Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - All Eagle Nests With Ground Observers
 Hastings Street/PNE Nest 2010-2014 - Vancouver
 |  Printable Version
By: gemini (offline) on Thursday, January 14 2010 @ 12:07 AM EST (Read 76874 times)  
gemini

Hastings St./PNE Nest - Corner of E. Hastings St. and Renfrew, Vancouver, BC

This is one of 19 nests that are monitored by the Stanley Park Ecological Society. Since both they, and several HWF members, visit this nest on occasion and take pictures, there will be various photographers contributing to the photos and comments in this thread.

It is a fairly new nest, having been built in 2007 and producing only one fledgling from the two chicks that hatched. Global-TV did a story on this pair because they seemed to be so unique building their nest next to a busy parking lot right across from the PNE (Pacific Northwest Exhibition). Talk about urban eagles with children, adults, vehicles passing by constantly and noisy too!! They are not that far from the Burrard Inlet but actually need not to go that far for branches and grasses as there is a big pond at the PNE in the sanctuary area that is close to the nest.

2008 was a better year for this pair as they successfully raised two fledglings. 2009 saw them successfuly raise one fledgling.

To look back on the discussion and pictures on the old forum, click HERE.

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: iansmith () on Wednesday, February 17 2010 @ 09:35 AM EST  
Anonymous: iansmith

The new forum looks great. (It will take a little while to find all the buttons).

Anyways. Driving home along Hastings around 5:30pm last night. The pair were next to each other in the tree next to the nest tree. (Closer to Hastings.) I guess this is the start of the season. WooHoo! Sorry, no pictures but I'll get back soon.

By: gemini (offline) on Thursday, February 18 2010 @ 12:36 AM EST  
gemini

Thanks for posting that information Ian! Thank You

I have been over there at least 4 times in the last 3 weeks, including at 4:30 today, and haven't seen either one! sigh sign I was beginning to get worried! Last year, it seems just about every time I went to the nest, they were there! But I'm not having much luck this year! :dunno: I'll try again in the next couple of days! Nodding yes

Maybe they sense that the crazy lady with the camera is coming and they take off! Rolling on floor laughing

Meanwhile, here are a couple of pics showing the nest and the surrounding area to start off the new thread! These were taken last lat year about this time. The only difference is the parking lot is full to overflowing right now for the Olympic events! Oh My

Click on image to download

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Friday, February 19 2010 @ 07:22 PM EST  
Anonymous: Jean Dagenais

Gemini
Again thanks for the splendid camer shots it is a joy to see these nests. How have you been? Thanks so much fo helping me your always on hand for that and I appreciate it.
Got myself a new computer it is a lulu. 20" screen wow.It is a "Hewett Packard" Iam fond of their machines as I have had different machines Ie: printer etc. and never ever have trouble,.Now I can see but still make mistakes. It is the 7 version and it is totally awesome. For an old hen it is like having a Cadillac instead of the model t Ford I had,,..
..Please come on my (Singing Bird Lane) anytime you want I would love to have your comments you can put pictures there too :-)... I am however a History nut always looking for something interesting to write about.t...do you like History?Left thumb up Always Jean

By: gemini (offline) on Friday, March 19 2010 @ 02:54 AM EDT  
gemini

Today I went to the PNE/Hastings nest yet again! Hoping against hope that I would see one of the eagles there. Alas, there was nothing but bare trees, with nary an eagle in site! Not having any luck there, I went looking for the Lafarge nest. I drove along Wall street and just as I was getting to the vicinity of where you can see the nest, the road was closed! I stopped at a small park, walked to the fence, but couldn’t see anything! My day wasn’t getting any better!

I decided to head over towards the Burnaby nest, if for nothing more than to see how the construction was going and if you could still see the nest. On the way I had to pass the PNE nest again and there it was! An eagle, in one of the trees!

I quickly manoeuvred my way into the other lane and turned to go into the parking lot. I parked under the tree the eagle was perched in and grabbed my camera.

click twice for bigger!

Relaxing before duty!

Preening

No amount of preening can fix this bad feather day!!

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: gemini (offline) on Friday, March 19 2010 @ 03:17 AM EDT  
gemini

The nest was empty! Or so I thought! I took a few more pics of the perched eagle and suddenly an eagle head appeared in the nest and slowly made its way out to the edge of the nest bowl.

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: gemini (offline) on Friday, March 19 2010 @ 03:30 AM EDT  
gemini

The eagle flew out in a northerly direction towards the PNE grounds. A few seconds later the perched eagle followed.

Off, off and away!

That sort of dashed my hopes that there might be eggs but about two or three minutes later one returned and headed straight for the nest tree, perched for a minute and then settled into the nest completely out of site! (But not before I caught him/her trying to hide!) And there it stayed! What do you think, egg(s) or not??? Could this have been a switch?? I hope so!

The Return!

On duty!

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Friday, March 19 2010 @ 12:55 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Jean Dagenais

Gemeni what a day you had. I firmly believe they have eggs in that nest . The goings on seem to be the same as other eagles.So I hope we are right. Your a wiz at taking pictures Geneni I admire your work. I really like the first picture for it just felt so ( how can I say this) real just as if I was standing there, truly a great picture in my estimation of not only the weather but feelings.....do you know what I mean ( ha) hard to explain. Thanks so much my friend... Jean

All times are EST. The time is now 04:37 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate