Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Chilliwack Bald Eagles
 |  Printable Version
By: mmud (offline) on Saturday, October 09 2010 @ 03:08 AM EDT (Read 157932 times)  
mmud

Welcome to the Chilliwack Bald Eagles thread.
This site is for pictures and information about eagles and wildlife in the Chilliwack area and all are welcome to post their pictures and observations here.

The City of Chilliwack, British Columbia is a community of approximately 80,000 people, located 100 kilometers east of the City of Vancouver in the beautiful Fraser Valley.

Click on image to download

There are many eagle nests in this area but I've only discovered 9 as of Oct. 2010. Mr. Hancock gave me information on a few others in the area. I was able to find two of them last spring and both nests produced fledges. Two from the Ballam Rd. nest & one from the Kitchen Rd. nest. I watched two other nests as well and they each fledged two eagles.
The "Far Away" nest (so named because I couldn't get very close to it until the landowner allowed me onto his propery, if I would send him pics of the eagles, which I happily did) & the Yale Rd. nest which I've watched since 2008.

There are several other nests that I know the general location of & hope to find them once the trees have shed their leaves.
This is a pic of "The Perch Tree" taken on Jan. 13/10. Unfortunately it was removed 4 months later.

Any questions regarding this thread, please click the "e-mail" link at the bottom of this post and I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can.

Forum

Chilliwack, B.C.

Profile Email Website PM

By: mmud (offline) on Saturday, October 09 2010 @ 04:04 AM EDT  
mmud

A few pics from late Sept. & Oct. this year.

Sept 25th This was the first time I've seen an eagle at the nest on Camp River Rd. The owner of the property informed me that they have another nest behind his property and I'm hoping to find it once the leaves are off the trees.

One of the Kitchen Rd. adults on a favorite perch Sept. 25th.

Sept 28th The "Far Away" nest pair have a secondary nest on Prest Rd. which I've seen them at several times in the last couple of weeks. I saw them here several times last year before they decided to use the other nest.

Forum

Chilliwack, B.C.

Profile Email Website PM

By: mmud (offline) on Saturday, October 09 2010 @ 04:07 AM EDT  
mmud

Sept 28th One of the adults flew off in the direction of the nest they used this year.

Oct. 1 Both adults were at the Yale Rd. nest today.

Forum

Chilliwack, B.C.

Profile Email Website PM

By: mmud (offline) on Saturday, October 09 2010 @ 04:10 AM EDT  
mmud

Oct 2nd I spotted this adult flying across the freeway as I was checking some other nests.

Oct 4th One of the Kitchen Rd. nest adults coming in for a landing as I was driving by their nest.

Forum

Chilliwack, B.C.

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, October 09 2010 @ 09:24 AM EDT  
JudyB

The perch tree picture is amazing - I can't imagine seeing so many eagles in one place. Nine nests (and counting) - wow! And thanks for providing the map - I was thinking Chilliwack was further north for some reason.

I didn't realize both of the Far Away pair were in the September 28 picture until I clicked it to full size - really lovely pictures! Thanks for sharing "your" eagles with us. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Marg (offline) on Saturday, October 09 2010 @ 10:03 AM EDT  
Marg

Hi mmud, I have enjoyed looking at your photos of the eagles and nests, you certainly have a lot of nests to check. I would love to see that many eagles in one tree!ClappingClapping I do like to see them flying also and it's hard to get those shots as it happens quickly if you are watching them perched in a tree. If we are ever out your way we'll try to visit a nest or two. I love the picture of the eagle sitting proudly with a little white feather floating nearby. How sad that their perch tree is no longer there.Sad

Marg
:hello:

aka sunshinecoast member since Aug22/06

Content Provider
[url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=482309#482309

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile     PM

By: mmud (offline) on Saturday, October 09 2010 @ 05:13 PM EDT  
mmud

When I was taking pics on the 28th, I didn't realize the other was there at first either Judy.
I was so intent on getting pics of the obvious one. It was a nice surprise to see both there.

You definitely need to have luck to get a pic of them flying from a perch Marg. Smile
So many missed opportunities, blurred pics, wrong camera settings, etc....but still enjoyable to watch, even if I don't get a good shot. Whistling

Forum

Chilliwack, B.C.

Profile Email Website PM

By: HikerBikerGram (offline) on Saturday, October 09 2010 @ 08:59 PM EDT  
HikerBikerGram

Congratulations my friend, it is about time! Smile Very informing the map and information and I love your photos of your gorgeous eagles. The collage of the four nests is a great idea. Thanks for starting this thread, I will look forward to more of your great eagle photos and stories. :hello:

Wildlife Photography, Nature Provides It And We Pass It On

Linda/HikerBikerGram

Joined May 12, 2009

"Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Forum

Maryville, Il USA

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 07:29 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate