Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Camp Olave Bald Eagle Nest, 2017/2018 season, Sunshine Coast, BC
 |  Printable Version
By: heatherj (offline) on Friday, September 22 2017 @ 12:10 AM EDT (Read 90 times)  
heatherj

Welcome to the Camp Olave nest thread for the 2017/2018 season.

If you visit the nest you are welcome to post comments and/or pictures here. The nest is located on the Sunshine Coast BC, just north of Vancouver. The nest tree is on private property (Camp Olave - Girl Guides camp) but the nest is visible from the beach in front of the camp. This beach is accessible only at low tide unless you have access through the Camp.

This nest was new to the forum in 2016/2017 but I believe that a pair of eagles has been in residence in this territory for quite some time. I have been watching them since 2011 and have seen adults and juveniles in the territory each year. Then in March 2016 I was excited to find their nest. I watched the nest throughout the season but sadly the nest collapsed sometime in April, May or June. I don't know if the chick(s) survived but I did see a juvenile with the adults later in the summer so I'm hopeful. The eagles built a nest in a different tree for the 2016/2017 season and this time had more success with definitely one and possibly two successful fledges . The nest did collapse again though this time much later in the season - I did see both eaglets after the nest collapse but was only able to confirm 1 successful fledge. I will be looking out for the location of the nest this year and hopefully the return of two eaglets. Smile

This pair are neighbours to the Hendersons and the Brownings

• 2016 - Nest collapsed in early summer but possibly 1 eaglet fledged
  • 2017 - 2 eaglets seen in the nest. Nest collapsed sometime between July 31 and Aug 5. Definitely 1 successful fledge on or before Aug 14. No details on whether the second eaglet fledged.
  • 2018 - ???

Here are Ma and Pa from Jan 2017 and the eaglets from July 2017. Link to the 2016/2107 thread
Click on image to downloadClick on image to download

In the map, 2015/2016 nest has an orange circle, the 2016/2017 nest has a red circle and the Henderson nest has a green circle.
Click on image to download

What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Forum

Sechelt, BC

Profile Email Website PM

By: heatherj (offline) on Friday, September 22 2017 @ 12:10 AM EDT  
heatherj

Reserved

What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Forum

Sechelt, BC

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:00 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate