Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 CalTrans, Turtle Bay, CA - 2011 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: Pat B (offline) on Wednesday, September 29 2010 @ 07:36 PM EDT (Read 67777 times)  
Pat B

CalTrans Eagle Cam, Turtle Bay, CA - Bald Eagle Cam

http://www.turtlebay.org/eaglecam

This nest has streaming video, and I believe has two cameras (one with a closer view, the other showing more of the tree), though they can only stream one at a time. I don't think there's sound - it's near a busy highway, which might make it hard to hear the eagles over the background noise. The cam uses QuickTime, which works on most computers but not all.

The camera was initially installed by CalTrans (the California Department of Transportation) to make sure that nearby highway construction didn't have a negative impact on the eagle nest. Back in the fall of 2007, Caltrans had tried to discourage the eagles from nesting so near the planned highway project by placing a large cone in their nest, but the eagles were not easily discouraged (read the story here)) - and public sentiment favored the eagles - so CalTrans decided to work with the eagles and the public, installing a camera to make sure they weren't disrupting the nesting behavior - and making it available to the public. The construction project is now completed, and we're hoping the camera will be adopted by a local organization so we can continue to watch this wonderful eagle family.

The pair, named Liberty (F) and Patriot (M), successfully raised two eaglets in 2008, and three eaglets in 2009 and 2010.

2010-2011 Season:

• adults return: one (Patriot?) October 9; second eagle seen October 15 but didn't look like Liberty so possibly passing through; Liberty seen October 25
  • cam on line:
  • eggs laid: February 12, 4:49 pm; February 15, 4:45 pm
  • hatched: March 21, 10:43 am (37 days); March 24, 11:15 am (37 days)
  • nicknamed: Stormy and Windy
  • fledged: June 19 (90 days, almost 13 weeks); June 10 (just over 11 weeks)
  • last seen in area: both fledglings July 4; one fledgling (probably #2/Windy) July 15; adults July 24

2010 s'caps by eagleboy and eaglewoman

Link to last year's thread for this nest

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Wednesday, September 29 2010 @ 07:37 PM EDT  
Pat B

Reserved

I suspect that a lot of this info needs changing - please let me know! Grin

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: itsgrama (offline) on Friday, October 01 2010 @ 08:46 PM EDT  
itsgrama

I'm looking forward to a new season for our TurtleBay, aka Caltrans Eagle family. Last I heard Turtlebay will be taking over operation of the cams. I hope that we will still have two cameras. They don't plan to have them online until Dec. 1st. I understand that they have people working on getting the cams ready for the season either as I write this or soon.. I'm surprised no one has updated your info. When you say '2009' season was that the one where they hatched in 2010? If so, then no correction is needed. And, hopefully the regulars on this forum will be showing up with their input and observations real soon. They are the ones who post the pix and videos and pertinent spotting info.Very Happy WHERE THE HECK ARE U GUYS???:dunno:

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, October 02 2010 @ 09:32 PM EDT  
JudyB

Hi, itsgrama! Thanks for the local update - and December will be here sooner than we expect!

I'm a bit swamped with other things, so PEB volunteered to get some of the threads set up. I'll probably go through and do a bit of updating here and there - like mentioning that they successfully fledged three chicks in both 2009 and 2010! Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Saturday, October 09 2010 @ 01:28 AM EDT  
eaglewoman

wave Greetings itsgrama and JudyB!
Sorry I haven't gotten back into the swing of things yet, I've been a bit busy with school and family these past few months.
But, I haven't forgotten about the forum, nor our beautiful pair of eagles, Patriot & Liberty. Just last week we started walking the trails down near the nest for the first time since July! (We spend most of the summer and early Fall out at Whiskeytown Lake, too hot for the trails in town!)

As I was driving by the nest on Thursday morning, I noticed a Tree Climber standing in the nest!?! I am still trying to figure out who sent him up, Caltrans or Turtle Bay, and what he was working on up there?

Later that day, my husband and I spotted one of the eagles in the nest at around 6:30 pmSitting eagle! I believe it was Patriot because I did not see the notch in the collar that Liberty has. I thought this was a bit early for the eagles to be back at the nest, so I looked back at the archived forum to see when we spotted them last year. It turns out that we saw them for the first time on October 12th in the nest last year. But, if you remember, it turned out to be Patriot and an Intruder Female, and not Liberty. Liberty did not make her return until October 28th!

So we are off and running already folks, so stay tuned for more posts and pics!
Here's to another great year of eagle watching at the Turtle Bay Nest...

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: eagletwatcher () on Saturday, October 09 2010 @ 01:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous: eagletwatcher

howdy howdy howdy! neat, i made it to the new forums!!

i biked around the eagle loop thursday mid day looking for patriot & liberty,,,no luck.

great to know one has returned! nest restorations coming soon!!

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Saturday, October 09 2010 @ 04:25 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

Very Happy Also wanted to congratulate Caltrans on the completion of their Dana to Downtown Project, 8 months ahead of schedule to boot!!! They did an amazing job on this project, and Patriot and Liberty did not seem to mind the noise and commotion at all. Throughout the project, they worked diligently themselves and brought 8 new eagles into the world.

On Sept 28th, I attended their celebration on the completion of the project, which by the way, includes a gorgeous bike and pedestrian path along the widened bridge. I took some pictures at the Celebration Ceremony, which unfortunately occurred during a heat spell we were having in Redding, so the temps reached 105 degrees that dayPhew
Nevertheless, Caltrans acknowledged many who contributed to the success of the project, and did not forget to mention the true heroes of the day, our beloved pair of eagles, Patriot & Liberty.
Here are some photos of the celebration, and some shots of the bike path and the sign they put up to help protect the eagles. This new trail does get extremely close to the eagle's nest, which has raised some concerns for myself and others I have spoken to. But, hopefully, as in the past, these eagles will not be bothered by this new pedestrian and bike traffic, and continue to nest and raise their young here for many years to come.
Click on image to download

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Saturday, October 09 2010 @ 04:39 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

And, here's a shot I took from the pedestrian/bike path which shows you how close photographers can get to this nest. I shot it through my spotting scope using my older camera, and I couldn't believe how close I could get! I haven't even tried my new camera without the scope yet!

:hello:Welcome back eagletwatcher, glad you found your way here! Bet you're lovin' that new bike trail!love

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 07:47 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate