Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - All Eagle Nests With Ground Observers
 Port Moody, PCT Ground Observers 2010-2011
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, September 23 2010 @ 09:36 AM EDT (Read 45809 times)  
jkr

This thread is designated for reports from those who live near and regularly visit this nest.

Our own member urban Eagle has been reporting on this nest since before the cameras were installed. He also donated his crane experience while having the cameras installed Very Happy
His previous reports on this nest can be found at forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=59146

We are looking forward to the latest updates and photos from everyone who makes a visit to this nest.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: urban Eagle (offline) on Wednesday, September 29 2010 @ 07:55 PM EDT  
urban Eagle

Hello Freinds of this nest, Thought I would check in To say Welcome and thank you jkr wave and fellow membersThank You
Looks like I might not be the only one whatching this nest.We have a new member today Very Happy thats been whatching for 4yrs
Can't wait to see what kind of background they might be able to addTitter
It;s going to be an exciting season with all the new cam's and I look forward to reporting on this nest:Left thumb up
Larry/urban Eagle

May the Sun be at your back,and an Eagle in front of your lens.
Forum

Port Moody

Profile Email   PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Wednesday, September 29 2010 @ 08:27 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

Quote by: urban Eagle

Hello Freinds of this nest, Thought I would check in To say Welcome and thank you jkr wave and fellow membersThank You
Looks like I might not be the only one whatching this nest.We have a new member today Very Happy thats been whatching for 4yrs
Can't wait to see what kind of background they might be able to addTitter
It;s going to be an exciting season with all the new cam's and I look forward to reporting on this nest:Left thumb up
Larry/urban Eagle

Hi Larry! i hope our new member will have lots of good background for us

here is another great news article in a local paper.

Tri-City News

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Thursday, September 30 2010 @ 11:40 AM EDT  
Pat B

Thank you for that link, Terry
I'm copying it to here - so I can send it to our Home page! Grin

Eagle cam setup at PCT

By Gary McKenna - The Tri-City News
Published: September 28, 2010 2:00 PM

An eagle has called a nest at Pacific Coast Terminals home since the beginning of the summer.
SUBMITTED PHOTO

A large bald eagle that has called the Port Moody waterfront home for several years will soon be available for viewing on a computer screen near you.

Its nest, which is located near the security guard booth at Pacific Coast Terminals, will be monitored by two webcams that will broadcast a live streaming high-definition video feed on the internet.

David Hancock, chair of the Hancock Wildlife Foundation, said the video feed is one of several operated by his organization, which are used to educate the public about the natural environment.

“We are trying to draw people’s attention to how we as a society live with wildlife,” he said. “The eagle is a good indicator species. If they can do well, they are kind of a statement that maybe not all is lost.”

The 72-year-old Hancock climbed the 29 m tree to install the camera last Tuesday, at a time of year when he knew the eagle would not be around. He expects many of the birds will be returning to their nests shortly.

The live images will give both the public and researchers a broader understanding of how an eagle lives. Hancock said biologists who are not able to get out to the wild or are working in other parts of the world will stand to benefit from the cameras.

But alerting the public to nature and environmental issues is the main goal, and Hancock said he has reached more people with the internet cameras than he has in years of lecturing and documentary film-making.

“You can reach people in a way that you have never been able to do before,” he said. “The challenge is to perk their interest and convert them into environmental stewards.”

Hancock launched the effort in 2006 when he set up a camera on Vancouver Island. Within a month, he had millions of people from around the world observing the feed and commenting on what was happening with the eagle and its family.

The cost of bandwidth was an early hurdle to the organization’s efforts but Richard Pitt, a director and webmaster with the foundation, said changes in the technology have made it easier and cheaper to operate the cameras. Pacific Coast Terminals paid the $12,500 cost of the camera and its installation, contributions Pitt said are essential to the project.

Today, the PCT camera is one of several that has been operated by the foundation, in locations such as Sidney, White Rock and at the Lafarge cement plant in Vancouver — and more are expected.

Pitt said he expects the camera feed to go live in the next three weeks.

• To see the online feeds or to find more information on the Hancock Wildlife Foundation go to www.hancockwildlife.org.

gmckenna@tricitynews.com

Link to the Article

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Monday, October 04 2010 @ 07:47 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

I was looking at the PCT website today and discovered they have a webcam that refreshes every 30seconds. it looks out over the water so that if a sulphur ship is docked people can watch it

It will give people a general idea of the location... and who knows what a lucky watcher might see!

PCT webcam

Click on image to download

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Wednesday, October 06 2010 @ 11:22 AM EDT  
Pat B

Quote by: terrytvgal

I was looking at the PCT website today and discovered they have a webcam that refreshes every 30seconds. it looks out over the water so that if a sulphur ship is docked people can watch it

It will give people a general idea of the location... and who knows what a lucky watcher might see!

PCT webcam

Thank you for that, Terry!
I have that booked into favourites Grin

What a nice view!! Grin

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: urban Eagle (offline) on Saturday, October 09 2010 @ 06:33 PM EDT  
urban Eagle

Hi Terry and freinds of this nest...
Thanks for the link to PCT web cam Very Happy That little dock you see is used a lot by the PM Eagles and your right you never know what a veiwer might seeSitting eagle
I plan to get some pic's this season of them on there dock so stay tunedGrin
Larry/urban Eagle

Forum

Port Moody

Profile Email   PM

By: urban Eagle (offline) on Monday, October 11 2010 @ 03:20 PM EDT  
urban Eagle

Hi Freinds of this Nest, Well the cam's aren't on yet ( soon I'm told) and with so many of are adults coming Home Very Happy
(sidney,lafarge) I figured I better take a lookWooh
Should have been a little more camera ready ,as I made my way thru the brush Heading for the beach(like a Bull Mouse) A flock of at least 80 to 100 Geese of all ages flew off from the marshey grassland of the inlet.Was amazing to whatch Smile
Still no sign of the PM eagles ,leaves are falling and looks like well have a good sight line from here all season( a little branch clearying helped...opps I darn machinesIt Wasn't Me)
Pic #1 The tides in so not much of the sand bar
Just need some Eagles in itTitter
And this 3rd shot well I upgraded my camera Body a little so hopefully will be able to bring us some better Pic'sLeft thumb up
The grassy marshland in the background is where all the Geese flew off fromIt Wasn't Me
Larry/urban Eagle

Forum

Port Moody

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 03:17 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate