Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Field Rd Bald Eagle Nest, 2017/2018 season, Sunshine Coast, BC
 |  Printable Version
By: heatherj (offline) on Friday, September 22 2017 @ 12:11 AM EDT (Read 108 times)  
heatherj

Welcome to the Field Rd nest thread for the 2017/2018 Season

If you visit the Field Rd nest in Wilson Creek you are welcome to post comments and pictures here.

This nest was new to the forum in 2016 though the nest has been occupied at least since 2011 and probably a lot longer. The nest is in a big Douglas Fir on private property and any views from public property are from quite a distance or would require bushwacking through scrub. However from our property we have a peek-a-boo view of the back of the nest and as we have quite a few big trees around us we're quite well placed for observations of the activities of the adults and juveniles throughout the year. The pictures may not always be great but hopefully they'll be interesting!!

The nest is in the riparian area of Husdon Creek at the back of a big vacant lot on upper Field Rd. The nest tree can be seen from Field Rd but I haven't been able to see the actual nest as its hidden by foliage. The nest tree is a tall tree with a bent top circled in the picture below. Adult eagles can sometimes be seen sitting in the trees along Field Rd - I'm sure some of them are this couple.

• 2013 - 1 eaglet fledged on or before July 26
  • 2014 - 1 eaglet fledged, date unknown
  • 2015 - 1 eaglet fledged, date unknown
  • 2016 - 1 eaglet fledged on or before July 23
  • 2017 - 2 eaglets seen in the nest. First eaglet fledged on or before July 15. Second eaglet fell from nest on Aug 11 but was rescued and is currently in rehab at OWL with hopes of a successful release sometime in 2018. Updates on the eaglet will be posted to the 2016/2017 thread when available
  • 2018 - ????.

Here's a picture of the nest tree from Field Rd. To take this image I parked at the mail boxes on Wilson Rd and walked a little way down Field Rd to get a clear view of the nest tree. I took this image in March, in the summer there are a lot of leafy trees in the way so the view is not as good.
Click on image to download

What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Forum

Sechelt, BC

Profile Email Website PM

By: heatherj (offline) on Friday, September 22 2017 @ 12:11 AM EDT  
heatherj

Here are some pics from the 2016/2017 Season

Click on image to downloadClick on image to download

What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Forum

Sechelt, BC

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:00 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate