Forum Index > Conservation  > Planet Earth
 Oil and Gas and Planet Earth
 |  Printable Version
By: richardpitt (offline) on Friday, September 24 2010 @ 09:36 PM EDT (Read 1946 times)  
richardpitt

A friend of mine lives in Louisiana, on the Gulf of Mexico, and sent me this link to a story about a news reporter trying to find out what is going on with the oil that washed up on the beaches from the Deepwater Horizon (BP) oil spill.

For whatever reason, the reporter was threatened by government officials each time he tried to find out what was below 6 inches from the top of the sand.

This does not give me good feelings about how the US government and various local and regional bodies are dealing with this huge problem. Any time information is stifled, the result is not good for the general public.

One of the best methods for at least slowing, if not stopping, the long-term damage to our environment from anything: government, private individuals, corporations, is to identify and enforce the accounting for all "externalities" that are affected by any action taken. If nothing else, this is IMHO the primary function of government - the protection of the commons. The protection of things that are owned by us all from damage and misuse by a minority.

It seems that some (all?) government does not see this as their responsibility. They instead seem to think that protecting a company from taking full responsibility for its actions is a better idea. Nope, sorry. My watching wildlife deal with the weak and the "innocent" has hardened me toward such actions.

Yes, if BP "goes down" there will be a lot of people whose investments will lose money; some of them to the point where they'll have no pensions. OK - so next time they'll learn to diversify. I don't have a pension because of mistakes I made in my past, what makes them better than me?

Yes, if BP "goes down" there will be upheaval in the oil and gas industry - but maybe the other companies will recognize that it is in their best interests to do a better job that BP did.

Yes, some heads should likely roll at whatever "watchdog" government and industry agencies were supposed to be overseeing the activities at the well. Maybe the next batch of people will do a better job.

Life is tough - get over it.

In the mean time don't cover up the problem. It won't go away. I won't go away, we won't go away. The public has a tool in the internet that gives us leverage and allows us to find and learn and tell and document the things that government and bureaucracy do. Some jurisdictions understand this and have accepted it and moved on with their lives. Some have not yet - but all will over time.

Ask questions. Report answers. Report non-answers. Take names, dates, situations.

If you see something you don't like, tell others. Tell them here. Take video and post it to YouTube. Take pictures. If you're hassled, take notes, even mental ones, and persevere - and report later.

Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

One other thing - don't make stuff up. The web will find out. Reputation is all that separates one person from another on this internet.

richard

Executive Director:
Taking HWF to the next level

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 08:59 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

Here's another article on the Gulf oil spill 'aftermath'. I use the word aftermath only because the flow of oil is over. I supect we are still in the on going disaster stage and will be for some time.

I love learning new words... read on to learn what spatfall is!

Crunch time ahead for Gulf oyster fisheries

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Monday, September 27 2010 @ 10:28 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

An admission of 'human error' Sort of.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... spill.html

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Wednesday, September 29 2010 @ 08:53 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

When it hits this close to home it begins to get very very scary....

Canada's Great Bear Rainforest

Can a bunch of green snappers save the Great Bear?

The International League of Conservation Photographers hopes so.

For a few weeks now, its snappers have been deploying themselves across Canada's Great Bear Rainforest, documenting its wild nature and the people who live in, and sometimes off, the forest.

I had the privilege of visiting the Great Bear, on the coast of British Columbia, about four years ago, for a radio series on sustainable forestry.

It is vast, still, full of understated life; simply, one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. "Privilege"? Absolutely.

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Thursday, October 28 2010 @ 07:18 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

BBC News
28 October 2010 Last updated at 16:45 ET

BP oil disaster: Pre-spill tests 'showed cement flaw'
The explosion killed 11 workers and ultimately caused millions of gallons of oil to leak into the Gulf
The firms drilling a BP Gulf of Mexico oil well had tests showing cement used to seal it before it blew out was unstable, US investigators have found.

The findings conflict with statements by US oil contractor Halliburton, which supplied the cement and has said tests showed it was stable.

But a presidential panel on the disaster found that three tests prior to the blowout showed the opposite.

The 20 April rig explosion killed 11 workers and caused a massive oil leak.

read More Here : BBC News

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Sunday, November 21 2010 @ 01:27 AM EST  
jwnix

I have just discovered this thread and this topic being discussed here!!!! WONDERFUL!!! It needs to be broadcast around the world over and over again..... yes, it is still ongoing disasterous effects on the coast/wildlife/humans.....

I've not heard of 'spatfall' and apparently its a word from down here? cannot open the article without subscribing to their organization......
thanks for keeping it in foreground here.....
Josephine

Quote by: terrytvgal

Here's another article on the Gulf oil spill 'aftermath'. I use the word aftermath only because the flow of oil is over. I supect we are still in the on going disaster stage and will be for some time.

I love learning new words... read on to learn what spatfall is!

Crunch time ahead for Gulf oyster fisheries

jwnix
Black Bear Conservation Coalition www.bbcc.org

Forum

Profile     PM

By: jwnix (offline) on Sunday, November 21 2010 @ 01:33 AM EST  
jwnix

Thanks Richard..... I just saw you posted information here about the calamity down here......

no, one cannot believe everything in the news!! and now BP is hiring local business people to advertise how BP helped them!!! appalling doesn't even touch the surface of how corrupt the news coming out about this is. and sadly, a great majority of citizens are of the mindset that since the oil is no longer gushing into the gulf, the problems have been resolved.
not so.

I also want to mention here that I saw Prince Charles' documentary last night, HARMONY.....it has some lovely footage of the canadian rainforest and addresses the issues of the isolation of the bear colony and the battles with lumber companies. It is indeed incumbent upon us as citizens of the planet to pay attention and speak up!!!
Seems HARMONY is also a book by Prince Charles.

jwnix
Black Bear Conservation Coalition www.bbcc.org

Forum

Profile     PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Thursday, December 02 2010 @ 04:45 PM EST  
Pat B

Oil rig explodes burning three workers

By staff writers From: NewsCore
December 02, 2010 5:40AM

AN oil rig exploded overnight in a Louisiana bayou just north of the Gulf of Mexico, but authorities said it appeared that any release of oil or gas was limited.

Three workers were sent to hospital with burns after the 10am local time incident in Bayou Perot, below the tiny town of Jean Lafitte south of New Orleans.

Helicopters surveyed the scene shortly after the explosion and found that the fire was out and no oil or gas was visible, Parish President John F. Young Jr said.

The US Coast Guard scrambled a helicopter and aircraft to survey the damage surrounding the "workover rig", Petty Officer Thomas Blue said.

Workers were not actively drilling at the time of the explosion, he said.

"There are no reports of any pollution," Officer Blue said.

Read the Article Here

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 05:42 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate