Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Fort St. Vrain, Colorado - Bald Eagle Cam - 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, February 16 2010 @ 02:47 PM EST  
JudyB

12:41 mountain time
Someone is on the nest now, in incubating position so I'm guessing there is still an egg.

It looks like a sunny day, so the egg can probably be uncovered for quite a while. And parents do often leave the first egg uncovered some of the time to slow its development so the eggs will hatch close together.

But it is true that eagles nesting for the first time don't necessarily have all the instincts in place yet - and it is possible that this is a young Mom (though probably an experienced Dad - but he may be expecting the female to do most of the incubating).

I think it will be useful to keep track of the time the egg(s) are left uncovered - especially after the second egg arrives. If all goes well, it will be useful information as reassurance for other nests we watch in the future. If not - it may give us a reason for a failure.

I am hoping/expecting all will be well - but I will try to keep an eye on them, just in case.

Added:
I forgot that they have pics from the last 24 hours available on their website at
http://birdcam.xcelenergy.com/eagle_day.asp - click on a time to see the pics from that hour, keeping in mind that pics from the previous day will be there until the corresponding pic from today replaces it; if you click on a pic, you'll see a much larger version. They generally show the side view pics for an hour first, then the more overhead view.

Based on the timestamp in the pics, the incubating eagle left around 10:56 pm and one of them returned and took up incubating around 12:02 pm. I don't know what the temperature there is, but it appears to be a sunny day, so the egg should be OK.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Tuesday, February 16 2010 @ 03:26 PM EST  
golden1

I was out this morning...it is 35 degrees in this general area now and will be in the low 40's most of the afternoon. snow on Thursday and turning colder until Sat when it will again be in the high 40's.

I looked at the still pics and noted that the nest had been unattended for about an hour and 10 min. I could not tell if there were any switches but a second eagle came to the nest at about 9:40. Judy I think you recorded the time....

In between chores I will watch this nest this afternoon. I did not see an egg but they have a thick bedding layer in the nest.....Hope to see another egg today or tomorrow

scatter kindness and splash joy
donna ~ applewooddy ~Colorado...........6/22/09

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, February 16 2010 @ 03:48 PM EST  
JudyB

Thanks, Donna!

1:46 pm
Adult has been standing beside the nest cut for about 10 minutes. Her(?) shadow is blocking where I think the egg is, so I didn't see it.
Now back into nesting position, and from this angle, I think it might be Dad.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Tuesday, February 16 2010 @ 03:51 PM EST  
golden1

Judy I thought I saw the brown markings on her head and thought it was mom, but can't be sure. I did not see an egg either...the eagle was standing, preening etc from 1:38 to 1:47....nice to see the sunshine there.

1:52 to 2:00 eagles continues to incubate
2:00 other eagle flies into the nest. they walk around the nest and the eagle that had been incubating the egg flies off at 3 o'clok and at 2:04 the other eagle leaves the nest. Nest unattended.

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, February 16 2010 @ 04:06 PM EST  
JudyB

2:03 pm
Both on the nest
Then both stood up and moved around
Then both left - that isn't exactly the way an exchange usually works....
I don't see the egg, but the nest cup looks nice and deep, and we are looking at quite an angle, so I'm quite sure it's there.

I couldn't actually tell who was who - their sizes didn't seem as different as some pairs - though that may also be the angle.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Velma Flann (offline) on Tuesday, February 16 2010 @ 04:15 PM EST  
Velma Flann

Is this the egg. When this is blown up, it appears to be a white spot there.
Click on image to download
Hmmmm. I'll try to blow that up and post again.
Click on image to download

Forum

Lillooet, B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, February 16 2010 @ 04:22 PM EST  
JudyB

It might be, Velma - it's more than I'd been able to see. Left thumb up Adult returned around 2:20 pm, and I thought I got a glimpse as he or she poked around.

Still not quite settled in.

2:22 pm
Now nestled in, facing away from the cam.

Added -
Neck looks long and sleek, something I associate with males. And he(?) is looking around rather than relaxing - but not moving sticks, which is definitely something I associate with males who are bored with incubating. Wink

2:45 pm
Up again, standing beside nest cup. That's not something I'd associate with an established male - they may get bored, but they incubate until the female returns (or at least that's the impression I have).

Off to the website to see if a larger pic will show the tailfeathers better.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Tuesday, February 16 2010 @ 04:23 PM EST  
golden1

2:19 eagle flies in to the nest at 3 o'clock. settles over the egg cup and moves about to get settled.

Velma thanks for the large pic....the egg cup is pretty deep so it is hard to see from either overhead or side view....

Glad to see the eagle return quickly.

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:54 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate