Forum Index > Other Birds and Wildlife > Wildlife on the Trails, in Parks & Natural Areas
 Pacific Northwest Trails and Wildlife
 |  Printable Version
By: edkeagle (offline) on Monday, February 08 2010 @ 08:41 PM EST (Read 88833 times)  
edkeagle

This continues the Forum (old) thread that began in May 2009 (link). This thread is dedicated to wildlife photography on hiking trails in the Pacific Northwest to include Washington State and British Columbia. Trails can be in city, county. state, provincial or national parks. Please give a short description of the trail, noting location, length and degree of difficulty. Readers are also encouraged to use a search engine such as Google to find out more details if they plan to hike the trail. Two very important things to keep in mind: Never hike alone and always let someone know where you are going and when you are expected to return.

First you must follow before you lead.

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Tuesday, February 09 2010 @ 01:55 AM EST  
sassyk

waveEd: Great, you made it here to the new forumClapping Now we can look forward to seeing more of your fantastic photos of the wildlife in your areaLeft thumb up

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: PacNorWest (offline) on Tuesday, February 09 2010 @ 02:07 PM EST  
PacNorWest

Hi Folks * wave

These three pictures were taken last week in Skagit Valley, Washington State. All were made on the Padilla Bay Shore trail.
This is a 2.25 mile {one way} trail near Bayview, Washington. It is easy and flat with lots of salt water views and bird life.

Great Blue Heron * click bigger
Click on image to download

Great Blue Heron

Pintail

Doug
Bellingham, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: PacNorWest (offline) on Tuesday, February 09 2010 @ 06:50 PM EST  
PacNorWest

This Swan was photographed yesterday in the Edison * Bayview area of Washington State.

Trumpeter Swan * click bigger

Doug
Bellingham, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Tuesday, February 09 2010 @ 09:12 PM EST  
edkeagle

Hello Kay and PacNW: Good to hear from both of you. Enjoyed PNW's pixs of herons and trumpeters. Padilla Bay is on my short list of wildlife areas to get to before the mountain trails open after the snow melts. PACNW: Have you been to the Johnson Bay Swan Reserve northeast of Mount Vernon? We were there earlier in the week, and I'll post some photos later. There were between 200-300 trumpeters in the reserve. I'm also seeing the first of the snow geese at Fir Island. By March, there will be thousands there, and it always makes for great pixs. -- Ed

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: PacNorWest (offline) on Wednesday, February 10 2010 @ 12:49 AM EST  
PacNorWest

Hi Ed ....... Yes, I visited the Johnson DeBay Swan Reserve a couple weeks ago. There were many swans but it was raining and not good for photography. Swans are in abundance in Western Whatcom County as well. I'll be visiting Fir Island in the next week or two, preferably on a bright day. Cheers !

Doug
Bellingham, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Thursday, February 11 2010 @ 04:02 PM EST  
edkeagle

Johnson DeBay Swan Reserve, Mount Vernon, Wash., 2-4-10. I estimate about 100 Trumpeter Swans were in several fields around the reserve, eating the waste crop of corn. There is a gravel parking lot and a couple of foot paths to walk back into the reserve. A state fish and wildlife use permit, available at stores selling hunting and fishing licenses, is required to park. This is a very easy hike, although this time of year the paths are muddy. Directions: Take College Way exit from I-5 in Mount Vernon and go east. Go to LaVenture and turn left at light by Skagit Valley Community College. Follow this road for about five miles and it drops into the valley, becoming Francis Road on the downhill. Look for the sign (see first post) and you’re there. Photos are clickable.

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Thursday, February 11 2010 @ 04:04 PM EST  
edkeagle

Swan Reserve, continued, 2-4-10.

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:38 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate