Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Roberts Bay Bald Eagles- Sidney BC - 2017-2018 Season
 |  Printable Version
By: elle (offline) on Wednesday, August 30 2017 @ 03:39 PM EDT (Read 1143 times)  
elle

Welcome to the Roberts Bay Sidney BC Bald Eagles thread.

This thread is dedicated to observations, photos and videos of the eagles who inhabit a nest on private property overlooking Roberts Bay in Sidney BC on Vancouver Island.

The 2017 season was a very special one because we watched this Bald Eagle pair not only successfully raise 3 eaglets to fledging but also a Red Tailed Hawk. This anomaly garnered worldwide attention. It was a marvel and a privilege to watch and share the activities at this nest.

We wish them every success in the coming year.

Last year's thread can be viewed here

Compassion is the most powerful weapon against negative forces.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: CSG (offline) on Wednesday, August 30 2017 @ 04:23 PM EDT  
CSG

Quote by: elle

Welcome to the Roberts Bay Sidney BC Bald Eagles thread.

Thanks for the new thread Elle . . . so excited it's almost that time again!

While we all miss Spunky, I'm glad to hear that his cousin, Harvey the Hurricane Hawk is doing well in Houston. That is one determined raptor with a strong will to live!Bravo

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: rainna4 (offline) on Thursday, August 31 2017 @ 09:24 AM EDT  
rainna4

Welcome back elle, I'm sure you had yourself a wonderful time of renewal of the heart and soul...........it's so wonderful to watch the eagles from egg to departure but alas it's also hard on the old heart strings at the same time..........some folks seem to do better at the empty nest syndrome then others!

After the previous season it may well be nice to have a semi-normal new season soon, boy it sure was fun and exciting and hopefully Spunky is getting ready for some courtin of his own with his own kind !

Glad your home

Rainna

Ability
is what you're capable of doing.
Motivation
determines what you do.
Attitude
determines how well you do it.
author unknown

Forum

Wisconsin

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Thursday, August 31 2017 @ 10:19 PM EDT  
elle

Thanks Sandy and CSG.
You two are one step ahead of me. Smile I have initiated new threads but have not completed the preambles yet. That will come anon.
Not a problem and not to worry. I am certainly encouraged and invigorated and inspired by your enthusiasm.
I had a wonderful annual August cottage vacation, thank you, with many unusual wildlife adventures this year.
I look forward to another year of bald eagle watching and monitoring.
I doubt there can be a another year like Spunky Hawklet but you never know. Wherever Spunky may be I hope all of our good wishes go with him.
Live long and prosper dear Spunky.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: rainna4 (offline) on Wednesday, September 13 2017 @ 07:41 AM EDT  
rainna4

Morning elle and all...did you see the video from Nora on the possibility of a Spunky visit? Here is the link with Nora's permission and question on what you may think if it's him or not?? Sure looks like it to me and wouldn't that be just wonderful if it is Red Heart It's from Sept., 12 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydbim2u ... e=youtu.be

Not at all afraid of Nora, in fact seems very comfortable with her closeness....I wonder if someone could let us know how many physical/color changes would be now that he's a few months older then when we last saw him. Looks like the tail might have a hint of color change to it and is that expected now??

We need an expert eye to check this out, if possible.

Thanks and crossing my talons for this being our beloved Spunky/Stephen H/Hawklett/ and any other names people used.

Rainna
ps: After everything that has happened between Texas and Florida, I feel this possibility of a Spunky sighting is very heart felt needed for my soul. All my loved one's have made it through these disasters but continued prayers for so many others!

Ability
is what you're capable of doing.
Motivation
determines what you do.
Attitude
determines how well you do it.
author unknown

Forum

Wisconsin

Profile Email   PM

By: elle (offline) on Wednesday, September 13 2017 @ 11:18 AM EDT  
elle

Wow Sandy. That could be him. I will look at Nora's blog pictures and check with David and Lesley. The development for his age looks right to me. I will do a bit of research on that too.
Very exciting.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Wednesday, September 13 2017 @ 11:57 AM EDT  
karenbills

Thanks for the link to Nora's video of the Red-tailed Hawk, Sandy. I don't think hawks get their red tail until about a year later. I have sent the link to David Hancock for verification.

I have read of incidences in the past where Red-tails have allowed people to come close. So we really have no way of knowing if it is Spunky, as much as we'd love to believe it.

ETA: I just spoke with David who looked at Nora's video that I sent him and he says that is definitely a young Red-tail so, who knows, it could be our Spunky.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

By: elle (offline) on Wednesday, September 13 2017 @ 01:06 PM EDT  
elle

Thanks Karen. I just left a message for Lesley, too.

Member since August 2006

Forum

Victoria, BC, Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:08 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate