Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Other North American Nests with Ground Observers
 Semiahmoo, Washington Eagles
 |  Printable Version
By: edkeagle (offline) on Tuesday, February 09 2010 @ 01:21 AM EST (Read 99163 times)  
edkeagle

This continues the Semiahmoo, Washington, Eagles thread that began in 2008. Semiahmoo is a part of Blaine, Washington, which serves as the border crossing into Canada. Blaine is 120 miles north of Seattle and 30 miles south of Vancouver, B.C. Most of my eagle observations are from the Semiahmoo Spit, a mile-long sand spit that separates Drayton Harbor to the east and Semiahmoo Bay to the west. There are condos, a resort and a marina on the north end of the spit and a county park on the south end of the spit. Eagles are often seen on lone tree snags in the center and both ends of the spit. There are two eagle nests in Semiahmoo, another in nearby Birch Bay, and two across the harbor near downtown Blaine. The Semiahmoo Spit also serves as a wintering area for migratory birds. Photos and more detailed histories of the two Semiahmoo nests can be found in the archived site for this thread in Forum (old) - link.

First you must follow before you lead.

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Wednesday, February 10 2010 @ 01:02 AM EST  
edkeagle

Semiahmoo Spit views: Continuing this new thread gives me an opportunity from the start to provide some overall views of the narrow strip of land where I observe eagles. Access to the spit is by automobile as well as on foot by two trails: the Coast Millennium Trail and the Semiahmoo Public Trail. On 5-7-07 I was able to fly over the spit in a Cessna 182 (first photo). The paved walking path visible in the middle photo also serves as part of the Coast Millennium Trail. Below freezing temperatures in winter cause ice to form in Drayton Harbor (third photo) Click to enlarge photos

Aerial view
Click on image to download
Spring view
Winter view

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Wednesday, February 10 2010 @ 01:48 AM EST  
edkeagle

OK, I know Iím off topic with these posts, but not much happens in Blaine, Wash. Today, 2-10-10, was an exception when the Olympic flame left Canadian soil for the only time as part of the Vancouver Olympics. A college student from Surrey, B.C., was the torch bearer (first photo) and the flame is visible in the middle photo as it approaches the Peace Arch, which serves as a border point between the U.S. and Canada. The Canadian torch bearer crossed into the U.S. and then passed the flame to an American who carried the torch through the Peace Arch entryway back into Canada. Iíve been able to frame the Peace Arch in several wildlife photos from the Semiahmoo Spit, but so far no eagles in the picture with the arch. However, I did see a couple of eagles on the way back from this ceremony so will post them later.

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: HikerBikerGram (offline) on Wednesday, February 10 2010 @ 10:12 AM EST  
HikerBikerGram

Ed, Thanks for the photos of your eagle watching area, how beautiful it is in all seasons. Great photos of the Olympic Torch. The snow here has been very little . We have really lucked out. There was a 3.2 earthquake in Chicago last night, that is about 300 miles north of where I live. I slept through the whole thing. wave

Wildlife Photography, Nature Provides It And We Pass It On

Linda/HikerBikerGram

Joined May 12, 2009

"Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Forum

Maryville, Il USA

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, February 10 2010 @ 07:21 PM EST  
sassyk

waveEd: Great start to your thread in the new forumLeft thumb up It's a beautiful area you live inLeft thumb up That must have been exciting to go up in a Cessna and take that pic of the spitLeft thumb up

So glad you were able to get some photos of the torch; I wonder if the torch bearers had to show their passportsGreen LOL

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Wednesday, February 10 2010 @ 07:27 PM EST  
Anonymous: CAL04

waveEd,

Your Olympic pictures were just thrilling! I have no doubt that one day you WILL get your perfect shot of both an eagle and the Peace Arch together.

By: edkeagle (offline) on Wednesday, February 10 2010 @ 08:29 PM EST  
edkeagle

Linda, Kay and CAL04: Thanks for your comments. Kay: I've sent you a PM. CAL04: Eagles are always in the area of the Peace Arch so I'm not giving up hope. Linda: I heard on the news about the Chicago quake. Unfortunately, we are overdue for a big one somewhere in the Northwest. -- Ed

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Wednesday, February 10 2010 @ 08:33 PM EST  
edkeagle

South end, Drayton Harbor, 2-10-10. Returning home from the Peace Arch ceremony, we spotted two eagles atop trees. .

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:15 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate