Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Field Rd Nest, 2017/2018 season, Sunshine Coast, BC
 |  Printable Version
By: heatherj (offline) on Friday, September 22 2017 @ 12:11 AM EDT (Read 668 times)  
heatherj

Welcome to the Field Rd nest thread for the 2017/2018 Season

If you visit the Field Rd nest in Wilson Creek you are welcome to post comments and pictures here.

This nest was new to the forum in 2016 though the nest has been occupied at least since 2011 and probably a lot longer. The nest is in a big Douglas Fir on private property and any views from public property are from quite a distance or would require bushwacking through scrub. However from our property we have a peek-a-boo view of the back of the nest and as we have quite a few big trees around us we're quite well placed for observations of the activities of the adults and juveniles throughout the year. The pictures may not always be great but hopefully they'll be interesting!!

The nest is in the riparian area of Husdon Creek at the back of a big vacant lot on upper Field Rd. The nest tree can be seen from Field Rd but I haven't been able to see the actual nest as its hidden by foliage. The nest tree is a tall tree with a bent top circled in the picture below. Adult eagles can sometimes be seen sitting in the trees along Field Rd - I'm sure some of them are this couple.

• 2013 - 1 eaglet fledged on or before July 26
  • 2014 - 1 eaglet fledged, date unknown
  • 2015 - 1 eaglet fledged, date unknown
  • 2016 - 1 eaglet fledged on or before July 23
  • 2017 - 2 eaglets seen in the nest. First eaglet fledged on or before July 15. Second eaglet fell from nest on Aug 11 but was rescued and is currently in rehab at OWL with hopes of a successful release sometime in 2018. Updates on the eaglet will be posted to the 2016/2017 thread when available
  • 2018 - ????.

Here's a picture of the nest tree from Field Rd. To take this image I parked at the mail boxes on Wilson Rd and walked a little way down Field Rd to get a clear view of the nest tree. I took this image in March, in the summer there are a lot of leafy trees in the way so the view is not as good.
Click on image to download

What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Forum

Sechelt, BC

Profile Email Website PM

By: heatherj (offline) on Friday, September 22 2017 @ 12:11 AM EDT  
heatherj

Here are some pics from the 2016/2017 Season

Click on image to downloadClick on image to download

What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Forum

Sechelt, BC

Profile Email Website PM

By: heatherj (offline) on Wednesday, October 18 2017 @ 01:13 AM EDT  
heatherj

Reserved

Forum

Sechelt, BC

Profile Email Website PM

By: heatherj (offline) on Wednesday, October 18 2017 @ 01:15 AM EDT  
heatherj

I saw and heard 1 adult last weekend flying over and perched on one of the pairs favourite trees.

Pics to follow.

Forum

Sechelt, BC

Profile Email Website PM

By: rainna4 (offline) on Wednesday, October 18 2017 @ 05:08 PM EDT  
rainna4

Big hello heatherj !

I have missed so much being on my trip, but back now and excited to hear and see the adults back at the nest. Thank you for the pictures and it sure seems like a challenge just to see the nest tree. Hopefully this next generation of eaglets will be days apart. Thank you for your continued updates and the next few weeks hopefully will result in eggs soon.

Rainna

Ability is what you're capable of doing.
Motivation determines what you do.
Attitude determines how well you do it.
author unknown
AKA: Sandy D

Forum

Wisconsin

Profile Email   PM

By: heatherj (offline) on Thursday, October 19 2017 @ 01:26 AM EDT  
heatherj

Hi Rainna ... and welcome to the thread for the 2017/18 season! I think everyone is hoping for a less dramatic season this time Smile The nest is a bit tricky to see but there are just enough peek-a-boo views to follow the eagles activities through the year.

Both adults are now back in the territory - I got a glimpse of them both together at dusk this evening. We've had some very heavy rain here on the BC Coast today which finally stopped in the early evening and they were both preening in one of their favourite trees. I think they were both trying to dry off a little before settling down for the night! I did take some pictures but they probably won't be very good as the light was fading fast. But perhaps good enough to show that both adults are back home.

I hope you had a great trip and I wish you a happy eagle watching season!

Forum

Sechelt, BC

Profile Email Website PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Thursday, October 19 2017 @ 01:55 PM EDT  
karenbills

Quote by: rainna4

Big hello heatherj !

I have missed so much being on my trip, but back now and excited to hear and see the adults back at the nest. Thank you for the pictures and it sure seems like a challenge just to see the nest tree. Hopefully this next generation of eaglets will be days apart. Thank you for your continued updates and the next few weeks hopefully will result in eggs soon.

Rainna

Sandy - The eagles out here on the west coast are on an entirely different schedule that the ones you watch in Florida. Although they are now returning from their northern migration, they won't be in the nest regularly until after the first of the year when they lay their eggs in mid-Feb. to first part of March.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: rainna4 (offline) on Friday, October 20 2017 @ 08:20 AM EDT  
rainna4

Thank You Karenbills for the update. Very similar time frame to the eagles here in Wisconsin, although we do keep a good many pairs here year around due to the open water and cleanup of the Fox River. The pair in the tree that is 3 blocks from my house (oh yes I know how very lucky I am !), lay eggs around the end of February and I can see little bobble heads toward early/mid April. I'm always anxious to hear when a pair returns to a nesting area, so very many challenges to survive, but down right happiness when a pair returns and the hope of another successful breeding season.

I was impressed yesterday with the growth of our sand hill crane population, equally surprised to hear that some actually make it to Canada for a migration. Did not know that bit of information, but we are in full migration mode here and the estimate will see 10 to 15 thousand at the Navarino Wildlife area. Years ago I was involved in the counting of these beautiful birds. Here is a link if interested. http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/wildlifea ... arino.html

Yes a bit off topic, but I just felt here is yet another example of two countries sharing another bond, the love we share for our wildlife bird/Raptor population Grin

****************Thank you so much for the update heatherj, and you know I would be happy to see your pictures, please do post them.
Yes I had a wonderful trip with 3 very special grandson's! Kept grandma busy never a dull moment, recovery time after I return home, oh yeah
but love it I do. Red Heart

Link to recent broadcast, which the person interviewed stated some make it to Canada, but I see this statement was omitted from the article ?, strange.

http://fox11online.com/news/local/sandh ... dlife-area

Ability is what you're capable of doing.
Motivation determines what you do.
Attitude determines how well you do it.
author unknown
AKA: Sandy D

Forum

Wisconsin

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 09:37 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate