Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Port Moody, BC ~ Pacific Coast Terminals ~ Bald Eagle Nest
 Discussion, Observation, Screenshots & Videos -- Port Moody PCT Bald Eagle Nest.
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, September 23 2010 @ 09:22 AM EDT (Read 10765 times)  
jkr

Port Moody PCT Eagle Nest Cam

Click on image to download

This nest is located at Pacific Coast Terminals in Port Moody, BC.
Two Axis 1346E fixed-focus high-definition cameras have been aimed at the eagle nest in a grove of cotton wood trees near the gate/guard facility.
There are infrared lights which the eagles cannot see nor detect, only the cameras can.

Discussion, Observation, Screenshots & Videos -- Port Moody PCT Bald Eagle Nest.

NOTE:
This thread is for Discussion, Observations, Screenshots & Videos solely related to actions / events / occurrences at the Port Moody PCT Nest

Screenshots and photos and/or links to videos are welcome in this thread as part of the discussion. We welcome all screenshots and videos of the Port Moody PCT Nest captured via the webcams.

As a courtesy to viewers with slower internet connections, please limit the pictures in each post to no more than a total of 150,000 bytes (4 to 6 average screenshots), and please do not post animations (though it's fine to post a link to them).

Photo courtesy of our HWF member urban Eagle

Here is a map showing the relative positions of the Vanvouver area cams.

Click for a larger view.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, November 27 2010 @ 02:52 PM EST  
JudyB

As a bit of an update, there's now only one cam at this nest - the side view cam fell victim to one of the fall storms. Everything looks OK, so probably a wire came loose - but unfortunately we won't be able to have someone go up into the tree until late next summer to fix it.

The other interesting development - which isn't doing much for our viewing of the eagles - is that the eagles are hard at work on a new nest. This nest looks in pretty good shape - so there's probably a 50-50 chance that they'll switch back here and do a quick nestoration and lay their eggs here - but it's also possible that they'll use the new nest. The local observers have been in touch with David Hancock, and they are looking at options for adding a cam with a strong zoom to provide at least a general view of the new nest if they decide to use it. But that will depend on their finding the funding to add another camera and wiring, and finding a location that is far enough away from the nest that a camera could be installed without interfering with the eagles but close enough that you could still see that there are eagles there.

I've been watching for a while today, and saw a squirrel wander by and various birds fly by in the background (none I could identify as eagles) - but no visits to the nest. Here's a pic, mostly so we can see if any of the sticks are moved.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: gemini (offline) on Sunday, November 28 2010 @ 04:31 AM EST  
gemini

It looks a little foggy here tonight!

1:24 am
Great night view! If Ma and Pa decide to use this nest, we will have a real "close up and personal" view day and night!! (I think I can live without the second cam, Judy!)

(click for bigger)

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: beans (offline) on Monday, November 29 2010 @ 06:11 PM EST  
beans

Hope to see the eagles grace this nest Smile

Jean

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, December 03 2010 @ 11:13 AM EST  
JudyB

Well, it's not an eagle - but it's nice to see some sort of action here:

Seeing the squirrel on the branch doesn't necessarily mean the eagles aren't around - there are some pretty brave (or foolish) squirrels in the world. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, December 03 2010 @ 05:26 PM EST  
JudyB

The nest is lovely in the afternoon sun:

A half hour later, around 3:05 pm

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, January 01 2011 @ 01:08 PM EST  
JudyB

Our friend the squirrel is back.

Knowing that urban Eagle and sawrat have occasionally seen the eagles perching in the old nest tree, I've been trying to check in occasionally to see if I can catch one of them in the nest. No luck so far, I'm afraid - the little squirrel is as good as it gets, at least so far. It's a lovely view, so I hope we will see a little action here, even if they decide to use the new nest.

Added -
I included the time stamp so I didn't have to do the math of converting from my time zone - but just realized that it's out of sync today. Time is actually a bit after 10 am pacific time.

10:23 am
Squirrel is back again. I've learned that the black squirrels are not exactly welcome in BC - but I do think they are quite lovely. (Though not as lovely as eagles....)

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, January 08 2011 @ 02:10 PM EST  
JudyB

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Another visit by the squirrel. I didn't take more s'caps as this isn't a squirrel cam. I'm hearing something rustling near the mic - but am guessing it's the squirrel.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:09 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate