Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Duke Farms, NJ - 2011 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (online) on Monday, October 18 2010 @ 12:24 PM EDT (Read 85680 times)  
JudyB

Duke Farms, New Jersey - Bald Eagle Cam

http://www.dukefarms.org/Education/Rese ... Eagle-Cam/
This nest has streaming video, with a good view of the nest, though the focus is a little fuzzy.

"Duke Farms is a 2,700-acre estate in Hillsborough, New Jersey, and is owned and supported by the Duke Farms Foundation. The mission of Duke Farms is to be a model of environmental stewardship in the 21st Century and inspire visitors to become informed stewards of the land. This Eagle Cam was installed to provide researchers with an opportunity to monitor a pair of nesting Bald Eagles without any disturbance to the birds. It is being shared with the public to provide viewers with a glimpse of wildlife in its natural environment." ( 2009 Doris Duke Charitable Foundation. All rights reserved.)

2009 was the first year we watched this pair, and the site doesn't provide any history on them. They successfully raised and fledged three chicks in 2009, with both parents sometimes feeding at the same time from different areas of the nest, making it easier for the smallest to get a share. The pair laid two eggs in 2010, and both fledged successfully.

2010-2011 Season:

• cam up: January 5
  • eggs laid: Feb 28, 2:00 pm; Mar 3, 3:09 pm; Mar 6, seen 4:16 pm
  • hatched: April 7, 8:04 am (38 days); April 9, 7:14 am (37 days)
  • banded: May 20 (about 6 weeks old); older - green band on right; younger - green band on left; both likely male
  • first branched: 6/8/2011 for the younger one;
  • fledged: | Duke II (younger one) on June 25, 6:23 am (77 days) | Violet (older one) July 2, 6:50 am (86 days)

(s'cap April 21, 2009, by JudyB)

Link to last year's thread for this nest

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (online) on Monday, October 18 2010 @ 12:24 PM EDT  
JudyB

Reserved

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Debs (offline) on Saturday, November 06 2010 @ 06:31 PM EDT  
Debs

Good Evening Duke Farms :hello:

I know there is not alot of activity at this nest yet Nodding yes but I did want to drop in and extend our warm appreciation Wub and many thanks Wub to one of our members here, Nancy aka eaglet999. I know that Nancy has posted here before so it only seems fitting to post our Thank You here!

For those of you that do not know Nancy's Wub backgound includes graphic designer/art director with 25 years of experience Clapping :dry: Clapping.
Nancy has done alot of work behind the scenes too for Non Profit groups and graciously donated her time, talent Whistling and experience Left thumb up to the HWF 2011 Eagle Calendar project Thank You so much!! We could not have completed this beautiful and wonderful project within these tight timelines without your support Nancy so thank you so much for your generous donation Wub Clapping Wub

As you know there are many other Members and Content Providers that have screen captures and/or pictures featured in this beautiful calendar big congrats to all of you Wub and thank you again for your wonderful contribution! Santa and I Titter are busy visiting some of those threads too so you may see us again Grin!

Additionally, on behalf of HWF we sincerely extend our warmest thanks Nodding yes to each of you Wub our membership Wub who truly make our family at HWF love so very special . Your loving observations, beautiful screen captures, life like pictures and outstanding videos make you a part of our very own and talented Eagle Paparazzi so thank you for your wonderful contributions they are and you are the very best Wub!

Now off I go with Santa Titter we have many stops this afternoon! Remember the last date to order this beautiful calendar is November 12!
Click on image to download

May you embrace all the "blessings and gifts" that surround you in your life ... let your spirit soar :-)

Forum

North Pole

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: maryann11 () on Friday, January 07 2011 @ 08:33 AM EST  
Anonymous: maryann11

Mug of coffee Good morning Duke Farms! Cam is up Very Happy

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/eagle-cam

It looks like mom and dad have been busy rebuilding the nest...

Snowy nest

The time stamp on the video is 1 hour ahead.

By: golden1 (offline) on Friday, January 07 2011 @ 09:49 AM EST  
golden1

Hi Maryann11 good to hear from you again. It sure is snowy there right now. So glad to see this cam up and running. I loved watching this nest last year.

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (online) on Friday, January 07 2011 @ 10:37 AM EST  
JudyB

Wonderful news - thanks, Maryann! It's really great that we should be able to see the whole nesting season this year - I just updated the opening post, and noticed that last year the cam didn't come on until mid-March, almost a month after the eggs were laid. It is true that watching little chicks is great - but I also enjoy watching the pair interact as they prepare the nest - and the dedication they show as they incubate the eggs - and we've missed that with this pair.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: katygman (offline) on Friday, January 07 2011 @ 02:24 PM EST  
katygman

Judy -

I followed this forum last year, but this is my first time posting here.

First, I have to say thank you to all that post here. I learned a lot about bald eagles last year and I look forward to learning even more!

According to the Duke Farms website, the camera was delayed last year due to storm damage in January. So I am glad I have the opportunity to see the pre-egg preparations this year.

I also wanted to point you to some documents that the state of New Jersey has compiled about nesting bald eagles. They document this pair as having a nest at DF back 5-6 years ago. It also lists the number of eggs and off-spring each year. If you cannot find the documents I am referring to, please let me know and I will hunt them down for you.

Once again, my thanks to everyone for all the information and pictures.

Kathy

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglet999 (offline) on Friday, January 07 2011 @ 04:52 PM EST  
eaglet999

Hi All!! Smile

Hi maryann!!!:hello:

Good to see Duke Farms up early!! Very Happy Wub

4:46 Eastern Time: Adult in nest
4:47 ET: Adult takes off to right.

4:52 ET (real time): adult comes in from left with clump of nest material.

Forum

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:01 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate