Forum Index > Other Birds and Wildlife > Bears
 Twin Pandas in Madrid Zoo
 |  Printable Version
By: carly (offline) on Tuesday, September 07 2010 @ 04:26 PM EDT (Read 7525 times)  
carly

Lun Lun is an Auntie and Xman and Lani have TWO new cousins...woohoo! Twin cubs born in Madrid!!

BORN two baby PANDA BEAR IN THE ZOO AQUARIUM DE MADRID
by Zoo Aquarium in Madrid on Tuesday, September 7, 2010 at 7:18 pm

First Panda Breeding

Second Panda Breeding

09/07/1910 MADRID .- The Madrid Zoo Aquarium reports that Hua Zui Ba panda has given birth to two cubs after 135 days of gestation. The first birth occurred at 13:40 hours and the second at 15:13 h.

Hua Zui Ba was artificially inseminated on 25 April with semen from the male Bing Xing. Insemination involved in technical staff Madrid Zoo and the Center for Giant Panda Breeding in Chengdu-China (Dr. Lang Jianchao) along the Germplasm Bank of Endangered Wildlife, the National Museum of Natural Sciences (CSIC-MNCN ) and the Department of Animal Physiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Madrid.

These births are the first produced in Spain since he was born 1982 Chulín and third parties in Europe. The two previous occasions have taken place in the Vienna Zoo.

The babies, whose sex is not yet known, weighed about 150 grams each.

After the first birth, Hua Zui Ba behavior was absolutely normal, licking clean the rearing and keeping it on his chest, at the height of the breast. The second part has been conducted, although breeding has been carried to an incubator.

Now the Zoo Aquarium in Madrid focuses all its efforts in that small pandas grow normally. The Giant Panda (Ailuropoda melanoeluca) was first described in 1869 by Father David, French missionary and naturalist. Its name derives from the Nepali and means "eater of bamboo." Their diet consists mainly of bamboo. They have developed a unique structure, the "sixth finger or pseudopulgar" which is an extension of a wrist bone and serves to boot, grab and put in their mouths bamboo.

At present, it is estimated that the population of giant pandas living in China is no more than 1600 copies that are threatened by habitat destruction, while in zoos their number exceeds 250 animals.

For now the public can see by the small, since they will remain isolated for a period not yet defined, to ensure the tranquility that mother and baby need. However, zoo visitors can watch the babies through the television screens have been placed in the installation of giant pandas and as in other parts of the Zoo.

The birth of these babies is a great achievement in the world as it refers to a species in serious danger of extinction, and confirms the Zoo Aquarium in Madrid as one of the most important institutions recognized for their commitment to conservation.

Photos: Gustavo Fernandez. Madrid Zoo Aquarium

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Hélène () on Tuesday, September 07 2010 @ 04:50 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Hélène

Thanks Carly! Awesome news about twins in Madrid. love
I guess it's time for me to do a European Panda Tour next year. Nodding yes

By: carly (offline) on Tuesday, September 07 2010 @ 05:23 PM EDT  
carly

Great to see you again Helene! wave There is a video of the births posted here:

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2010/09/0 ... 82287.html

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: carly (offline) on Friday, September 10 2010 @ 02:40 PM EDT  
carly

Xman's two new cousins are doing well so far! Here is a link to the Madrid Zoo blog - (just put in translator from Spanish to English) - news and a couple of new videos of the babies too!

http://www.zoomadrid.com/blog/

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: macdoum (offline) on Tuesday, September 14 2010 @ 03:58 PM EDT  
macdoum

... and a brief glimpse of the panda twins in Madrid.!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_nwnREv ... r_embedded

Bottle fed,I wonder why ?Puzzled ( well,feeding one I would understand.:dunno: )

Life can be beautiful. Member since12/08/2008

Forum

Alsace France

Profile Email   PM

By: carly (offline) on Wednesday, September 15 2010 @ 06:17 AM EDT  
carly

Article about the twins on Chengdu's web site - as we saw in the birthing video momma did not reject her second baby, she tried to hold it too!

http://www.panda.org.cn/english/news/ne ... newsid=395

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: carly (offline) on Wednesday, September 15 2010 @ 02:23 PM EDT  
carly

I emailed my best friend who is currently living in Spain and speaks and reads Spanish quite well and she translated some of the articles on the Madrid Zoo website for me.

They are employing the twin swapping method with the twin cubs she has confirmed.! She says the panda twins are really big news over there!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: carly (offline) on Thursday, September 16 2010 @ 05:44 PM EDT  
carly

Article on Madrid Zoo pandas from today: Not only did not mom not reject cubbie #2 but she fed both after they were born. The zoo has provided an incubator and they swap them out for her.

http://www.petside.com/petsideblog/2010 ... endang.php

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:31 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate