Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Central Maine - 2011 - Bald Eagle cam
 |  Printable Version
By: Pat B (offline) on Tuesday, September 28 2010 @ 10:03 AM EDT (Read 4672 times)  
Pat B

Central Maine - Bald Eagle Cam 2011

http://www.briloon.org/watching-wildlife/eagle-cam2.php
http://www.briloon.org/watching-wildlif ... -live2.php

Link to Maine Eagle Cam Forum: http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/viewf ... forum=tdbc
Link to BioDiversity Research Institute's online community:
http://briloon.ning.com/

Plans for watching this pair in 2011 are very much up in the air - or perhaps more literally down on the ground - the nest tree fell over in early November during a major rain/wind storm. The eagles are fine, and there is time for them to rebuild - but several other large trees also went down as the ground became so saturated with the driving rain that the roots couldn't hold the trees upright against the gale force winds. Last I knew (as of December 2010), the eagles are still being seen in the area, but there have not been any reports of nest construction (which might mean that they're waiting until spring or taking a year off - or that the landowners haven't discovered the beginnings of a nest in the area). It's my understanding that BRI would like to feature this cam in 2011 - if the eagles nest in a place where they can install a cam without disrupting the eagles.

Until November 7, 2010, there are two cams, one looking at the nest from the side, and the other over the nest looking in. Both have night vision and constant 15-second refresh views, although only one was working during the 2010 nesting season. There is the potential for streaming one of the cams, and they will try again to get that online for 2011. I believe BRI has a replacement for the wide-angle cam that had not yet been installed so it wasn't damaged; the close-up cam we watched in 2010 was damaged in the fall, as was the building holding some of their computer equipment; I haven't seen any report on what can be repaired or if they have funds to cover the cost of repairs.

The nest is located in central Maine, and according to BioDiversity Research Institute (BRI), it has been occupied every year since 2001 (and the territory has been used at least on and off for the last 30 or more years). The nest was about 70 feet up a white pine tree, and was about 6 feet high and 8 feet across the top when the tree fell over. 2009 was the first year there was a cam on the nest, and the pair fledged two eaglets. They also successfully raised two eaglets in 2010.

Based on past experience, look for eggs in late March, chicks in early May, and fledging in early July.

2010-2011 Season:

• sad news: The nest tree was blown down in a major wind/rain storm November 7, 2010
  • ...hopefully... If we hear that they've begun work on a new nest, we'll update this post.
  • egg(s) laid:
  • hatched:
  • fledged:

(Information from BioDiversity Research Institute; 2010 screen cap by JudyB)

Link to last year's thread for this nest

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Tuesday, September 28 2010 @ 10:04 AM EDT  
Pat B

Reserved

Please let me know if the links or information needs updating.

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, November 21 2010 @ 12:24 PM EST  
JudyB

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Email from Patrick at BioDiversity Research Institute:

A message from Patrick C. Keenan to all members of Eaglecam2 on BioDiversity Research Institute!

Friends of Eaglecam2,

I am writing with tragic news. On Sunday night sometime after 12:31 am the large white pine tree which held aloft the eagles nest at BRIeaglecam2 fell over. The strong winds and rain of the night caused the root ball of the tree to pull from the ground. Aside from placing the nest firmly on the ground, the nearest structure which housed our equipment was also damaged.

It is important to keep in perspective that while this is indeed a sad affair this nest was home to eagles since the late 60's (at least). I have been told that all good things must come to an end and, even with this knowledge, it is always sad when that time comes.

As you know I am amid a repair at Eaglecam1 later this week and will be assisting with cleanup on site of eaglecam2. This is an especially untimely departure for this nest as I learned last week that Fairpoint would be coming online with high speed internet within several months...probably before next breeding season. Who knows, maybe the eagles will choose to nest nearby.

As for the eagles, well, this is a hardship they are built to overcome and I hope that we can all have faith in that! I will keep you updated as I know more but wanted to let you know the status. I realize that this is sad news.

I'll keep in touch.

All the best,
Patrick Keenan
BioDiversity Research Institute

Visit Eaglecam2 at:
http://briloon.ning.com/groups/group/sh ... _mes_group

At least it didn't happen during the nesting season - and the eagles will have plenty of time to build a new nest before spring.

Hugs to everyone who has been following this nest these past two years.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, November 21 2010 @ 12:24 PM EST  
JudyB

Posted by Patrick of BioDiversity Research Institute on November 16 (http://briloon.ning.com/group/eaglecam2):

Hi all,
Just wanted to give a report about a visit to the eaglecam site on Sunday. I had a chance to dissect much of the eagles nest and found many remains of prey--mainly fish jaws, vertebra, and the feathers of many ducks, a pheasant, and a great blue heron! Still more to sort through.

On a happy note, although I did not see any eagles soaring. I did speak to a neighbor who had seen two eagles perching in nearby pines in what could be considered typical perch spots for the pair. I feel very confidant in this report and it is great to have confirmation of the eagles presence in the area.

This photo shows the nest tree in horizontal form. Thanks Bill Hanson for this great photo...more to come!

Also just got another report that the eagles were near the former nest site this morning.

All the best,
Patrick

Notice my hat in the nest debris for scale. This nest was over six feet deep and roughly 8 feet wide at the top.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Marg (offline) on Monday, November 22 2010 @ 09:45 AM EST  
Marg

Judyb was sorry to read about losing the BRIeaglecam2 nest.Sad

Marg

aka sunshinecoast member since Aug22/06

Content Provider
[url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=482309#482309

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, September 19 2011 @ 06:42 PM EDT  
JudyB

I'm closing this thread and moving it to the archives. If we get updates about this pair, I'll include them on one of the other Maine threads.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 09:03 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate