Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Oak Bay Eagles - 2017/2018 Season
 |  Printable Version
By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, September 06 2017 @ 03:31 PM EDT (Read 632 times)  
sassyk

Welcome to the Oak Bay Eagles thread for the 2017/2018 season. There are 4 nests within the Municipality of Oak Bay, known as the Fire Hall, Golf Course, Anderson Hill and Uplands (aka Lansdowne) nests, that have been monitored by the locals for many years. The Fire Hall nest produced two eaglets this past season as did the Uplands nest but the Golf Course and Anderson Hill nests did not produce any young. During past years, the eagles in these nests have produced many young and we look forward to a successful season for all of these eagles. Information and photos from past seasons can be found here. Please feel welcome to post your observations, photos and videos of the eagles that inhabit these nests if you visit their nest area.

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Saturday, September 16 2017 @ 08:56 PM EDT  
elle

On Monday this past week we kayaked the Oak Bay shoreline from Cattle Point to Ten Mile Point, around Cadboro Bay past Upland and back. We could see the Uplands nest clearly. It is certainly a different vantage from the waterside.
We also drove around to all the various known nests in Oak Bay. There is no evidence of Bald Eagle returns yet but all of the nests look ripe for a bit of renovation and upkeep.
We hope for a successful return and season to come.

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Friday, September 22 2017 @ 07:13 PM EDT  
elle

We resumed our usual Friday afternoon tour of the Oak Bay nests and lo and behold we saw an eagle across from the Golf Course in a favourite perch. It looks like a female. I will be back with some pix.
First sighting this fall and an early one !

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Friday, September 22 2017 @ 08:14 PM EDT  
elle

Here are the pix from today's sighting.

Click on image to download

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Friday, September 22 2017 @ 08:31 PM EDT  
sassyk

Thanks for your report & photos elle.

Marie saw one of the Fire Hall eagles at 7 am this morning out on the channel marker. She also saw one from the Golf Course at the top of the nest tree at 7:45 am this morning. Seems some of them are coming back early this year Clapping

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Sunday, September 24 2017 @ 03:19 PM EDT  
elle

Too bad Marie is not a HWF member and does not post updates and photos here. If she did, her report would be the first one of the season on this forum.
I spoke with Harry on Friday afternoon and he said he saw 2 eagles fly over his current residence that morning as well. They were heading toward Oak Bay. Harry has his camera equipment replaced now and is keen to get out with Ian and me to take some photos. We look forward to that.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Sunday, September 24 2017 @ 03:42 PM EDT  
sassyk

Quote by: elle

Too bad Marie is not a HWF member and does not post updates and photos here. If she did, her report would be the first one of the season on this forum.

Your comment is a bit puzzling to me. Are you suggesting that because Marie is not an active member of HWF her observations are not valid or are not appreciated here on the forum? Marie visited the site of the Great Horned Owls nesting at the Forestry Centre a few years ago and considered attending the Owl Fledgefest but was too busy with other commitments. She is an avid birder, and has been a volunteer with WiTS for at least 18 years. The nests she has been monitoring regularly are all of the Oak Bay nests and Ten Mile Pt. but she also visits other nests with me and some of the other WiTS volunteers. She has other volunteer duties as well so her days are quite full. However, she has given me permission to post her observations here on the forum and will sometimes give me permission to post her beautiful photos. Neither Marie nor I are interested in being 'the first' ones to report on eagle sightings. Our main objective is to visit the nests to make sure they are intact, the eagles have returned safely to their nest territories, and their eaglets are safe & developing as they should throughout the nesting season. More eyes watching will give the eagles a better chance of successfully raising their young to fledging and will also add to David's research projects.

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Sunday, September 24 2017 @ 09:44 PM EDT  
elle

Kay: I simply said it would be nice if Marie was a member and posted here. We all look forward to and rejoice the first sighting. It is not not about being first.
I hope you can post the pictures she took last Friday morning.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 02:59 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate