Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Marlene Rd Bald Eagle Nest, Strait of Georgia in Roberts Creek on the Sunshine Coast BC 2017-2018
 |  Printable Version
By: stim (offline) on Tuesday, September 12 2017 @ 06:23 PM EDT (Read 275 times)  
stim

Thank you for dropping by this nest forum. The nest is on private property almost at the beach in Roberts Creek on the Sunshine Coast in British Columbia.
HWF member Karen discovered by talking with neighbours that apparently the eagles have been in this neighbourhood for years, changing trees every now and then. This nest was apparently built about 3 years ago.
This was our first year following it. Many neighbours do not seem aware of its existence yet.
The address would be of a house on Beach Ave but the nest can be seen best on Marlene Rd. just behind the mailboxes below Beach Ave.
This is one of 3 nests in a row along the beach.
Please feel free to comment or to post photos if you visit the nest or our forum.

There was 1 big well fed eaglet in this nest this past year. We do not have reports of its flying but we hope it fledged successfully.

2017...1 eaglet

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Tuesday, September 12 2017 @ 06:24 PM EDT  
stim

This is the nest as I last photographed it on July 18. It has broken off on our left side. I do not know what the back of it looks like.
Click on image to download

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Tuesday, September 12 2017 @ 06:24 PM EDT  
stim

Reserved.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Friday, October 27 2017 @ 09:26 PM EDT  
stim

I got the opportunity today, a beautiful sunny day, to visit our couple and found them at home. Pa and his stick provided the humour we see on HWF cams. He flew off just as I approached the tree but returned quickly.
Lots of rebuilding to do. The nest had broken apart somewhat at the end of last season. Perhaps recent storms finished it off. I'm very glad to see them rebuilding in the same tree. I just hope this nest is stable. fingers crossed
I got a chance to get a picture of Ma looking out in the direction Pa flew before he returned.

In he flew, stick in his talons.

Only to land immediately beside Ma on her perch. She's looking at me as if to say "See what I put up with?"

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Friday, October 27 2017 @ 09:31 PM EDT  
stim

Much shuffling, transferring stick from talons to mouth went on, pushing against Ma.

Using his wing atop her head to assist his attempts to turn around on the branch while holding onto his stick, now in his mouth.

Turning.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Friday, October 27 2017 @ 09:34 PM EDT  
stim

Still turning around.

Almost there.

Done! He simply dropped the stick into the nest after all that commotion. I like how Ma is looking at him.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Saturday, October 28 2017 @ 01:00 AM EDT  
sassyk

Great sequence of photos Sandra Left thumb up The action must have been hilarious to watch Grin

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Saturday, October 28 2017 @ 11:13 AM EDT  
stim

It seemed to go on and on Kay. I'm glad I got pictures to see the detail of what was happening. I just know Pa seemed stuck on his perch with his stick and Ma was doing nothing to help. Grin
Great to see you here. hug

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 04:06 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate