ago, “when we were planting strawberries”. He thought that there were eaglets there last year, but was uncertain about numbers. I will be speaking to other locals as opportunity presents itself.

The Smuggler's Slough nest is about a mile south of the Red River nest.
It is located on a farm with no public access. I have permission to enter the property to monitor the nest.

The Nooksack nest is near Ferndale rd. close to where the Red River branches out from the Nooksack River.
This is a very old, large nest which is difficult to see into.

I have also been watching a nest near Scudder Pond, by Lake Whatcom.

To anyone who may visit these nests, please contribute any observations and photos you make. However, please use extreme caution when parking along the roads. Make sure your vehicle is entirely off the road. One of the nearby roads is high speed and very busy. Also, do not trespass. Please respect the local people and businesses.

The nest * January 27, 2010
Click on image to download

The nest is in the tallest tree at the left.This photo looking West. * January 31, 2010

Doug
Bellingham, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: PacNorWest (offline) on Thursday, February 11 2010 @ 10:32 PM EST  
PacNorWest

Nest as seen from the South * January 31, 2010

Two adults in nest tree {lower left side of tree} * February 6, 2010

Doug
Bellingham, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: PacNorWest (offline) on Thursday, February 11 2010 @ 10:42 PM EST  
PacNorWest

One Kilometer upstream * January 31, 2010
February 15, 2010 update. This is now confirmed as an active Red-Tail hawk nest.

Doug
Bellingham, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 01:52 AM EST  
edkeagle

PACNW: Congrats on starting your thread. I really like the photo with one eagle in nest and another nearby. I'm very familiar with Ferndale and the Nooksack River, but was not aware of the Red River. I know if you start hitting the back roads in Whatcom County, especially in the Sumas area, you'll find some nests. -- Ed

First you must follow before you lead.

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: HikerBikerGram (offline) on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 02:20 PM EST  
HikerBikerGram

Welcome PACNW, Great to have you join us. I love your photos and will look forward to more. Lets hope there will be little ones this year.wave

Wildlife Photography, Nature Provides It And We Pass It On

Linda/HikerBikerGram

Joined May 12, 2009

"Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Forum

Maryville, Il USA

Profile Email   PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 02:48 PM EST  
yalitldevl

Congrats Doug on the new nest and thread! I'll bookmark and come back and check the comings and goings of these eagles. Great job and pics Titter

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: PacNorWest (offline) on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 09:55 PM EST  
PacNorWest

Thanks Ed, HikerBikerGram, & Lori. wave This should be fun.
Lori, I really enjoyed your photos of your local eagles, merlin and especially the Shrike. Its been a long time since I've seen one of those. --Doug

Doug
Bellingham, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: PacNorWest (offline) on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 10:34 PM EST  
PacNorWest

I visited the nest today from 1:45 --- 2:15. I could see one white head in the nest. No movement or changes for the 30 minutes I was there. Very windy !!

February 12, 2010

This male Northern Harrier was working the field across the road. I saw many harriers today. They like the wind ! click bigger

This hawk was also in the nest area. A Rough Legged hawk. Note the damaged feather on the left wing. click bigger.

Doug
Bellingham, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 01:26 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate