Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Ma & Pa Sidney BC Bald Eagles -Patricia Bay - 2017-2018 Season
 |  Printable Version
By: elle (offline) on Wednesday, August 30 2017 @ 04:03 PM EDT (Read 906 times)  
elle

Welcome to the Ma and Pa Sidney BC - Pat Bay thread for 2017-2018

Ma and Pa Sidney did not raise any young in 2017.

The most recent nest is located on a large private property. For security reasons the property owner does not want the location to be divulged on social media. She has also asked for discretion by those who know where the nest is located. Trespassers will be prosecuted.

The Epicure nest is still intact but the 50 acre subdivided parcel that was for sale has now sold and the nest is located on that portion. So the nest is no longer on land owned by Epicure. It remains to be seen what, if anything, will happen on the subdivided land where the nest is located.

Visitors to the Pat Bay area are welcome to share their observations, photos and videos of Ma & Pa Sidney. They are often seen perched in trees along the shore and sometimes even on the beach itself.

We all wish this beloved pair success in the coming year.

Last year's thread can be viewed here here

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Saturday, September 16 2017 @ 09:01 PM EDT  
elle

We drove through Ma and Pa's Pat Bay territory today and we did not see them . We wish them a safe return and a productive season this coming year.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elainemyrkle (offline) on Tuesday, September 19 2017 @ 04:33 PM EDT  
elainemyrkle

Thank you so much for taking the time to try to see them. I really appreciate your efforts. My two favorite pair. Red Heart

Elaine
Bangor, Michigan
Joined Aug. 23, 2006
My avatar is the first one I used in the forum. The cuke eyes are a memorial to our beloved Wendy Minshall who passed away too early in life. R.I.P. my dear friend.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Tuesday, September 19 2017 @ 08:54 PM EDT  
elle

Elaine: I will never abandon Ma and Pa. They were my first love.

You mention Wendy Minshall in your signature. Attached are the photos of the memorial I made to her when she died 10 years ago yesterday. Note the slices of cucumber. Smile
Attached to the fence facing the Oak tree nest we all loved so much.

Click on image to download

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: elainemyrkle (offline) on Tuesday, September 26 2017 @ 10:03 AM EDT  
elainemyrkle

Oh Elle, It's hard to believe it's been ten years already. I had so much fun with Wendy while we were watching Ma, Pa, Big and Lil in the early mornings. She was so full of life an humor and I miss her so much. I can remember the memorial you made for her as well. Thank you for posting it again. Big Hugs to you my friend.

Elaine
Bangor, Michigan
Joined Aug. 23, 2006
My avatar is the first one I used in the forum. The cuke eyes are a memorial to our beloved Wendy Minshall who passed away too early in life. R.I.P. my dear friend.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Sunday, October 01 2017 @ 08:11 PM EDT  
elle

Took a drive through the Pat Bay territory after dropping a mainland friend off at the ferry for the 7 p.m. sailing back home. No signs of Ma or Pa Sad

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, October 04 2017 @ 08:15 PM EDT  
sassyk

I toured the nests on the peninsula today and saw only 1 eagle. But that very special eagle was our Pa Wub As I was driving around the north end of Pat Bay I saw a dark blob in Pa's almost bare perch tree at the end of the Epicure property. I knew it wasn't big enough to be an eagle and when I got closer I saw it was a beautiful dark Red-tailed Hawk. I took a few photos then it flew to Ma's perch tree. It didn't stay there very long and when I turned around to leave I got a wonderful surprise Left thumb up Pa was perched at the top of their usual perch tree at the corner of the property. He was watching 2 Turkey Vultures circling around the field then the hawk joined them. A few times I thought I heard another eagle calling in the distance but after checking their nest area and the area around the Epicure property I didn't see any other eagles. The hawk landed in a tree at the corner of W. Saanich and Wain Rd. while I was parked by the pumping station and I managed to get 1 photo as it flew off. I'll be back with some photos of Pa who was still perched in the same tree when I drove by on my way to Sidney Left thumb up

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because
then you won't have a leg to stand on! ~ Author Unknown

Member since June 2006

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Nora (offline) on Wednesday, October 04 2017 @ 10:01 PM EDT  
Nora

Hi Kay and Elle, Thanks Kay for that posting and info. It was so wonderful to meet you the other day Kay. Today we went to the Sidney nest and first we saw a mature eagle on the hunt tree by the ocean and then saw two mature eagles in the epicure fences area on the usual tree by the fence. So three eagles. What do you think. Can you help to id who they are and are they Ma and Pa and who is the other mature who was just up the road. Thanks so much. It is exciting that they are back and it was wonderful to walk by the fence and to see them like the old days. And I remember Wendy so well and have a photo of her by my computer! I forgot how put picture in again.

aka oldocean

Forum

All times are EST. The time is now 02:59 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate