Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Delta #2 Nest Camera Archives
 Delta 2 ~ 2011 Bald Eagle Nest Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, September 23 2010 @ 10:22 AM EDT (Read 530959 times)  
jkr

Delta 2 ~ Bald Eagle Nest

This nest is another of our 3 nests located in Delta, BC -- not to be confused with our DeltaOWL or the previous Delta 1 camera.

Two cameras have been installed in this tree --- one with night vision, the other a PTZ; unfortunately the PTZ stopped moving and only transmitted an image very similar to the fixed cam, but upside down, so it wasn't used.

Discussion, Observation, Screenshots & Videos -- Delta 2 Bald Eagle Nest.

NOTE:
This thread is for Discussion, Observations, Screenshots & Videos solely related to actions / events / occurrences at the Delta 2 nest camera

Screenshots and photos and/or links to videos are welcome in this thread as part of the discussion. We welcome all screenshots and videos of the Delta 2 nest captured via the webcams.

As a courtesy to viewers with slower internet connections, please limit the pictures in each post to no more than a total of 150,000 bytes (4 to 6 average screenshots), and please do not post animations (though it's fine to post a link to them).

2010-2011 Season:

FIRST EGG.....................3rd March 2011, morning.............Hatched April 11th at approx 2:00 p.m.
SECOND EGG................6th March 2011, morning........... Hatched April 12th before daylight.

FLEDGES

June 19, 2011 Oreo's Fall
At sometime in the wee hours of Sunday June 19, Oreo fell from the nest. Member Raining22 posted a s'cap at 5:35am showing only 1 young eagle on the nest. O.W.L. was contacted and Oreo was rescued in good condition. As Bev Day reported... It seemed as if she was sitting beneath the tree waiting for them to arrive.
Oreo will remain in care at O.W.L. until she is ready to fledge.

First Post to show Oreo is not on the Nest

Link to the O.W.L. thread to read updates on Oreo

JET, finally fledged on July 16th as confirmed by Bev Day who spotted her sitting in a hydro tower west of the nest. (Link to where people were discovering she was not in the nest tree)

OREO was released from OWL on July 21, 2011 at 1:00 p.m.
forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=246887

Last sight, or sound, of the eagles for the season --- August 3rd.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Wednesday, February 02 2011 @ 12:51 PM EST  
Pat B

Delta 2 ~ Bald Eagle Nest

This nest is another of our 3 nests located in Delta, BC -- not to be confused with our Delta OWL or the previous Delta 1 camera.

About Delta-2 - From David Hancock

This nest is located on the property of JudyD. one of the first teachers to talk about our eagles in her classroom at Beach Grove Elementary. Two years after she started these discussions, a pair of eagles returned to the old nest on her property and have re-established themselves. What teacher has an eagles' nest 150 feet outside her kitchen!

This pair's territory, which I have been following since the late 1990's, became our first pair to move to a 140 foot high tension power pole and establish a nest and raise young in this region. Historically the nest suffered great difficulties, annually falling out of the tower and the young often falling and dying. A few years later, they moved to an adjacent tower and had more success. However, last year they abandoned the second tower and moved back to the tree nest they now occupy.

In the intervening years the site was re-occupied by red-tailed hawks for a few years and, after the red-tail chicks were killed and eaten by the eagles in 2006, I thought someone, red-tail or eagle, would occupy the site in 2007 so I placed two cams in the nest that 2006 fall. No one lived in the site for the next two years so we removed the cams in the fall of 2009 and used them elsewhere. As stated, the eagles returned in 2010 and reared young.

Why the birds abandoned their successful tower I am not certain, but I suspect it was probably due to the high construction activity beside the tower.

So, the adults reared two young in the summer of 2010 and after fledging and departing the region on their fall migration, we again placed two cams in the nest. One cam is a fixed focus cam to give a wide angle perspective of the nest. The other cam is an Axis PTZ 18 power cam that can be controlled as to its close-up or wide angle perspective.

JudyD, the resident teacher and nest coordinator, will be back shortly, after some absence from the area and will lead discussions on this interesting pair.

I have only briefly touched on their history. Of course, I do not know the true history of these eagles. Have the pair remained the same, or has one or the other been replaced by another mate over the nearly 15 years I have followed this territory? What I do know is that a pair have consistently defended the territory and repeatedly used this nest tree and both nearby towers as hunting, feeding and nesting perches over these years.

Another interesting piece of background is that they were one of the first pairs ever to have a cam placed in their nest - back years before 2006 when we started to broadcast the Hornby Island and Sidney nests. A young lad, wishing to give his grandmother an intimate view of the eagles nesting in her back yard placed a small $30 cam in the tree beside the nest, hard wired the cam to his grandmother's TV and, voilą, grandma had an eagle in her kitchen. Well not quite.

The problem was that the grandson placed the cam in the nest after the first egg was laid, and the pair abandoned the site as of that day. The grandmother, whom I got to know quite well, was devastated. Nothing nested in the tree for 3 years when red-tails, who had been nesting there in previous years, returned. Then in 2006 the eagles ate the young red-tails in a very noisy attack witnessed by the new residents, JudyD and her husband, who had just moved in.

Once we get to follow this pair more intently we may pin down some more details.

David Hancock

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Wednesday, February 02 2011 @ 12:54 PM EST  
Pat B

Here is a map, showing the relative positions of the HWF nests around Vancouver.

Click for a bigger image.

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Wednesday, February 16 2011 @ 11:05 PM EST  
richardpitt

The Delta 2 Close-up camera is now online. Unfortunately we can't control the PTZ camera and it is not aimed very well. If/when there is activity in this camera (which is pointed mostly at the tree trunk and has an upside-down view) we'll turn it on, but for now we'll reserve it and hopefully be able to resurrect it after the season for next year.

The camera that IS working is also the night-vision one, so we should have excellent views as this couple lay and incubate their eggs, then raise their young. The camera topic will get stories and updates, and contains the live camera view.
Click on image to download

Executive Director:
Taking HWF to the next level

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Thursday, February 17 2011 @ 09:32 AM EST  
soph9

out of the loop or not paying attention...nice to see yet another cam go live!

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, February 17 2011 @ 09:38 AM EST  
JudyB

Richard and Ken got everything up and running late last night - haven't thought to post an announcement, though that sounds like a good idea. It's also not on the Live Cams page yet - that will either happen on my lunch break or when I get home tonight. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, February 17 2011 @ 11:05 AM EST  
jkr

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2011

8:03 a.m
We have an adult on the nest eating. I can't make out what the prey item is but it's a fair size.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, February 17 2011 @ 11:07 AM EST  
JudyB

I had been wondering how big the nest was - adding an eagle does help with the perspective!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 09:04 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate